uniqs

Death2U
Premium Member
join:2006-01-22

Death2U to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall

Re: how to make roadrunner faster

Mostly the cap is done through a throttling method, if you're getting over advertised speed as I used to, it is likely no accident. Cable is so spotty house to house, unlike distance based dsl. The guy next to me could have been getting 3m even or slightly below. Why not if not many have it and the network pipeline is clean and open. Makes for good PR with RR's first customers.

BBACIS
Premium Member
join:2002-11-23
Hope Mills, NC

BBACIS

Premium Member

said by Death2U:

Mostly the cap is done through a throttling method,
Interesting. Tell me more about this throttling method.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Death2U

MVM

to Death2U
said by Death2U:

Mostly the cap is done through a throttling method
You are 100% incorrect. The cap is done via a configuration file that's uploaded to your modem. Different modems, based on their MAC address, can have different config files. That's why someone with RR Lite, someone with RR standard, and someone with RR Premium can all have the exact same model of modems.

BBACIS
Premium Member
Hope Mills, NC

BBACIS

Premium Member

said by Hall:

said by Death2U:

Mostly the cap is done through a throttling method
You are 100% incorrect. The cap is done via a configuration file that's uploaded to your modem. Different modems, based on their MAC address, can have different config files. That's why someone with RR Lite, someone with RR standard, and someone with RR Premium can all have the exact same model of modems.
I was trying to take more of an indirect approach, but there you have it.

Just a friendly suggestion...
Hound, you may want to research some of the information your putting out there as fact before you post it.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I don't want false information to sit around uncontested for others to read...

BBACIS
Premium Member
Hope Mills, NC

BBACIS

Premium Member

said by Hall:

I don't want false information to sit around uncontested for others to read...
LMAO...

SOLdesign
Did I drink a shot of Irrational Whore?
Premium Member
join:2002-07-29
Woodland Hills, CA

SOLdesign to Death2U

Premium Member

to Death2U
said by Death2U:

Mostly the cap is done through a throttling method, if you're getting over advertised speed as I used to, it is likely no accident. Cable is so spotty house to house, unlike distance based dsl. The guy next to me could have been getting 3m even or slightly below. Why not if not many have it and the network pipeline is clean and open. Makes for good PR with RR's first customers.
wow, if you actually buy in to anything you just typed, I have some spectacular land in the Everglades to sell you...

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

1 edit

MysticGogeta to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
If your that intrested take a look in ol rogers thread and read up they can tell you throttling connections and how its done LOL
(glad i dont have rogers)

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I'm familiar enough with packet shaping or throttling based on ports. I never disputed that that was possible. I've NEVER heard of a RR division that does it though.

Death2U
Premium Member
join:2006-01-22

Death2U

Premium Member

said by Hall:

I'm familiar enough with packet shaping or throttling based on ports. I never disputed that that was possible. I've NEVER heard of a RR division that does it though.
They do in their words according to network traffic. It don't seem to have a horrible impact here on P2P unless you set upload 1 Kilobyte too high, then you get a huge dropoff, not a gradual one. It is tolerable but these things are getting more universal as isp's get more QoS complaints. They see it as a low cost solution(yeah right). As far as loading an unofficial config.bin, it was a theoretical statement that if the network didn't limit traffic from one IP, someone would hack the code to some modems. Some script kiddies are very smart, but very stupid for being one. Their motivation? Don't ask me but I see hack programs all the time on file sharing networks. I know I wouldn't make a tool just for the sake of distributing it to the masses, but that's just me.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
united state

DannyZ

Premium Member

Are you saying your download drops if you set your upload too high?

And since RR locks down SNMP, it's pretty much impossible to change your own config. No matter how smart a 'script kiddie' is, no SNMP = no uncapping.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I believe how it works is your download is throttled based on ports, i.e. typical P2P ports like 6699 would have a "cap" whereas standard web browsing would be full speed. The torrent client I use, uTorrent, has an option to use random ports, presumably to avoid/defeat either port-blocking or throttling.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
united state

DannyZ

Premium Member

I know that's how most throttling works, but I believe The Hound's throttling issue really isn't throttling at all...