All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
mackintire
join:2004-03-26
Pittsburgh, PA

mackintire to divdiv4

to divdiv4

Re: Customer Suggestions (How to improve Speakeasy)

T1 lines are full duplex. They can transmit and recive at the same time.

SDSL is half-duplex I belive. But the upload and download are symetrical.

ADSL has more download then upload and is half-duplex.

You can load a full duplex line aka (T1) with almost twice as many users as a SDSL line at 1.5Mbps. That would be the primary reason T1 is marketed as more expensive. Also Speakeasy gives T1 customers QOS priority over DSL users on thier network. Speakeasy's T1's are not normal T1s either. They are ATM lines that have the ability of a channelized T1 without the extra costs involved and are there for considered a better T1 then the norm.

And yes upload costs more then download.
ryanski
join:2005-11-08
Houston, TX

ryanski

said by mackintire:

T1 lines are full duplex. They can transmit and recive at the same time.

SDSL is half-duplex I belive. But the upload and download are symetrical.

ADSL has more download then upload and is half-duplex.

You can load a full duplex line aka (T1) with almost twice as many users as a SDSL line at 1.5Mbps. That would be the primary reason T1 is marketed as more expensive. Also Speakeasy gives T1 customers QOS priority over DSL users on thier network. Speakeasy's T1's are not normal T1s either. They are ATM lines that have the ability of a channelized T1 without the extra costs involved and are there for considered a better T1 then the norm.

And yes upload costs more then download.
Is this true? If so what do you mean the T1
s are not normal T1's? Does this mean they are faster? Lower latency? Also I have read that SE isn't on Point to Point they only offer Frame Relay does this make a huge difference? I heard that in some cases the latency can be the same there as well....

With T-1 can you monitor the amount of channels you use?
mackintire
join:2004-03-26
Pittsburgh, PA

mackintire

Speakeasys T1 lines are framerelay for the last mile, which lowers their upkeep cost. And traffic shaped as a channelised T1 at their POP so it has the benefits of both.

Read about it here:

»www.speakeasy.net/pdf/SP ··· ices.pdf

Later,

Mackintire