Jafo232
You Can't Spell Democrat Without Rat.
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Boonville, NY

Jafo232

Premium Member

Good Luck

Good luck, but I do believe the recording for your own personal use has already be addressed.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

2 edits

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Jafo232:

Good luck, but I do believe the recording for your own personal use has already be addressed.
If HBO was allowed to legally block off recording of their SVOD content(as opposed to their usual HBO channels, which is not the content being discussed here), I would see that as being anti-consumer and would refuse to use their content(both subscription and otherwise). If they actually went thru with this, it would hurt their business and profits. Not a very smart move.

SVOD defined:»www.ncta.com/Docs/PageCo ··· geID=107
Subscription Video on Demand, or SVOD, is a Video on Demand service offered at a flat (subscription) price that provides viewers with unlimited access to select programs from the libraries of featured cable networks.
In other words, not their regular channels, but the HBO VOD offerings which comes as part of a pkg when subscribing to their regular scheduled channels. And I don't know about all cable systems, but COMCAST doesn't allow you to record any VOD content now with their DVRs. I guess HBO is concerned about people using their own instead of the cable company supplied DVRs.

yeabut
@208.17.x.x

yeabut to Jafo232

Anon

to Jafo232
Yea, but their worried about the morons who put it on the internet, make copies of the whole season and give it to friends...etc.

Jafo232
You Can't Spell Democrat Without Rat.
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Boonville, NY

4 recommendations

Jafo232

Premium Member

said by yeabut :

Yea, but their worried about the morons who put it on the internet, make copies of the whole season and give it to friends...etc.
And that is new how? Pirating is already illegal, passing further laws will not make it any more illegal.

ogar
join:2001-12-05
Ephrata, PA

ogar to Jafo232

to Jafo232
Does HBO not realize that movies come to DVD first.
The DVD can be converted to an MP4 and posted to the internet.

yzerman1
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Grand Rapids, MI

yzerman1

Premium Member

You can't do that legally.

AreSee
join:2000-09-20
Atlanta, GA

AreSee to ogar

to ogar
said by ogar:

Does HBO not realize that movies come to DVD first.
The DVD can be converted to an MP4 and posted to the internet.
Though the brief article linked in the headline didn't specifiy it, I have a feeling this may be intended to keep their original programing from being recorded. I'm sure they make a ton of cash on DVD releases of The Sopranos, SFU, The Wire [BEST CRIME DRAMA EVER], etc.)

chudel
join:2002-01-20
Pineville, NC

chudel to Jafo232

to Jafo232
What will DirecTV do? That's the premise of their video on demand service - download it to the PVR when you're sleeping and then when you wake up, ta da!

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to Jafo232

Premium Member

to Jafo232
Gready! Stop charge $100+ for a copy of a show people pay a subscription for anyway! CDs and DVDs are so over priced, if they lowered to price to something a bit more realistic the RIAA and HBO probably wouldn't be compaining so much. I'd rather have the artist designed CD than a "is it live or is it memorex" in my CD case.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Jafo232

Premium Member

to Jafo232
yea the Startrek DVD sets are horridly expensive for a season(not HBO but still) there is no way any one season of a show is worth 75-100 bucks, the show should be paid for at the time it airs weather its ads(stuff like Startrek) or subscriptions(HBO, etc). they only cost this much because buying at these prices is the only legal way.

richardpor
Fur it up
join:2003-04-19
Portland, OR

richardpor to AreSee

to AreSee
HBO had made available to subscribers like me video on demand streamed the entire season of Rome on the fist day
I can see where pirating can become a serious problem.
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR to Jafo232

to Jafo232
I recently cancelled HBO, they are way beyond their best by date. DVRs a re great I've used one for several years. Any channel which tries to prohibit them will fall badly IMHO.
I wud rather spend my HBO money on DVDs.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102 to AreSee

to AreSee
I'm glad I still have a VCR.;)

cao1964
join:2000-08-09
Danville, PA

cao1964 to yzerman1

to yzerman1
DA, keep up with the conversation.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

1 edit

tc1uscg to FFH5

to FFH5
No big deal.. outputting the sig from your digital cable box to a DVD burner or other DVR defeats this anyway, legit or not.
tc1uscg

1 edit

tc1uscg to Jafo232

to Jafo232
said by yeabut :

And that is new how? Pirating is already illegal, passing further laws will not make it any more illegal
Good one..

I got HBO with my CC hookup/deal. To be honest.. HBO doesn't have crap on anyway. Go Encore..
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23 to en102

to en102
They still make VCR's???? Why don't you roll back to Betamax. I have been using a DVR for 5 years and will never go back. With Charter it is like Comcast and you can not record VOD. I am free to record HBO Channels which I do and then delete.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to Jafo232

to Jafo232
HBO on Demand is offered for FREE on just about every Cable System that carries it... so with your subscription, you'd get to watch the movies on there whenever you want to... so recording from that channel really is not necessary.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to yeabut

Premium Member

to yeabut
said by yeabut :

Yes, and how is prohibiting recording of their stuff onto DVR is going to stop that? I can guarantee that this upcoming season's episodes of "The Sopranos" will show up on eDonkey/BT/Newsgroups a few minutes after they finish airing on HBO.

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

4 edits

Lagz to Big Dawg 23

Premium Member

to Big Dawg 23
said by Big Dawg 23:

They still make VCR's???? Why don't you roll back to Betamax. I have been using a DVR for 5 years and will never go back. With Charter it is like Comcast and you can not record VOD. I am free to record HBO Channels which I do and then delete.
The point he was making was even if DVR's get blocked from recording, then a VCR can still record the show. That recording can be converted just as easy and just as good of quality as a DVR recording. I can just hook up my computer directly to the satellite or cable coax and record it and converted to mpeg1-4 on the fly.

richk_1957
If ..Then..Else
Premium Member
join:2001-04-11
Minas Tirith

richk_1957 to Jafo232

Premium Member

to Jafo232
Yeah, but [like some others] they assume that if you record it, you are going to distribute it!
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to tc1uscg

Premium Member

to tc1uscg
If it doesn't have crap on, then it would seem that it would be a good choice for you. Why then do you want Encore (which mostly has old movies)?

Toadman
Hypnotoad
join:2001-11-28
Mystery

Toadman to IanR

to IanR
I just canceled HBO as well, and had HBO on demand. Guess what, the on-demand is cool concept, but the movies they had on-demand are already seen crap!
No_Code
join:2003-12-12

No_Code to ogar

to ogar
I think HBO is more concerned about their original series such as Curb Your Enthusiam, The Sopranos, et. al. than with people ripping off movies from them.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to Lagz

to Lagz
Still don't need a VCR. Buy a $75 Hauppauge WinTV board (or equivalent) and either hook up RF or composite video to your PC. Record the RF/composite directly to MPEG2.

The only issue: Do the VOD/DVR devices employ classic MacroVision copy protection? If so, then you'd need a small "black box" in the middle of the video to trim the MacroVision encoding. I believe they use "off screen" video scan lines to overwhelm the automatic gain governing circuits on recorders. Although your TV's presentation of the signal is unaffected, a recording ends up with wide swings in brightness which makes it too irritating to watch.

AreSee
join:2000-09-20
Atlanta, GA

AreSee

said by rradina:

Still don't need a VCR. Buy a $75 Hauppauge WinTV board (or equivalent) and either hook up RF or composite video to your PC. Record the RF/composite directly to MPEG2.

The only issue: Do the VOD/DVR devices employ classic MacroVision copy protection? If so, then you'd need a small "black box" in the middle of the video to trim the MacroVision encoding. I believe they use "off screen" video scan lines to overwhelm the automatic gain governing circuits on recorders. Although your TV's presentation of the signal is unaffected, a recording ends up with wide swings in brightness which makes it too irritating to watch.
You talking about this? I use this in between my STB and my Hauppauge PVR250 tuner using MCE. It works for the MacroVision, but I think that VOB uses a different mechanism to set copy protection and expiration dates.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to Jmartz0

Premium Member

to Jmartz0
said by Jmartz0:

HBO on Demand is offered for FREE on just about every Cable System that carries it... so with your subscription, you'd get to watch the movies on there whenever you want to... so recording from that channel really is not necessary.
I don't know where you get your information from, but On Demand channels are NOT free, at least not on all cable systems. For example, Cablevision (cable company that serves my area), charges $5 extra for every premium On Demand channel (i.e. HBO On Demand, ShowTime on Demand etc.) I personally find a DVR to be a better value as I can record things from ALL channels that I subscribe to and then watch them later on.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to AreSee

to AreSee
said by AreSee:

You talking about this? I use this in between my STB and my Hauppauge PVR250 tuner using MCE. It works for the MacroVision, but I think that VOB uses a different mechanism to set copy protection and expiration dates.
That looks like it would do the trick! I love the marketing speak; "...stabilizes the video signal ... ensuring optimal video quality for your DVD copies..." Never a mention that it removes encoding designed to protect the video.

I'm surprised the MPAA citing DMCA isn't all over this. I knew you could buy plans and build your own but I didn't know it was legal to sell fully assembled units.

Regarding the VOB, I'm speaking only about RF or composite video. Once it's an analog video signal, I don't think it matters whether it started out VOB, MPEG2, MPEG4 or Windows Media. The only thing possible is to fiddle with the output gain to foil the recording.

aaronfitz
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
Cedar Rapids, IA

aaronfitz to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina
said by rradina:

I believe they use "off screen" video scan lines to overwhelm the automatic gain governing circuits on recorders. Although your TV's presentation of the signal is unaffected, a recording ends up with wide swings in brightness which makes it too irritating to watch.
Whoa, that's what Macrovision does? I've had a couple DVD players that did this while hooked up through a VCR to a TV that only had a coax input. The guy at Radioshack made up something about reduced power output of the new DVD players. I now hate Macrovision.