spc
Search similar:

uniqs
spriteman707
join:2006-03-06
Central FL

spriteman707

[2K] WinXP pro simple file sharing and Win2K

I'm starting out basic with a typical/simple SOHO Workgroup LAN consisting of 2 computers via router/switch/WAP. the router is connected to a broadband modem. one box is running WinXP Pro SP2(NTFS) via ethernet cable and the laptop is running Win2K Pro SP4(Fat32) via wireless.

I can see/access shared files from both computers without any problem when I have 'file and printer' sharing enabled on both machines along with 'simple file sharing' enabled on the WinXP box.

However, since 'simple file sharing' uses the Guest account I want to disable it on the NTFS XP machine to limit security issues. When I disable the Guest account and disable 'simple file sharing' on the XP Pro box I can still access shared files on the Win2K laptop from the XP box just fine, as one would expect. But, I can no longer access the shared files on the winXP machine from the Win 2K laptop. In fact, Network Neighborhood on the Win 2K laptop won't even verify that either machine has any shared resources on them. I just get the message: '(workgroupname) is not accessible. The network path was not found'

Both machines have identical user accounts set up with identical passwords. Permissions on the shared folders are set to 'Everyone' and shared folder Security settings are fully relaxed in order to try and get it to work. I have disabled Windows Firewall on the XP box and disabled Zonealarm on the Win2K laptop -- booted and rebooted both machines to no avail.

This is my first network, so I may be missing something very obvious? It would appear that authentication is defaulting to the Guest 'user' account rather than a more secure method. The fact that I have NTFS on one and Fat32 on the other shouldn't make a difference should it? -- I have identical accounts/passwords set up on both machines.

cacroll
Eventually, Prozac becomes normal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-25
Martinez, CA

cacroll

Premium Member

said by spriteman707:

I'm starting out basic with a typical/simple SOHO Workgroup LAN consisting of 2 computers via router/switch/WAP. the router is connected to a broadband modem. one box is running WinXP Pro SP2(NTFS) via ethernet cable and the laptop is running Win2K Pro SP4(Fat32) via wireless.

I can see/access shared files from both computers without any problem when I have 'file and printer' sharing enabled on both machines along with 'simple file sharing' enabled on the WinXP box.

However, since 'simple file sharing' uses the Guest account I want to disable it on the NTFS XP machine to limit security issues. When I disable the Guest account and disable 'simple file sharing' on the XP Pro box I can still access shared files on the Win2K laptop from the XP box just fine, as one would expect. But, I can no longer access the shared files on the winXP machine from the Win 2K laptop. In fact, Network Neighborhood on the Win 2K laptop won't even verify that either machine has any shared resources on them. I just get the message: '(workgroupname) is not accessible. The network path was not found'

Both machines have identical user accounts set up with identical passwords. Permissions on the shared folders are set to 'Everyone' and shared folder Security settings are fully relaxed in order to try and get it to work. I have disabled Windows Firewall on the XP box and disabled Zonealarm on the Win2K laptop -- booted and rebooted both machines to no avail.

This is my first network, so I may be missing something very obvious? It would appear that authentication is defaulting to the Guest 'user' account rather than a more secure method. The fact that I have NTFS on one and Fat32 on the other shouldn't make a difference should it? -- I have identical accounts/passwords set up on both machines.

Is the account on the XP computer activated for network access? Are both computers in the same workgroup?
»nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2 ··· tml#Help

Let's look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" from each computer, so we can diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
»nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2 ··· gForHelp
spriteman707
Central FL

spriteman707

okay, I verified the XP account is activated and both machines are in the same workgroup(bob&will) per the linked article. below you will find the ipconfig/browstat outputs from each machine as requested. I'll have to admit, the browstat output looks a little funky.

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : vaio2k
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : earthlink.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : earthlink.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ORiNOCO PC Card (5 volt)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-39-FE-6A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.113
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 06, 2006 1:15:21 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 13, 2006 1:15:21 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Cable Disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-46-16-B3-F3

Status for domain BOB&WILL on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8AF110DC-FD26-45D4-86B6-927A2D1DA026}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: ?????
Could not connect to registry, error = 53 Unable to determine build of browser master: 53
Unable to determine server information for browser master: 123
1 backup servers retrieved from master ?????
\\PARKER
Unable to retrieve server list from ?????: 2351

WinXP machine (parker):

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : parker
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : earthlink.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : earthlink.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1D-AD-DC
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.112
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 06, 2006 8:44:09 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 13, 2006 8:44:09 AM

Status for domain BOB&WILL on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3D75A791-C15B-4F4C-A8F1-990C17321900}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: ????
Could not connect to registry, error = 53 Unable to determine build of browser master: 53
Unable to determine server information for browser master: 123
1 backup servers retrieved from master ????
\\PARKER
Unable to retrieve server list from ????: 2351

cacroll
Premium Member
Martinez, CA

cacroll

Premium Member

said by spriteman707:

okay, I verified the XP account is activated and both machines are in the same workgroup(bob&will) per the linked article. below you will find the ipconfig/browstat outputs from each machine as requested. I'll have to admit, the browstat output looks a little funky.

OK, let's see what the 123 and 2351 mean:
»nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2 ··· ror.html
C:\Documents and Settings\cacroll>net helpmsg 123

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

C:\Documents and Settings\cacroll>net helpmsg 2351

This computer name is invalid.

EXPLANATION

The specified computer name is invalid.

ACTION

Contact technical support.
My guess is we're looking at LSP / Winsock corruption. Parker is seen as the backup server by both parker and vaio2k; generally the master and backup on a small LAN is the same. So start with Parker. Be patient and persistent.
»nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2 ··· -in.html
spriteman707
Central FL

spriteman707

well, I did some more reading and it appears my perception of how 'sharing' is supposed to work was not correct. I thought I could disable the guest account and disable 'file and print sharing' on both machines and still be able to 'see' shared folders as long as the computers were in the same workgroup and each user account was identical on both computers. but, it appears it's mandatory to have 'file and print sharing' enabled on the box that's sharing the content. although this sounds obvious, I obviously didn't "get it".

the ipconfig and browstat output listed above was obtained with 'file and print sharing' disabled on both computers. which is probably why it has a few errors in the output.

I have since verified that I can disable the guest accounts and access shared content from both of my machines as long as the machine sharing the content has 'file and print sharing' enabled.

am I stating this all correctly? if so, I appreciate your help and even though nothing was apparently 'broke' I have learned a lot. thanks for your time.

cacroll
Premium Member
Martinez, CA

cacroll

Premium Member

said by spriteman707:

I thought I could disable the guest account and disable 'file and print sharing' on both machines and still be able to 'see' shared folders as long as the computers were in the same workgroup and each user account was identical on both computers. but, it appears it's mandatory to have 'file and print sharing' enabled on the box that's sharing the content. although this sounds obvious, I obviously didn't "get it".

the ipconfig and browstat output listed above was obtained with 'file and print sharing' disabled on both computers. which is probably why it has a few errors in the output.

I have since verified that I can disable the guest accounts and access shared content from both of my machines as long as the machine sharing the content has 'file and print sharing' enabled.

I think you're starting to get the picture. Windows Networking is a very deep subject, with many layers. You have to get the lower layers working first.

In your case, maybe you should start with my Windows Networking troubleshooting guide. Make sure that you have the protocols and services right, before moving to the file sharing / authentication issues.
»nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2 ··· ood.html