join:2001-12-02
Denver, CO
Netgear CM1000
Asus RT-AC88

2 edits

TheOtherRay

MVM,

Submitting to the Phish Tracker

In order to submit a phishing email to the Phish Tracker you must forward the message as an attachment (also known as an RFC 822 attachment).

Here are the instructions for a couple of the more popular email programs. If you have instructions for another not listed here, please PM me with them and I will add them.

Outlook 2003: Tools --> Options --> Preferences Tab --> Email Options button --> The bottom half has a section called "On replies and forwards" - Change the second pulldown message ("When forwarding a message") to read "Attach original message".

Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.7: Tools --> Options --> Composition --> The top section is for forwarding messages. Ensure that the "Forward messages:" option is set to "As Attachment".
TheOtherRay

1 edit

TheOtherRay

MVM,

Netscape 7.2:

Edit --> Preferences --> Mail and Newsgroups --> Composition --> Change the Forwarding Messages to "As Attachment" and click OK.
TheOtherRay

3 edits

TheOtherRay

MVM,

Eudora

You will need a free plugin from
»brana.ns.users.sbb.co.yu ··· gins.htm

Scroll down and look for the Forward As Attachment Plugin.

Edit: It appears as if this plugin isn't effective in submitting to the Phish Tracker. At this point there doesn't seem to be a good way of getting an email from Eudora to the Phish Tracker. If anyone knows of a way, please PM me the information -- Mordy
Update: Link fixed.
TheOtherRay

TheOtherRay

MVM,

OS X

Select the message in Mail and go to View --> Message --> Raw Source. Copy the raw source into a word processing application such as TextEdit and save it as Plain Text. Then forward the e-mail with the newly created attachment.

Thanks to xmrocks See Profile for the tip
TheOtherRay

2 recommendations

TheOtherRay

MVM,

mutt 1.4i

The mutt variable $mime_forward must be set to a non-"no" value to get the option to forward a message as an attachment.

While mutt is in the index screen, typing ":set mime_forward=ask-no" will force mutt to ask you if you want to forward the message as an attachment, defaulting to no.

What you should see is something like this.
Type 'f' to forward the currently selected message.
"To:" appears. Enter the address to foward to from the phisher tracker forum. For example:
To: phish+*****_****@dslreports.com

Hit the Return key to enter a subject:
Subject: [service@paypal.com: [Spam]Your account was hijacked]

Hi Return again to keep the same subject and then you'll get a new option:
Forward as attachment? ([no]/yes):
Type "y".

When you're ready to send your message, you should see that the forwarded message is now an attachment.
- I 2 [Spam]Your account was hijacked [message/rfc822, 7bit, 12K]

Go ahead and send the mail.
This procedure appeared to work for phish #2608.

Thanks to justbits See Profile for this procedure
TheOtherRay

1 recommendation

TheOtherRay

MVM,

Outlook Express 6

If the Phish Tracker rejects your email if you try to forward the message, you can try this procedure:
  • Open the email message
  • Right-click the email and select Properties --> Message Source
  • Copy/Paste the entire message source to a new message and send to the Phish Tracker

Thanks to Keith See Profile for the tip
TheOtherRay

1 recommendation

TheOtherRay

MVM,

Gmail

While viewing the phish mail click on "more options" then "show original". Copy the entire page as is, then paste it into notepad. Save the file, you can use any name. Then compose a new mail to your unique phishtracker address, click on "Attach a File" and select the notepad file, click send. I have tested it, and it does work fine.

Thanks to MGD See Profile for the tip