dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Chip7187
join:2004-02-22

Chip7187

Replacing a Westell 327w modem/router...recommendations?

Hi. I recently subscribed to Verizon DSL and got their Westell 327w modem/router. I am far from impressed with the Westell and was wondering if anyone could recommend a replacement. I would prefer a modem/router in one, but would consider switching to 2 separate devices. Thanks for any info.
gascan2
join:2005-08-03
Easton, MD

gascan2

I do not have an exact model in mind, but NETGEAR & D Link makes some good router and modem combos that are much better to the versalink.
MQY
join:2003-08-19
Flushing, NY

MQY to Chip7187

to Chip7187
Yeah, I am thinking of replacing my westell modem, too.
Veriozn was gonna charge me 39.95 for westell modem. I figure I better off spending 40 bucks on a greater brand modem such as linksys ,etc.
any suggestions on this topic, thank you in advance

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to Chip7187

to Chip7187
You can get a good router then just use the 327W as a dumb modem. It's not a one in two solution but it will save you some.
gascan2
join:2005-08-03
Easton, MD

gascan2

The only problem i have had with linksys were some heat issues during the summer (no fan, and the thing just fried itself one summer afternoon when the temp was about 85 degrees Fahrenheit). While it was working, it was great, but because of this heat issue (maybe just that model; haven tried any others), I now stay clear of Linksys models.
stonecolddsl
Linux Junkie
join:2004-01-07
Sarasota, FL

stonecolddsl to Chip7187

to Chip7187
put the 327w into dumb mode and use an old pc with a couple of nics (2) with pfsense (pfsense.com) I have a howto in the westell section how to keep wireless working and how to get the the modem to act like a switch fo the 4 hardwire ports. Leting pfsense do all the routing and taking care of all the annoying issue and lockups with the 327w.
Chip7187
join:2004-02-22

Chip7187

Thanks for your replies. I have been looking around for a DSL modem/ router in one, but I am not sure if any one would work with Verizon, or if it would need to be a specific model.

So if I take you advice and use the 327W in dumb mode, would it be ok if I buy the Netgear that Staples has on sale?»www.staples.com/webapp/w ··· a=SEARCH

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by Chip7187:

So if I take you advice and use the 327W in dumb mode, would it be ok if I buy the Netgear that Staples has on sale?»www.staples.com/webapp/w ··· a=SEARCH
Any router will do, just research around, we have router forums here @dslr »/forum ··· ll?cat=6, that you can browse around then decide what's appropriate for you.
egou
join:2003-03-17
Sterling, VA

egou to Chip7187

to Chip7187
said by Chip7187:

Stay away from that one - I bought it the summer of '05 - a couple of months later it started to drop connections once every couple of days.
There's a known problem with overheating - do a research and see for yourself. I've also tried ZyXel P-334WT - no good, LAN ports freeze under heavy traffic.
Today I bought a Linksys WRT54GS version 4 - I heard that that's the last Linux based version - at Staples for $90 - so far so good.