FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

2 edits

FFH5

Premium Member

2 new bills at odds with Gov't plans to auction off spectrum

Both of these bills would seem to be at odds with US plans to auction off freed up spectrum to companies for billions of dollars. The news item mention these having broad support in Congress, but given the budget deficit situation, unless there is a change in whose in charge in Congress after the 2006 elections, I suspect neither of these bills has much chance of passage. »arstechnica.com/news.ars ··· 232.html
quote:
Open television spectrum has long been considered a prize by wireless device makers, but many people thought that the government would hold out until 2009, clear the analog TV stations out of the way, and then auction off the spectrum to the highest bidders.
k_mumm
join:2001-06-14
Laramie, WY

k_mumm

What a joke. Why exactly should we auction this off? The money that the government makes is tiny compared to the uses that smaller companies could gain from keeping it open. If we auction it off the same monopolies that control the airwaves now will control them forever. I live in fear of a world where Clear Channel, Verizon, Sprint, At&t anf a few other megacorps control all wireless spectrum.

Disclaimer: Yes I work for a small WISP

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Both of these bills would seem to be at odds with US plans to auction off freed up spectrum to companies for billions of dollars. The news item mention these having broad support in Congress, but given the budget deficit situation, unless there is a change in whose in charge in Congress after the 2006 elections, I suspect neither of these bills has much chance of passage. »arstechnica.com/news.ars ··· 232.html
I think that the government will auction of specific frequencies to be licensed, thus limiting their use to only the owners. Opening up unlicensed spectrum on the other hand, will allow users to do as they please (think about wifi, bluetooth, cordless phones, etc. who all use the same frequency for different things).