how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ylen131

join:2000-02-09
Canoga Park, CA

[Help] accord airbag warning lights keeps coming on/off

I own 03 honda accord lx. Recently my airbag lights will not go away when i start my car. If i turn the car off and then on the light goes away but will come back after couple of days. I haven't gotten my car on computer yet to see what code is getting triggered but do you think i am having airbag problem, computer or just a glitch that once codes get cleared, problem will go away?

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
kudos:1
one quick question. Do you sit up straight in the seat, or do you lean to one side? also is there anything sitting on the passenger seat or is it empty? reason is there are sensors in the seat to determine if anything is on the seat and if it is positioned properly. If you lean to the side of the seat(especially the door side) it will turn on the airbag light and disable the airbags. That model should have side airbags in the door side of the seat back. You need to have the codes checked to determine what is causing the light to come on and if it's component related or what.
--
You don't quit playing 'cause your OLD. You get old BECAUSE you quit playing!!

ylen131

Canoga Park, CA
i sit straight and my car don't have sensor to turn off passenger airbag, also i do not have side airbags. They didn't become standard until 04 and i didn't buy them as an option. What else could cause the light to come on and then go away after i turn off the car and turn it back on. It just started doing it recently. P.s i have 74k if that makes any difference

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
Sorry, I presumed they were standard for a while. I had worked on them in 2001 a couple of times as far as scanning for and clearing codes. I really don't have an answer other than you'll have to find some one who can scan for codes, preferably while the light is on.
--
You don't quit playing 'cause your OLD. You get old BECAUSE you quit playing!!

ylen131

Canoga Park, CA
thx for reply, will stop by my mechanic tomorrow and will see what he can find. Hopefully the light will be on but it seems to be random occurrence

jsouth
Jsouth

join:2000-12-12
Wichita, KS
reply to ylen131
You can also watch the light does it stay on all the time or does it blink on and off. If it blinks watch to see if their is a pattern. If there is tell your mechanic this. It will help.
--
BTK is guilty!!!!

ylen131

Canoga Park, CA
said by jsouth:

You can also watch the light does it stay on all the time or does it blink on and off. If it blinks watch to see if their is a pattern. If there is tell your mechanic this. It will help.
the light stays on till the car is turned off and turned back on.
Expand your moderator at work

SVTRanger

join:2001-07-17
reply to ylen131

Re: [Help] accord airbag warning lights keeps coming on/off

Go to Autozone, use their ODB car code reader which is for free, and get a code-feed off your car.
--
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT dyno'd @ 481rwhp w/ pully swap, prochamber, chip, tune, intake.

ylen131

Canoga Park, CA
said by SVTRanger:

Go to Autozone, use their ODB car code reader which is for free, and get a code-feed off your car.
thx will give it a try next time airbag warning pops up.

SVTRanger

join:2001-07-17
said by ylen131:

said by SVTRanger:

Do it before it pops up. It's free and all you need is your ID.
--
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT dyno'd @ 481rwhp w/ pully swap, prochamber, chip, tune, intake.

ylen131

Canoga Park, CA
said by SVTRanger:

said by ylen131:

said by SVTRanger:

Do it before it pops up. It's free and all you need is your ID.
i thought code would been erased by comp if light not flashing, guess that shows how much i know about cars, will stop by auto zone tomorrow

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to ylen131
You are positive nothing in on the passenger seat. 02 and up have as passenger sensor. Which turn off if it sense a passenger sitting in akward position. But if not do what was suggested pull the code? Is it still under warranty? Cause SRS can be anything from the bag, the srs unit, the cable reel, etc,etc,etc.

ylen131

Canoga Park, CA
i got almost 74k on it so no not under warranty. Yes i am positive it don't have the sensor turning air bag off. I would have noticed air bag light on for the last 3 years as i drive alone a lot of times.

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here

1 edit
reply to ylen131
If any computer fault has occurred and the system hasn't been reset, the light doesn't actually need to be lit when read, the fault and any others will show - this is how many states(Ohio and probably CA.) do Smog testing now on newer vehicles.

Airbag faults are nothing to be trifled with, it may be nothing, it may be serious - not fire when needed or fire when unexpected.
--
I may disagree with everything you say, but will defend unto death your right to say it. - Voltaire

ylen131

Canoga Park, CA
reply to ylen131
called autozone and they said they don't have the odb for my car. Only place they said that has it is dealer

Irun Man
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
said by ylen131:

called autozone and they said they don't have the odb for my car. Only place they said that has it is dealer
ODBII is an industry wide standard; if they don't have a basic code reader (usually an Actron) I say take your business elsewhere.

Perhaps they are meaning to say their scan tool won't translate the Honda airbag fault codes; in that case a dealer service call is possibly your only option.

I remember years ago Honda offered a lifetime warranty on seat belts; no matter what year or model if they stop working they would be repaired for free. Have you tried calling their USA customer assistance phone number to see if they offer a program for air bag faults?
--
Life is a journey; death is a given.

m1k3

join:2002-01-31
Aurora, IL
reply to ylen131
You can take it to a Honda dealer you know. They have a lifetime warranty on their restraint systems. IE: If a seat belt buckle switch is bad, it will throw an SRS light, and they will replace the buckle free of charge with no diagnostic fee.

As far as the problem is concerned, if your car battery has gone dead any time, that can set an SRS light code.