uniqs
share rss forum feed

AreSee

join:2000-09-20
Atlanta, GA
reply to rradina

Re: Good Luck

said by rradina:

Still don't need a VCR. Buy a $75 Hauppauge WinTV board (or equivalent) and either hook up RF or composite video to your PC. Record the RF/composite directly to MPEG2.

The only issue: Do the VOD/DVR devices employ classic MacroVision copy protection? If so, then you'd need a small "black box" in the middle of the video to trim the MacroVision encoding. I believe they use "off screen" video scan lines to overwhelm the automatic gain governing circuits on recorders. Although your TV's presentation of the signal is unaffected, a recording ends up with wide swings in brightness which makes it too irritating to watch.
You talking about this? I use this in between my STB and my Hauppauge PVR250 tuner using MCE. It works for the MacroVision, but I think that VOB uses a different mechanism to set copy protection and expiration dates.
--
Formerly DSLWho

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

said by AreSee:

You talking about this? I use this in between my STB and my Hauppauge PVR250 tuner using MCE. It works for the MacroVision, but I think that VOB uses a different mechanism to set copy protection and expiration dates.
That looks like it would do the trick! I love the marketing speak; "...stabilizes the video signal ... ensuring optimal video quality for your DVD copies..." Never a mention that it removes encoding designed to protect the video.

I'm surprised the MPAA citing DMCA isn't all over this. I knew you could buy plans and build your own but I didn't know it was legal to sell fully assembled units.

Regarding the VOB, I'm speaking only about RF or composite video. Once it's an analog video signal, I don't think it matters whether it started out VOB, MPEG2, MPEG4 or Windows Media. The only thing possible is to fiddle with the output gain to foil the recording.