Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pchronos

join:2006-02-07
Laval, QC

1 edit

[ENG] TM402P reset

Every day or so my Linksys BEFRE41 loses its WAN IP.
Rebooting the router does not help. Only if I reset the cable modem does the router get an IP again.

Of course this kills the telephone service and my alarm company ends up calling after service is restored.

Anyone else having this problem ?
Any ideas ?

Thanks

ColdShuts
Cold As Ice
Premium
join:2005-08-30
Saint-Hubert, QC
- When the router loses the WAN IP, you still have the phone line?
- Have you tried to plug a computer directly to the modem and see if it loses the ip too?
- If you just release/renew the ip...?
- Did you notice any robot voice, communication failure or any other problems with your telephones?
--
Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to all life's problems.

pchronos

Laval, QC
- When the router loses the WAN IP, you still have the phone line?

YES

- Have you tried to plug a computer directly to the modem and see if it loses the ip too?

NO, I will try that

- If you just release/renew the ip...?

No difference, just like powering off/on the router.
Reset the modem and the router gets an IP even before I can renew the IP lease.

- Did you notice any robot voice, communication failure or any other problems with your telephones?

No, telephone works perfectly.

ColdShuts
Cold As Ice
Premium
join:2005-08-30
Saint-Hubert, QC
reply to pchronos
I'm not sur, but if you have the same problem when you plug your computer in, I would suspect the modem to be defective. If you don't have a problem with your computer in, I would suspect the modem...

Just my opinion, I would appreciate additionnal inputs from other peoples on this topic.
--
Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to all life's problems.

Frank_IT
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Montreal
reply to pchronos
Are you doing something specific when the net drop ?

Try updating the firmware of your router..

I had something like that with my befsr81... since i changed it, its ok
--
Vidéotron - Download @ 10 bits - Upload @ 900 kbits
My home Network

pchronos

Laval, QC
reply to pchronos
Thanks for the responses everyone.

The router has the latest firmware and I do not think it is a router problem since it worked fine with DSL.

Basically everything works well for a day or so and then no Internet from the PC or Xbox. Telephones work and the model looks ok ( lights ). Router status shows no WAN IP ( everything empty ) Release/Renew IP does nothing. Power cycle the router does nothing. Reset the modem and everything is back to normal.

I will try with a laptop directly on the modem and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Frank_IT
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Montreal
reply to pchronos
Its not because it work with DSL that its ok on DHCP..

try with your pc like you said.

Me to it worked on DSL.. but on DHCP.. i was loosing ip and needed to reset the modem. (i had the sb5100 at that time)
--
Vidéotron - Download @ 10 bits - Upload @ 900 kbits
My home Network

ePhoenix

join:2004-11-06
canada
reply to pchronos
I've got the same thing on my old BEFSR41. It was the firmware who didn't renew the WAN dhcp lease after expiration.

The new firmware corrected that problem.

But before I've got a new firmware from linksys, I used a script who logon the router and do a dhcp release, dhcp renew every hour. I was the only way to keep my connection up and running....

Hope this help!

pchronos

Laval, QC
downloadBEFSR41V3_v1···code.zip 236,245 bytes
(BEFSR41V3_v1.06.05_000_code.bin)
OK, It looks like a router problem after all. I have v3 of the model and there is a well documented issue with WAN side DHCP. Basically, it never gets renewed. I was on DSL before using PPPOE so never had this problem.

I am trying the latest firmware for the BEFSR41v3 that I could find in hope that the issue was resolved. Only other alrernative after that is change to a diffent router model it seems.

In any case, here is the lastest BEFSR41v3 firmware for anyone interested. It is very recent actually.

Thanks everyone.

pchronos

Laval, QC
Well that did not work ! At least I do not have to power cycle anything with this firmware version. Release/Renew in the router's web interface works.

Anyone know which ( if any ) firmware version fixes this WAN DHCP renewal problem. Specifically for the V3 version of the BEFSR41 router.

I am about to toss this blue brick out the ^&%#$@ window !

ePhoenix

join:2004-11-06
canada
reply to pchronos
I used 1.47.06 but it was on a V2... For V3, I don't known...

I changed my BEFSR41 V2 for a WRT54G and it works fine...

pchronos

Laval, QC
downloadDHCP.zip 2,297 bytes
(DHCP.exe)
I could not find a script to renew the Router's WAN IP so I wrote a tiny console app that works very well. I have attached it to help others cursed with this router.

Simply create a scheduled task for it and run it every 12 hrs or so. Pass your router's IP, Username and Password as parameters. If you have problems add an extra parameter ( anything ) to see debugging information.

It is written in C# so the dot-net framework is required.

Good luck.