join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

1 edit

Grail Knight to earthqueen

Premium Member

to earthqueen

Re: FireFox browser question: some pages are too wide for screen

Hello,

Delete the bookmark you made and try this again.

Follow my steps above then make sure you have all of the code I posted.
javascript:(function(){var D=document;F(D.body);function F(n){var u,r,c,x;if(n.nodeType==3){u=n.data.search(/\S{45}/);if(u>=0){r=n.splitText(u+45);n.parentNode.insertBefore(D.createElement('wbr'),r);}}else if((n.tagName!='STYLE')&&(n.tagName!='SCRIPT')){for(c=0;x=n.childNodes[c];++c){F(x);}}}D.body.innerHTML+=' ';})(); 
When you are on a page that is to wide or even this page with the boxes that have scrollbars just click the Wide Page bookmark and the page will resize along with boxes that will lose the scroll bars.

earthqueen
join:2006-03-03
Kansas City, MO

2 edits

earthqueen

Husband of EQ back again.

Verified that we have the code in your last post exactly, precisely as it is intended, replacing for the frownie.

What this SEEMS to do is to shrink the message window significantly, so that we can see most of the ID column, and all of the post column, but the menu button column has to be outside the window. We have not eliminated the need for the scroll bar. It has not disappeared. The message box is indeed narrower, but we have not eliminated the thing altogether.

We think that there is progress, inthat the message column of the window is much narrower than I remember it being before we started.

Is there one of the variables that I can play with to get this even narrower?

Cancel all of the above. There is no effect on the screen from this bookmark. Exited FF altogether, came back into the same problem, hit the Wide Page bookmark, and there was no effect whatsoever. Don't know what that earlier anomaly was, but I can't make it do it again. 8^(

Thoughts or ideas?

Edit #2-- When the edit screen comes up, there is no Left to Right scroll bar. When it goes into preview mode, no L2R scroll bar. Back to forum mode, and the scroll bar is back fully double wide of the screen.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

Like I said originally this is a hack until MoFo fixes the issue.

Give purelander's code a try and see if that works.

earthqueen
join:2006-03-03
Kansas City, MO

earthqueen to Grail Knight

to Grail Knight
Dear Grail Knight,
Thank you SO much for taking the time to deal with this issue. Today, the code IS affecting my screen.

I think what my husband was trying to achieve was the complete disappearance of the scroll bar that you mentioned, so that no scrolling right would have to be done at all. The way the page resizes when I hit the widepage/bookmark as recommended does all fit into the screen if I scroll right just about 2 inches. I notice I have to do it each time I return to the page.

(Checking and un-checking the box that says "load this book mark....." does not seem to change anything either way for me.)

I'm happy with this much improvement! Thank you!

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

You are welcome.

JTM1051
MVM
join:2000-07-08
Terrell, TX

1 edit

JTM1051

MVM

Interesting ... at home was still using the pacifica-mozilla1.8 20060216 branch build and this topic was too wide to be viewed without the hack.

This morning at work open topic using the pacifica-mozilla1.8 20060302 branch build and it displays fine without having to use the hack?

Edit: BTW using same size monitor and screen display settings at home and work.

ctrip
Islam is a Religion of Peace
Premium Member
join:2002-07-16
New Cumberland, PA

ctrip

Premium Member

said by JTM1051:

Interesting ... at home was still using the pacifica-mozilla1.8 20060216 branch build and this topic was too wide to be viewed without the hack.

This morning at work open topic using the pacifica-mozilla1.8 20060302 branch build and it displays fine without having to use the hack?

Edit: BTW using same size monitor and screen display settings at home and work.
I think they fixed the code. It was to wide for me (see earlier screen shots). Now it is displaying correctly.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight to JTM1051

Premium Member

to JTM1051
Yes indeed it looks to be fixed.
Now I can have my space back on my bookmark bar.