All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
noisyscott
join:2006-02-25
Austin, TX

noisyscott

Cyberonic DSL dark in Austin

It has been three days since my line went dark. The support line seems to have been changed to a voicemail box only and my email to support@cyberonic.com has been unreturned.

Anyone know what is going on out there? Do I need to jump ship?

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

If you read the other threads in this forum you will find that the relatively small support staff at Cyberonic is overwhelmed with the mass-migration of all MCI/UUnet DSL users to Covad. In order to get your modem configured to work with the Covad DSL line you do need to keep trying to contact Cyberonic support by phone.

Whether or not it makes sense for you to 'jump ship' depends on several factors and can't be generalized. I did switch to a different provider, but I'm now paying more for less upstream bandwidth (but no PPPoX and more static IPs). For some friends of mine who I referred to Cyberonic originally it made more sense to stay with Cyberonic/Covad for different reasons in each case.

Just for curiosity, did you get any information ahead of time that you will be 'upgraded' ? Did you receive a new DSL modem ?
noisyscott
join:2006-02-25
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

noisyscott

Well, everything is sorted out now. I was finally able to talk to a human on Saturday who explained that my line was swapped by SBC at the CO ahead of schedule which was why I went dark. Cyberonic walked me through reconfiguring my modem to use the new Covad line and we were able to get me up and running. At the time of my call, Covad had not finished the routing on their end as I was scheduled to be switched the following Monday so Cyberonic contacted Covad and got the routing issue fixed within an hour of getting my modem reconnected. Simultaneously, another tech had replied to my work email (which was unavailable to me on Saturday) outlining how to reconfigure my modem to switch to the Covad network.

I was never notified of the specific day of my switch. The only hint I had of what was going on was the VIP upgrade notice I got in the mail a month ago until I lost connectivity.

FYI - my new line checks out the same as my previous UUnet line as 1.5/768 and it turns out that I am on a .248 subnet so I now have 5 IP addresses to use. Nice bonus.

All in all I am happy again. I know that Cyberonic are small and what they are dealing with right now must be stretching them a little thin. Hopefully things will settle down once everyone is swapped. it just sucked that I was dark for three days. Hmm, maybe I'll go for the 6mb dl now.