share rss forum feed

Alpine
Premium
join:2000-01-11
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Good stuff...

I still love the tactic of posting bunk torrents to the P2P sites. That's hilarious.

And I find it hard to believe that more than about 5% of people that do regular P2P'ing would buy the content if it were offered in a less restrictive format. They're already stealing the stuff for free; why would they start paying for it? I think that's a line used by pirates to 1) justify their resistance to copy-protection and 2) make themselves feel somehow above common thieves. This way, they're principled thieves.

Adam

kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime

join:2001-08-27
Bakersfield, CA

said by Alpine:

I still love the tactic of posting bunk torrents to the P2P sites. That's hilarious.

And I find it hard to believe that more than about 5% of people that do regular P2P'ing would buy the content if it were offered in a less restrictive format. They're already stealing the stuff for free; why would they start paying for it? I think that's a line used by pirates to 1) justify their resistance to copy-protection and 2) make themselves feel somehow above common thieves. This way, they're principled thieves.

Adam
At present, on most p2p networks if not all, you will never download at your full internet connection speed. I can't speak for everyone but at least in my case,, if there were a service that allowed one to download content for a fee as is the case now, but without restrictions, and at one's full internet connection speed, I'd like to think a service like that could be as popular as newsgroups. Especially if the content was always what it was suppose to be. The reason newsgroups are so popular, is the simple fact that folks can get unrestrictive content at their maximum internet speed.
This is what I believe anyway, unless a service like this is ever tried, we'll never know what the consumers will do. For me anyway, I download from the current DRM infested services only when I have to, as I want to be able to play the file on any computer or device I please!

Alpine
Premium
join:2000-01-11
Atlanta, GA

Ok, that's fair enough. I agree - I rarely get my full bandwidth on BitTorrents. But I think that most people get "enough" throughput, and many people do 2, 3, 5, 10 BTs at a time to max themselves out. It's these "chronic" leechers that concern the powers-that-be and its these users that the copy protection is aimed at. These people, I imagine, won't pay regardless of the format or DRM limitations.

I have no problem with DRM as long as there's a way to associate yourself (or your "account") with certain devices. So you could play the media on your computer, CD player, iPOD, etc, but couldn't transfer it to a device registered to another account. Apple does it this way with iTunes and it generally works. That's fine by me.

I don't agree with HBO (or anyone) wanting to completely eliminate the ability to DVR their programming, but I don't begrudge them trying to keep their property safe by reasonable DRM.

Adam