share rss forum feed

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15

1 recommendation

New tool - smokeping

I have added a new line quality type test. It fills a gap between the existing line quality test, and long term ping monitoring.

»/smokeping

Turbocpe
Premium
join:2001-12-22
IA
Hopefully it's OK to reply here in regard to the new tool. I signed up my cable IP address and it's showing packet loss, which is not unusual for my connection.

However, I must be ignorant because I cannot really figure out how to read the graph itself.

Can someone explain it? I feel like an idiot because it doesn't really make sense to me.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet
each colored line segment is one pass. One pass is, as the graph says, 20 pings of 1k each. Your IP is checked roughly every 5 minutes (you can see the little purple line spans about a 5 minute period and represents exactly one test).

The grey smoke shows the distribution of the latency - the more variability among the latencies in the 20 pings, the more "smoke" appears above the avg result (the colored line). Hence smokeping.
The non green colors indicate packet loss of some kind (key below the graph). The red line indicates severe packet loss during that cycle.

When I do some decent downloading, my graphs show more smoke and a rise in the colored line segments indicating greater average latency, but no loss. Your graph is indicating a lot of loss.

Turbocpe
Premium
IA
reply to Turbocpe
Thanks. As the new tool suggested, it appears to be picking up the packet loss a lot better than the regular line monitors have. I've had this intermittent packet loss issue on my cable connection for quite some time. The line monitors here didn't really seem to pick it up, though pathping and ping utility, as shown below, clearly do, and so does this new tool.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
reply to justin
Thanks, noticed it a couple days ago when I happen to look under tools (which I have been doing very rarely lately)

Turbocpe
Premium
IA
reply to justin
Justin, I realize the tool is still new, but is it normal for it to go offline?

I'm using it for both DSL and cable monitoring, and I notice that today in particular, it has been down for the past 3 hours, for both lines I had monitored.

I've noticed this off and on the past few days as well.

Just FYI.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
no, obviously not "normal". The process of introducing new IPs seems to destabilize the smokeping daemon, but I've got a workaround.

scorpio54

join:2005-05-29
North Liberty, IA
reply to justin
I'm seeing 20 to 30% packet loss using the new smokeping tool.
»/r3/smokeping. ··· a6eadfb7
Is this a reliable test? How do I resolve the packet loss? I've done the tweak utility nad it shows all is well. I've been trying to resolve isues I've been experiencing for some time with my DSL. ISP says it's ok. Should I try a different provider? All I have for an alternative is Mediacom cable.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet
My current smoke ping is clean:
»/r3/smokeping. ··· 2974bca6
that is what it should look like.

There are two possibilities: one is your provider, or the equipment it uses or providers to you, limits ping response to a low amount. The other is your line sucks and you should get it fixed.

Turbocpe
Premium
IA

1 edit
reply to scorpio54
Click for full size
said by scorpio54:

All I have for an alternative is Mediacom cable.
Well I have Mediacom cable and I can tell you that resolving packet loss issues is not something they have been good at, atleast in my case.

Here is a screen capture of an example of mine. I did "alter" the image by underlining (in blue) the packet loss, to 'help' Mediacom read the problem.

Several months of this and they still have yet to get it right.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see that this was a sticky (important) thread. If my post above is too far off topic and not appropriate, I understand if it disappears.

scorpio54

join:2005-05-29
North Liberty, IA
reply to scorpio54
It seems my new router must have been causing packet loss. Switched back to old one and ran new smoke ping and it shows no packet loss across the board. Damn Linksys will be getting this new router back ASAP. Current Smokeping is:
»/r3/smok ··· dfe1cc74

generalbizzatyahoo

@comcast.net
I would pay someone a little
on paypal to make this medium
tech a supertech, in the area
of broadband cable optimization.
From my limited perspective, before
smokeping, I tried to figure out
the details from the more detail of
tweaks, etc, and do drtcp, etc but
I have no idea what some of the numbers
mean, and can't use tweaks to read it,
as I'm illiterate in several of the terms.
I'd like one good tech to earn some beer
money by IN DETAIL explaining how to tune
the tweaks report and smokeping into blazing
speed, and nothing else. Then we'll work on
firewall latency. Thank you all for your kind
tests and expert advice. generalbizz at yahoo

2kmaro
Think
Premium,ExMod 1 BC
join:2000-07-11
ColossalCave
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Create yourself an account here - no cost, no spam, privacy assured except in case of a court order, which hasn't happend lately. Why? Because it makes it much easier for folks to assist you.

Then when you do that you can ask all of the 'dumb' questions you like and get 'smart' answers and detailed explanations to all of them. Oh - ain't no such thing as dumb question, just question about something someone is unschooled about, and the answer is to help provide the schooling. The folks in this very forum can help explain just about anything to do with the tools, their results, and what to do to try to make things better.
--
...then THINK! again!!

Turbocpe
Premium
IA
reply to justin
Justin, like the BBR line monitor tool that allows you to see summary results of other members using the same ISP, is this a possible add-on feature with Smokeping?

I've been seeing a ton of packet loss on all 3 monitors for my cable ISP. It would be great if I could see any other reports from members who are using the same ISP in my area, so I know if the backbone is contributing any random packet loss to my known issue of packet loss with my cable ISP. I see an alarming amount of packet loss from my cable ISP, according to the smokeping tool.

I use the Smokeping for another ISP that I use, but they use a different backbone so comparing my two results between the two different ISPs are inconclusive.

Thanks.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet
well I would but with only 200-300 active smoke pings it is unlikely you'd find any others in your area AND on your ISP at any given moment.

I could archive the older results but then you'd be looking at one day of results from a neighbor a week or a month ago.

shadowvibe

join:2006-02-21
Middleton, WI

1 edit
here is the snap shot of my runnig smokeping. I have no idea what I'm really looking at. I dont thnik anything is wrong or fixable or tweakable. So what do you think?

Thanks

»/r3/smokeping. ··· e03bf727

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
the variability is quite high - from 70ms to 120ms - for a line that is not being used. If it really is not being used over that period.

Otherwise, it looks ok. Green = ok.

shadowvibe

join:2006-02-21
Middleton, WI
that sample mostly idle just a little webbrowsing in there.

I will let it go overnight and see the results.

I'm getting decent speeds despite the relatively high latency.
not sure how that works.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
high latency by itself isn't a bad thing, and you can tweak for it. But high variability is a sign of slight congestion vs a totally stable result.

NoExpert

join:2003-10-19
reply to justin
The graph does not look like the layout from those above and secondly I show 95.00% loss over three ping strings!
»/r3/smokeping. ··· 01&r=875

IP Rep

@comcast.net
reply to justin

Pinging

Cookies, Internet Applications, Security Applications, VOIPS, Modems and Routers can all affect your ping rate...so an end user ping does not have the same validity as an ISP ping to your modem...Packet loss of 10% or higher or a slow ping rate are both reason for immediate repair

tahoedan

join:2006-01-01
Tahoe City, CA
reply to justin

Re: New tool - smokeping

Here is my smoke ping what does it tell you?

»/r3/smokeping. ··· 19&r=463

GadgetVirtu

join:2008-08-10
Fort Worth, TX
reply to justin
The long term line tests gives us addresses(IPs) to allow through, which I have set in my router. What are the servers for this one?