Adjusting
Premium Member
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ

Rob A

Premium Member

[request] Non-Javascript Attachments on initial post screen

Click for full size
I still use the old method of posting attachments here because I found it more convenient. But the non-javascript link used to be on the initial post screen, now you must hit preview/attach first. I would like to request that the non-javascript link is put on the initial post screen. When clicking it, all text is removed anyway, so having to hit preview before it is kind of pointless.

nfx
The Wire
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

nfx

Premium Member

Re: Non-Javascript Attachments on initial post screen

Click for full size
sign

We also used to have an option for attachments where we could choose if we needed to upload more than 4 things, we could click a link and it would reload the page with extra input boxes for upload attachments. Could we bring that back?
digital k
Premium Member
join:2003-12-25

digital k to Rob A

Premium Member

to Rob A

Re: Non-Javascript Attachments on initial post scr

*object* another trivial request.

nfx
The Wire
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

nfx

Premium Member

how is it trivial?

ghostpainter
I Write for the Apocalypse
MVM
join:2002-05-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

ghostpainter to Rob A

MVM

to Rob A
Hummm...On my web site I have the option of downloading one picture or in multiples of 6. I seldom need to do more and more often than not it is usually two or less.

I would sign for that sort of option. Just add two more. For those who need more than 6 thats makes for one long thread unless you are talking about the digital picture forums.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to Rob A

Premium Member

to Rob A

said by Rob A:

When clicking it, all text is removed anyway,
I hate when that happions
 See Attachment

MorWired
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03

MorWired to ghostpainter

Premium Member

to ghostpainter

Re: Non-Javascript Attachments on initial post scr

said by ghostpainter:
Hummm...On my web site I have the option of downloading one picture or in multiples of 6. I seldom need to do more and more often than not it is usually two or less.

I would sign for that sort of option. Just add two more. For those who need more than 6 thats makes for one long thread unless you are talking about the digital picture forums.
Actually, as images are uploaded there continues to be an availability of four more uploads. I don't know if that number maxes out at some point, but the number of attachments is not static.

MorWired

MorWired to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_

You know, using code blocks for just quoting is sort of a nuisance since it blows out the margins for a lot of people.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_

Premium Member

how many users run there screen at 800 X 600?

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

1 edit

sashwa

Mod

I do and I know others that do also.

big greg
MVM,
join:2003-10-11
Boston, MA

big greg to Rob A

MVM,

to Rob A
It seems clear that how it works now is reasonable for the usual case, which is people who want to enter text then spell check/preview (I wish more people here would spell check/preview their posts). I should also point out that the vast majority of posts here do not have attachments.

Leaving it like it is means that there is just one more click for those people who have broken browsers, or have Javascript disabled, or don't like the new attachment preview.

*object*

MorWired
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03

1 recommendation

MorWired to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:
That's not the only way to blow the margins, but while on the subject of 800x600, many laptops have no other way to be.

As for my own use, I have several windows open at the same time, overlapping, so while my resolution is higher, my browser window is narrower. Point remains, when necessary, it's an acceptable situation; when used just to be "different," it's an annoyance.

ghostpainter
I Write for the Apocalypse
MVM
join:2002-05-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

ghostpainter

MVM

I run all of my PC's at 800x600...My It looks sharper and so what if I have over lap, Im use to it now...

As for seeing more tabs open up after you reach the 4 limit on the page I have never downloaded that many pics here at one time, so I dont know, but that is a good thing if it happens.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

I do

I love 800x600!

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

said by 19579823:
said by Anonymous_:

I do

I love 800x600!
Me too . Also *sign* for

"I would like to request that the non-javascript link is put on the initial post screen.

and would like this changed also:
"When clicking it, all text is removed anyway, so having to hit preview before it is kind of pointless."

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

1 recommendation

tmpchaos to Rob A

Numquam oblitus

to Rob A
Might be a moot point: »Old style upload gone?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

1 edit

Anonymous_ to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion
well my screen Resolution is 1680 X 1050 / 1050X 1680 16:10 / 10:16

sign to no java thing

Rob A
Adjusting
Premium Member
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ

Rob A to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

Might be a moot point: »Old style upload gone?
Oh great. I request that the link is moved to the initial post screen and instead it is removed entirely with javascript enabled.

Amr3
Pointing out the obvious
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
San Antonio, TX

Amr3 to Rob A

Premium Member

to Rob A
*object*

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to Rob A

Mod

to Rob A
This isn't going to happen.
There has been plenty of time for tuning and stability of the current file upload system, and the old one is there only IF javascript is disabled, I simply don't want to support both in parallel for few who don't like to see changes.

In fact I should change the javascript disabled attachment system to only allow a single attachment. Javascript disabled browsers are very difficult to use nowadays, it is more there to support phones or other tiny browsers which are unlikely to want to upload more than one thing anyway.

dandelion
MVM
Germantown, TN

dandelion to Rob A

MVM

to Rob A
Maybe it's somewhat change, but also is convenience. Six clicks to upload anything (not counting re-preview)unless forget to press the upload button, versus 3 clicks. Most of the avatars I make are viewed by me multiple times online with different backgrounds to make sure they look good in all before I upload. Along with "welcome", "happy birthday" etc. for team, the extra viewing of uploads nor even multiple uploads aren't needed. Would be VERY happy with just a one upload button easy to use if possible .

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

1 recommendation

justin

Mod

I can see how having a single upload field with a post is useful, but the old full multiple upload/edit/caption creation system is superceded.

dandelion
MVM
Germantown, TN

dandelion to Rob A

MVM

to Rob A
I see, the java used previously can't be changed to the front due to the "regular" upload (which that and slides are VERY nice for preview and multiple pictures), if possible for it to be enabled to use for a simple one picture upload where it was, would be nice and people can use either depending on circumstance. Thanks for your explanation and time Justin .