Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

Michieru2 to TheOtherPete

Premium Member

to TheOtherPete

Re: Customer Suggestions (How to improve Speakeasy)

I never heard of such a setup really. All home wiring setups have a individual cable all going to the NID.

So if you said you where able to achieve dialtone on all your lines then somehow all these cables are somehow connected.

Anyway setup 1 should be from a standard POTS. The idea I am getting of your setup is second one.
Setup 1

Setup 2
TheOtherPete
join:2001-06-28
Boyds, MD

TheOtherPete

said by Michieru2:

I never heard of such a setup really. All home wiring setups have a individual cable all going to the NID.
Sorry but that is just wrong ("all home wiring setups").

Are you saying each jack in your house has a separate cable that is run back to the NID? If so your NID must be significantly different then mine and must have many more cables going into it. In my house all the jacks are daisy-chained together like a Christmas light set (like in your setup 2 diagram), I assume this is just cheaper for the builder (less wire to run).
said by Michieru2:

So if you said you where able to achieve dialtone on all your lines then somehow all these cables are somehow connected.
I can't imagine a phone configuration in which all the phones jacks are not all interconnected at some point. That's the only way it can work, otherwise each jack would have its own separate line.
said by Michieru2:

Anyway setup 1 should be from a standard POTS. The idea I am getting of your setup is second one.
Your first diagram looks like you have all the jacks run back to a central place where they are all tied together and that in turn is connected to your NID by a single cable (which is different from every jack being run back to the NID, your earlier statement).

Regardless of how they are tied together (either of your two diagrams will work), if you disconnect all house wiring from the NID and leave all of the jacks interconnected then you can do what I said (connect the ATA to any jack and all jacks will work). If you look at from an electrical perspective this should be obvious.

borborpa
Slipping Slowly Into Oblivion
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
New Cumberland, PA

borborpa to Michieru2

Premium Member

to Michieru2
If all jacks go individually to the NID, they are still connected AT the NID, and therefor interconnected.

In order to get dialtone from the VOIP adapter onto all phones, you only disconnect the incoming phone service pair from the NID, leaving all of your pairs connected to the red/green poles. Then connect the VOIP adapter to any jack inside, and it will power them all.

I was lucky, I have a punch-down block in the basement, the line comes in from the NID then out from there, so I disconnected the incoming, and the telco can't screw it up now.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

1 edit

Michieru2 to TheOtherPete

Premium Member

to TheOtherPete
Well from how the jacks are connected here this is basically the first setup is what I thought was the correct one since I seen it many times when I worked in construction.

But thanks for correcting me on that one. I never really seen a house daisy-chained in such a way but I do see electrical wiring that way so I suppose it's the same for phone. From a engineering stand point it does make sense considering the less tubing needed. But it's just one wire so if it where to fault if Jack 3 for example failed 1 and 2 will remain active but anything continuing up ahead will not work. So I can see the disadvantages of both these setups.

Also I was refering to how you did it when the main pair is at the NID and how that would work with all wires in the house if it where setup 1. But now that you say your lines are daisy chained it makes sense why all of them would work. Setup 1 consists of basically every jack having it's own wire and it tied to the NID, that's why it did not make sense to me. Plus you said you disconnected the Pair from the NID and from borborpa post it would not be interconnected. If you added a VOIP adapter to one jack and disconnected the pair from the NID. There would be no interconnecting going on.

Anyway thanks for clarifying that up, it makes sense now.

borborpa
Slipping Slowly Into Oblivion
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
New Cumberland, PA

borborpa

Premium Member

You can still have all the pairs in the NID in the house connected at the NID, and only disconnect the incoming from the CO, and all the lines will still be connected togetherm with the NID serving as a hub, so to speak.

My setup, as well as others, are different in that we can actually disconnect the internal lines from the NID completely, and run it that way.

For a great, graphical description of how to do it, see the following. »michigantelephone.mi.org ··· ute.html