Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GlynH5

join:2002-12-25
United Kingd

1 edit

Idiots Guide to VPN on 3CRWDR100-A72

Can some kind soul please point me in the right direction to setup my system to allow VPN connection from either a W2K or WinXP laptop remotely?

I am guessing that short term I can set up the standard MS W2K/XP VPN on the laptops but what do I have to do at the host end with regard to the local PC's and the router to allow a VPN to connect?

I have an NT4 Server which acts as domain authentication, DHCP Server, and runs WINS but I want to be able to tunnel into my main W2K workstation using the VPN when remote.

Can someone please 'spell it out' for me or point me to a resource that will do the same?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

rjs1003

join:2002-12-04
united kingd

I must first of all point out that I'm a little out-of-date and I haven't used this particular wireless router.
But the general idea goes:

1) Setup RRAS (Routing and remote access) on your NT4 server and configure the relevant users to have remote access

2) Configure your router to pass VPN traffic through to the NT server.

It is several years since I last did RRAS setup on NT so I won't try to be more explicit than that... there is probably still help on the web on how to do it. Be aware that you are exposing (even if only on the VPN port) a rather... erm, let's say "elderly" OS which isn't really up to modern security standards to the internet. You'll probably get away with it since it's only the one service exposed, but who can say for sure...

On the router, you need to configure it to direct PPTP traffic to your NT server. On most 3Com OC routers that means going to 'virtual servers' in the GUI and directing "PPTP" (or if that's not an option, TCP port 1723) to direct to the IP address of the server. But things may be slightly different on that product - you should look out for any checkboxes to turn on "PPTP passthrough" or "VPN passthrough" and make sure it is enabled.

If both of those steps work, it will all be fine. I think you should be able to test the RRAS setup separately from the router config by trying to connect to the server via PPTP from within the office. It should at least let you log in, I think...

Best of luck,
Bob

GlynH5

join:2002-12-25
United Kingd

Thanks for the reply Bob - it is a little clearer...

However I want to tunnel into my W2K workstation - not the aging NT4 server...

To the best of your knowledge is it possible to do this?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

rjs1003

join:2002-12-04
united kingd

I think other people on this forum may have better memories of all this than me... I've only ever used "server" versions of windows as VPN servers - my understanding was that WinXP Pro can host a single tunnel in, but that Win2000 Workstation and WinXP Home can't. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

Are there alternative ways round this instead of VPN? Might VNC be an option (perhaps with some sort of SSH application to transfer files between the machines if that's what you really need to do?)

Bob