spc
uniqs

rdstoll
join:2000-10-25
Des Plaines, IL

rdstoll to attheirmercy

to attheirmercy

Re: [Connectivity] My account was suspended for exceeding the in

I've said before that I think the industry has to move to a per MB business model. It just does not make any sense that casual users of Comcast HSI pay the same amount as heavy user. I'm a heavy user, so I would certainly be negatively affected, but when I see Comcast and others talking about implementing a "surcharge" to certain companies (i.e. Google) so that their traffic is "prioritized" then I start to get nervous because you open up a whole can of worms regarding funny business between Comcast and some website (Comcast has no fear of blacking out cable channels if they cannot get a good deal from the content provider).

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.
join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE

1 edit

LeftOfSanity

This is why people are misinformed. It only takes one person to talk like he knows something.

Not in any of the articles I read anywhere on the whole Net Nuetrality issue was comcast mentioned. It was the Phone Co's not Comcast. Please if you post make sure you have correct info.

MrChupacabra
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Florida

MrChupacabra to rdstoll

Premium Member

to rdstoll
said by rdstoll:

I've said before that I think the industry has to move to a per MB business model. It just does not make any sense that casual users of Comcast HSI pay the same amount as heavy user. I'm a heavy user, so I would certainly be negatively affected, but when I see Comcast and others talking about implementing a "surcharge" to certain companies (i.e. Google) so that their traffic is "prioritized" then I start to get nervous because you open up a whole can of worms regarding funny business between Comcast and some website (Comcast has no fear of blacking out cable channels if they cannot get a good deal from the content provider).
With bandwidth not being free, of course they watch how much you're sucking through the pipe once it gets to a certain size. Its a normal business stance. And when did you hear about Comcast wanting to charge companies like Google for prioritized access? That was a telco brain child last I read.

rdstoll
join:2000-10-25
Des Plaines, IL

4 edits

rdstoll to LeftOfSanity

to LeftOfSanity
said by LeftOfSanity:

This is why people are misinformed. It only takes one person to talk like he knows something.

Not in any of the articles I read anywhere on the whole Net Nuetrality issue was comcast mentioned. It was the Phone Co's not Comcast. Please if you post make sure you have correct info.
Okay, the Bells. Doesn't change anything I said about how some ISPs want to surcharge the likes of Google to prioritize their traffic.. You're dreaming if you don't think Comcast isn't going to try something like this.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS to LeftOfSanity

MVM

to LeftOfSanity
That's because Brian Roberts is smart enough to hold back and let Ed Whitacre, Ivan Seidenberg, and Duane Ackerman run interference for him.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to rdstoll

to rdstoll
said by rdstoll:

I've said before that I think the industry has to move to a per MB business model. It just does not make any sense that casual users of Comcast HSI pay the same amount as heavy user.
You really think that will cure it?

Here is what will happen. Prices will remain the same for the standard hookup. As soon as you go over your limit, they get to charge you a per MB charge. This would only apply to those who go over the limit (which they would have to state.) Monthly prices stay the same and bandwidth hogs get to pay more. Only use it for email and light surfing? You will still pay the same per month (no discounts for you. Like cell phone plans. You get your free minutes and if you don't use them, you lose them (except Sprint and Cingular on SOME of their more expensive plans.)