how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NM Rancher

join:2006-01-30
Cochiti Lake, NM

SkyWay and SkyFX forums

I am just beginning to look into satellite internet service.
I certainly do need some faster service than the maximum speed of 24kbps my dial-up ISP provides. DSL and cable is not available to me.
I have been exploring the service of Direcway, and while doing so, I have come across a references to one-way satellite services such as SkyWay and SkyFX that provide service at about half the mothly cost of Dway.
Is there any other forums concerning SkyFX or SkyWay that I can read or join to learn more about the pros and cons of these services?
Waht about Broadband? Are these two providers talked about within Broadband?

Island Jeff

join:2005-07-18

Not if you want to upload or send anything.

Rfsjr2
Shop on Top
Premium
join:2001-08-11
Ferndale, WA
reply to NM Rancher

»www.skywayusa.com/

You mean this? If so, AVOID. Their RUP is onerous.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
reply to NM Rancher

My advice, stick to WB or DWAY....the one way stuff is painful and still requires a phone line. So, unless you want busy signals, most people would have a line dedicated to the modem anyway, so add that cost to the cost of the one-way service. At that point, you are getting pretty close to the cost of the WB Value Pack.

I have WB, and love it.

HDMan
--
The proper way to break in a Harley: Grab a fist full of throttle, and ride it like you stole it!!!

Jeff31UK2

join:2004-01-17
Charlottesville, VA
reply to NM Rancher

I have both SkyWay (mid-tear) and Wildblue (pro pack). If you factor in the price of a 2nd phone line Wildblue (value pack) is cheaper. I use VNC and remote desktop a lot and I was surprised that Wildblue (2-way) has similar latency to Skyway (1-way), and its great having an 'always on' connection. The RUP on Skyway is terrible, you can surf for a couple of hours a day but don't even think about streaming media/downloading anything (anything!).

Support wise - Skyway is pretty bad. One time I phoned up and was told that their support person was only in on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons !!! Every time I call Wildblue someone is there to help.

Wildblue is a growing company and there will be teathing troubles, but I am more than happy to recommend them over anybody else for consumer satellite.

SkyWayGuy

join:2006-02-25
Louisville, KY

Jeff31UK,
FYI, there is a device available called "Catch-A-Call" ($39.95,no monthly) that allows you to be online and answer your phone at the saame time, thus eliminating the need for a 2nd phone line.
As far as the rup is concerned (256k pkg. is 1000Mb,512k and 768k is 2500Mb, and the 1.5Mbps pkg. is 6Gb during continuous 30 day periods), it's more than enough for the average user. Also the "Midnight Madness" program allows user to download to his heart's content in all times zones til 6:00 a.m without affecting the RUP.
SkyWay's customer service department is open 9 to 9 daily, and due to the simplistic system, requires very few service calls, unlike 2 way systems.

randyvsatus
Premium
join:2005-03-03
Monument, CO
reply to NM Rancher

said by NM Rancher:

I am just beginning to look into satellite internet service...What about Broadband? Are these two providers talked about within Broadband?
I'll answer the second one first...a argument could be made that no satellite service other than Enterprise setups costing a thousand or more a month can be called broadband!...but, there are many products out there that outperform what you have....and they don't cost much more per month than you now pay for a phone line + dial up internet.

If you can afford $300-$500 and $49-$79 per mo, you can get pretty fast two way internet. If not, I personally would stay with dial up. One way systems, other than a product Dway won't sell any longer (DW 3000) are not a very good solution.
--
Surfbeam ku|5000/768|1.2M |4 Watt|IA 8||Adelphia cable|3500/450

Define-Broadband

@12.175.x.x

quote:
a argument could be made that no satellite service other than Enterprise setups costing a thousand or more a month can be called broadband!...

Broadband Definition

Broadband refers to the ability of the user to view content across the internet that includes large files, such as video, audio and 3D. Broadband refers to an increased ability to do so. The term narrowband can refer to the inability to do so. A user's broadband capability is typically governed by the last mile issue, the connection between the ISP and the user.
»www.definethat.com/define/281.htm

As long as your ISP meets your needs, that's all that is important.

There is no doubt in my mind that using a one-way sat-download service that requires a telephone line plus a local ISP is not the way to go. Having a satellite ISP is your first choice here, unless you can access DSL, Cable, etc...but rural folks usually don't have these options.
Expand your moderator at work

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL
reply to NM Rancher

Re: SkyWay and SkyFX forums

quote:
FYI, there is a device available called "Catch-A-Call" ($39.95,no monthly) that allows you to be online and answer your phone at the saame time, thus eliminating the need for a 2nd phone line.
Also look for PCI modems that support "Modem-On-Hold" and "NetWaiting" feature and don't spend $40 on an external device that can be found in a $10-$20 modem.
--
DW6000 .74 AMC9 1410MHz on 700Kbps/128Kbps CE plan at Fort Riley, Kansas.
WildBlue Beam: 31 on 1.0Mbps/200Kbps plan at Indian Springs, Nevada.

Jeff31UK2

Charlottesville, VA
reply to NM Rancher

SkyWayGuy: With regards to SkyWay support, maybe I just had bad luck when I called, and maybe the support department can handle most calls. I actually had a question about PPTP (VPN) not working for me, and they said that they would have ask the guy who wrote the software for the Sw-10 modem. He didn't get back to me after a couple of calls. No big deal, I can get around it with SSH. Also, Its a localized thing I believe - but I often have trouble authenticating to the SkyWay ISP (modem), and have to retry dialing many times, and getting dropped calls.

I just wanted to make something clear about the RUP. I have the mid-tier ($50/Month) plan and the RUP works like this (please let me know if this has changed or is wrong):

0 to 500 MB 512 Kbps
500 to 1000 MB 384 Kbps
1000 to 1500 MB 256 Kbps
1500 to 2500 MB 128 Kbps
2500 +MB 64 Kbps

So - if I download more than 500MB in a month then my speed is reduced. I wanted to keep the maximum speed, so kept my downloads less than 500MB. (17MB/Day). As you say, for a 'normal' home user thats fine. As long as all you do is browse. However, when I work from home I use >100MB/day simply working on remote computers.

The midnight madness thing is great. Problem is I don't want to have to stay up past midnight just to download things, so its not very useful to me. I have to be awake for my job during the day

SkyWayGuy

join:2006-02-25
Louisville, KY

Jeff,
2500 is for 30 day period. 2500 divided by 30= 83.33 per day. 83.33 X 7 days= 583.31 per week. As long as you stay under the 583 during 7 days you shouldn't be rupped.

Jeff31UK2

Charlottesville, VA
reply to NM Rancher

SkywayGuy: Thankyou for the info. So the tier rate is per week then, and 500MB/Week will mean no reduction in speed. Interesting. Apologies, I didn't realize that.