dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
System

Anon

Switching ISP to USWEST.NET

I am in the process of switching ISP's to QWEST/USWEST.NET.

My old ISP used bridged ethernet so I had to un-install and then re-install my Intel 2100 since qwest.net will be using PPP. I installed using the correct PPP driver on my Intel 2100 CD (which is from April of 2000).

I keep geting Dial Up Networking Error 650 messages when attempting to connect.

I looked under Control Panel/Network and it shows NDISWAN/Intel 2100 instead of TCP-IP/Intel 2100. It is my understanding NDISWAN is for ISDN equipment.

What do I need to do to get my ISP side of the connection to work?

Also with my old ISP it said I was trained to the CO at 640/272 but in tests I was only getting around 300/200. With QWEST using PPP can I expect to get closer to full speeds? Will my pings get any better for online gaming?

Thanks in advance.

[text was edited by author 2000-10-27 19:25:16]

[text was edited by author 2000-10-27 19:29:37]
Travispdx
join:2000-10-06
Portland, OR

Travispdx

As for the NDISWAN/Intel part I do have USwest.net and uswest dsl and I have these drivers as well. I have updated the connection manager and adapter to version 1.1, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the NDISWAN driver. If anyone knows please let me know. I am dealing with much bigger line problems at the moment so this is not a huge concern for me, but I would like to know if mcdave and I have this set up correctly.
My network settings are set up to use "DHCP for Wins Resolution" and I connect (sometimes) so I dont think that is it Mcdave....
System

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
I just got off the line with Tim from Tech Support (very helpful guy) and we went through un-install and reinstall and I was still getting Error 650 messages.

He said that I am one of 2800 customers that will not be able to get DSL services up until Tuesday. Apparently some tool they use is down.

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
Anybody else having this problem?

Still not fixed on my end.

Anon

Very Disgusting!!!!!

USWEST or QWEST sucks. No doubt about it.

I placed an order to change my ISP to qwest.net on October 13th. I am given a due date of October 26th. I attempt to connect on the 26th and get the aforementioned "ERROR 650, Computer you are dialing in to does not respond to network request".

I call Tech Support and nobody knows what the hell is going on. I have called Tech Support at least 10 times in the last week. They keep saying we should have an answer in 24 hours call back tomorrow.

The latest is that the business office never placed my order correctly and that they need to do so before I will show up in the DSLAM. Can anybody give me a good reason why this has taken over one week to resolve? How hard can it be to place an order?

Well at least I feel a little better being able to vent.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to Anon

Anon

to Anon

Re: Switching ISP to USWEST.NET

I had the same problem,i waited for 5 days past my due date in order to switch from my old isp(bridge mode)to uswest.net(ppp).i called uswest maybe 20 times trying to get it figured out,and finally found out it was megabit that didnt switch it to ppp mode from bridge mode.i was getting the same error650 message.all uswest.net told me was that i was hooked up on their end and they didnt know what the problem was.i bet u have the same problem.

Anon

Thanks for the tip. I will call the rat bastards right away when I get home from work.

Hard to believe it is that damn hard to figure something out with these guys.

Anon

Still not working as of Monday morning. I just keep getting the run-around.

At this point I would not recommend uswest.net as an ISP to my worst enemy.

Anon

Well I am up and running finally. My speed with uswest.net has increased (I always suspected the bottleneck was at my old ISP) and my pings seem a little better than my old ISP.

The whole switchover of ISP's was a total pain though. Tech support was not very helpful (contacted them about 15-20 times and no informative answers). I just happened to check and my connection finally worked, they did not even call back to say they got it fixed.

I am happy now and the delirium tremors from not having DSL are finally subsiding.

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
Initial install and setup can be a bear, with less than
perfect help from the Qwest techies, but NDISWAN is
definitely used in the PPP protocol, and as for tweaking,
be sure to see the page on this site that can help:
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
Get hold of DRtcp.exe program for ez changes to your
default receive window and TTL settings.......
now that I'm tweaked, I get about 522 up and 210 down...
very livable.....
.....John