uniqs
share rss forum feed

earthqueen

join:2006-03-03
Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·Google Fiber

FireFox browser question: some pages are too wide for screen

This forum list is a bit overwhelming for a techno-feeb like me, but I was sent here by a friend who said there would be help for me here. So here goes:

I use the FireFox browser, and have just updated to the 1.5 version. There are several web pages I visit frequently that do not automatically fit my monitor screen. They are too wide, and I have to scroll right to see the right hand part of the page. I don't have the same problem when I view the sites with my IE browser.

Is there a way to adjust my FireFox browser so that the width of those pages is resized to display on my monitor without having to scroll right?

And if this message is moved somewhere else, will I be able to find it?

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

2 recommendations

Wide Page Bookmark
I can give you a down and dirty fix.

Create a new Bookmark and name it Wide Page or what ever you want to.

In the Location block of the new bookmark copy and paste this line of code below into it.
javascript:(function(){var D=document;F(D.body);function F(n){var u,r,c,x;if(n.nodeType==3){u=n.data.search(/\S{45}/);if(u>=0){r=n.splitText(u+45);n.parentNode.insertBefore(D.createElement('wbr'),r);}}else if((n.tagName!='STYLE')&&(n.tagName!='SCRIPT')){for(c=0;x=n.childNodes[c];++c){F(x);}}}D.body.innerHTML+=' ';})(); 
Save the bookmark and place it on your Bookmark toolbar.

When ever you are on a page that is to wide just click the Wide Page bookmark and your page will resize to a normal page width.

*Note* If you see smiley faces of any type do not worry and just copy the entire code into the Location box of the new bookmark.
--
Fx Pacifica Branch, Tb Patrocles Branch, Fx Portable, Tb Portable

All nightly builds.

ctrip
Islam is a Religion of Peace
Premium
join:2002-07-16
New Cumberland, PA
reply to earthqueen

Click for full size
Too wide in Firefox
Click for full size
Not too wide in IE
Click for full size
Javascript trick not working
This thread is a perfect example. In Firefox, it is too wide and you are forced to scroll back and forth to read it. In IE it is shown correctly and you do not have to scroll back and forth to read it.

Also, the javascript trick is not working for me. I get the error message shown in the third screen shot.

fphall
The Guardian
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Bristol, CT
reply to earthqueen

didn't work here, either. :-(
--
Pete and theGSDs

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable
reply to earthqueen

Give me some links.....

It is working fine on every wide page I hit.

You have to click the bookmark on the wide page to make it work.

Like I said it is a hack but does work.
--
Fx Pacifica Branch, Tb Patrocles Branch, Fx Portable, Tb Portable All nightly builds.

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to earthqueen

Here is that js code again to past in the location box of the new bookmark.
javascript:(function(){var D=document;F(D.body);function F(n){var u,r,c,x;if(n.nodeType==3){u=n.data.search(/\S{45}/);if(u>=0){r=n.splitText(u+45);n.parentNode.insertBefore(D.createElement('wbr'),r);}}else if((n.tagName!='STYLE')&&(n.tagName!='SCRIPT')){for(c=0;x=n.childNodes[c];++c){F(x);}}}D.body.innerHTML+=' ';})(); 
--

All nightly builds.

fphall
The Guardian
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Bristol, CT

1 edit
reply to earthqueen

Ahhh,it becomes corrupted when pasted into the location. It gets prefaced with "http://" which you must remove and the colon and left paren are missing between javascript and function. If you edit it to look like GK's example in his first post, it works just fine.
--
Pete
and the
GSDs

edit:typo

samburgers
Premium
join:2001-05-23
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

1 recommendation

just replace the smiley with a colon and a left parenthesis, or autoquote and copy, or copy this:

this works really well on this page too ;)

--
Photoblog & Photos
--
Find ET ... SETI@Home
Find Cancer Cure ... Team Discovery

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to Grail Knight

EXCELLENT!

Thank you VERY much for that trick.
This "feature" has been buggin me for the l o n g e s t time, too.
--
~Help find a cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

JTM1051
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-08
Moorpark, CA
kudos:1
reply to Grail Knight

Re: FireFox browser question: some pages are too wide for screen

Thanks Greg!

There's two items I wish MoFo would do (or someone could create extensions) for Fx.

Provide the Fit to Page Width and Zoom Page like in Opera.

At least with Fx 1.5 MoFo finally fixed the splitting of graphics between two pages when printing web site pages.

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY
kudos:3
reply to Grail Knight

Nice! Thanks for that little bit of javascript!

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
reply to earthqueen

You are all welcome.

ravencajun
Premium
join:2004-08-12
Houston, TX
kudos:2
reply to earthqueen

Wow thanks so much for that fix it works like a charm!

Earthqueen thanks for bringing this question in! And welcome to dslreports!

purelander
Premium
join:2003-07-11

1 recommendation

reply to earthqueen

this version (modified by Jim R) won't break the Quick Reply at some forums:

javascript:(function() { var D = document; F(D.body); function F(n) { var u, r, c, x; if (n.nodeType == 3) { u = n.data.search(/\S{45}/); if (u >= 0) { r = n.splitText(u + 45); n.parentNode.insertBefore(D.createElement('wbr'), r); } } else if ((n.tagName != 'STYLE') && (n.tagName != 'SCRIPT')) { for (c = 0; x = n.childNodes[c]; ++c) { F(x); } } } D.body.parentNode.insertBefore(D.body, D.body); })();

the greasemonkey script is here:
»userscripts.org/scripts/show/1847

--
When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you. ~ Lao Tzu_/|\_

earthqueen

Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·Google Fiber
reply to earthqueen

Husband of EQ here.

Created a bookmark, pasted the code into the location. Made sure that the problem was fixed.

Sit on wide page, click on that bookmark one time. The only affect is that the list of bookmarks goes away, leaving a gray bar with "Wide Page" in black type and the red box with white X closure button. That's it. Did not fix the problem for her on this page or on a couple of other forum type pages that she subscribes to. Can't provide links to those as they are blind, private forums that you could not access.

Could this be a problem with whatever version of JS is on this machine? running Win2K, SP4; Java seems to be v.5.0.60.5.

Other suggestions? Corrections to what I'm doing wrong for her??

thanks in advance!

ravencajun
Premium
join:2004-08-12
Houston, TX
kudos:2
reply to earthqueen

I bet you did not get the entire code when you copied it. be sure to scroll and get the entire code that is in the blue box. Then paste it in the location area of the bookmark.
It worked great for me.

earthqueen

Kansas City, MO

I tried three more times. I'm sure I got the whole code. Still no effect.

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

Hello,

Delete the bookmark you made and try this again.

Follow my steps above then make sure you have all of the code I posted.
When you are on a page that is to wide or even this page with the boxes that have scrollbars just click the Wide Page bookmark and the page will resize along with boxes that will lose the scroll bars.
--

All nightly builds.

earthqueen

Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·Google Fiber

2 edits

Husband of EQ back again.

Verified that we have the code in your last post exactly, precisely as it is intended, replacing for the frownie.

What this SEEMS to do is to shrink the message window significantly, so that we can see most of the ID column, and all of the post column, but the menu button column has to be outside the window. We have not eliminated the need for the scroll bar. It has not disappeared. The message box is indeed narrower, but we have not eliminated the thing altogether.

We think that there is progress, inthat the message column of the window is much narrower than I remember it being before we started.

Is there one of the variables that I can play with to get this even narrower?

Cancel all of the above. There is no effect on the screen from this bookmark. Exited FF altogether, came back into the same problem, hit the Wide Page bookmark, and there was no effect whatsoever. Don't know what that earlier anomaly was, but I can't make it do it again. 8^(

Thoughts or ideas?

Edit #2-- When the edit screen comes up, there is no Left to Right scroll bar. When it goes into preview mode, no L2R scroll bar. Back to forum mode, and the scroll bar is back fully double wide of the screen.

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla

Like I said originally this is a hack until MoFo fixes the issue.

Give purelander's code a try and see if that works.
--
Fx Pacifica Branch, Tb Patrocles Branch, Fx Portable, Tb Portable All nightly builds.

ctrip
Islam is a Religion of Peace
Premium
join:2002-07-16
New Cumberland, PA
reply to earthqueen

Should we always wait for these quick and dirty hacks, or when can we expect sensible official builds?

Expand your moderator at work

Cozworth
Premium
join:2003-06-10
england
reply to earthqueen

You will have checked load bookmark into sidebar, which is what I did, and got the same effect as you.

Go back to properties and uncheck that box, and it should work. Worked like a charm BTW. You're a DSLreports blown margins godsend.

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
reply to Anon

So use IE then or what ever browser makes you happy.

No one is forcing you to use Firefox .
--

mep8

join:2001-04-14
Warrington, PA

said by Grail Knight:

So use IE then or what ever browser makes you happy.

No one is forcing you to use Firefox .
Exactly!
Expand your moderator at work

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

This page I am on using Fx is readable so that makes it usable.

The layout reads left to right and top to bottom so that is sensible.

Maybe you should contact MoFo and express your concerns.

They might suggest glasses so do not be shocked.

Edit* Seriously though you have been around long enough that you could file a bug or vote for a bug filed already. If users do not vote for bugs they do not get worked on. This is the same in the real world with low priority issues being pushed off to the side.
--
Fx Pacifica 20060303 v1.5.0.1, Tb 20060304 v2.0a1, Fx Portable v1.5.0.1 , Tb Portable v2.0a1

The Complaint Department is: *Closed*.

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY
kudos:3
reply to purelander

purelander See Profile,

The greasemonkey script works like a charm! Very helpful post. Thank you.

Dave

earthqueen

Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·Google Fiber
reply to Grail Knight

Dear Grail Knight,
Thank you SO much for taking the time to deal with this issue. Today, the code IS affecting my screen.

I think what my husband was trying to achieve was the complete disappearance of the scroll bar that you mentioned, so that no scrolling right would have to be done at all. The way the page resizes when I hit the widepage/bookmark as recommended does all fit into the screen if I scroll right just about 2 inches. I notice I have to do it each time I return to the page.

(Checking and un-checking the box that says "load this book mark....." does not seem to change anything either way for me.)

I'm happy with this much improvement! Thank you!

purelander
Premium
join:2003-07-11
reply to StreetSpirit

you're welcome.:)