how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mackintire

join:2004-03-26
Pittsburgh, PA

Replaced Broadxent 8012U with Westell 6000

I am in charge of our companies IT department. I was asked to move us to a better connectivity system. I choose speakeasy. It took 3 Covad call outs to condition the line over a period of 4 months. This was expected at our location as it took verizon over a year to condition our last line. The final outcome was a 90% stable line with occasional glitches. Our margins at that time where 22db down and 8db up 1.5Mbps/768Kbps. We moved the dsl modem (broadxent8012U) to within 6 inches of the NID install point and wired it with solid cat 6 to our router some 300' away. This finally removed the loss of DSL we were experiencing when the used TIG wielders, mostly wielding aluminum, in the next room. (we share a building with a wielding and fabrication company) our margins were now 24db/7.5db with an occasional slip on the upload to 6.5db. Most of the time the dsl worked, but occasionally we would have unexplained 30 second interruptions. I used every piece of diagnostic equipment available to us to find out what we going on. I have 30 users on this DSL line. I upgraded to 3.0Mbps/768Kbps and re-recorded our margins at 18db down and 7db up. The occasional glitches continued. So can to the conclusion that 1 of 2 things were happening: either the upload margin was too low or our download ACK packets were getting lost. So I bit the bullet and decided to change the DSL modem to the Westell 6000. This modem has the ability to do a few things that the Broadxent does not. It has a feature called Turbo TCP which is really just a QOS buffer for ACK packets in the on board upload buffer. It also has some ability to compensate for bridge taps and other line interference issues. I installed the modem this morning and called speakeasy for a report. The margins were as follows: 11.5db down and 10.5db up. Well that is a significant change. you do not loose sync until you are under 8db typically. And so far we have not have any problems (read glitches) with the line. I am confident at this point that this should resolve the last of our problems. I usually have heard about a ~glitch~ by this time of the day and as of yet have not heard from any of our departments.

I figured if I shared this story this may help others solve their problems with unreliable lines. The modem cost us $114 plus shipping.

The lesson here are:
Know your options. Research, DSL modems do make a difference.
Fix your inside wiring, if this isn t right nothing outside will help.

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN
good choice. My service is 1.5/768 at 16k feet and my Broadxent would drop service everyday for about 30 seconds, so I bought a Westell 6100 off of eBay, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. The Broadxent modems are good if you have great stats, but since my stats are marginal, the Westell does a really good job keeping the connection and compensating for the line noise.
--
Forget 'em, Support the Indies.»www.ind-music.com
Expand your moderator at work

drmorley
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-20
Park Ridge, IL
reply to mackintire

Re: Replaced Broadxent 8012U with Westell 6000

I did the exact same then when I started having problems with my 6.0/768 line. I worked with SE tech support and the reps I spoke with all said that the Westell 6000 does a much better job on marginal circuits than the Broadxent modem.

curmudge1

@columbia.edu
reply to mackintire

Re: Replaced Broadxent 8012U with Westell 6000/6100

I noticed this & other, similar posts. Since I was having trouble with my 1.5/768 connection at 11650 feet, I got a Verizon Westell 6100 off Ebay for $28. Upstream margin went from 7.5 (new Broadxent modem from SE, going back) to 12.5! Downstream went from 18 to 15, but that's OK.

I did enable the Turbo TCP, without knowing what I was doing, sounds like that was the right thing to do. Anyone know what the UBR entry means? It was set to 100, iirc, and I left it alone. Anyone know if it should be some other value & if so, what value?

Dave in NJ

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

sh10151

join:2003-03-03
Oceanside, CA
reply to mackintire

Re: Replaced Broadxent 8012U with Westell 6000

If I bought a used Westell 6100 from eBay, would it most likely work with Speakeasy's ADSL setup? Would it require specific configuration settings? Thanks in advance.

curmudge1

@columbia.edu
delusion_,

Yes, I bought a used "Verizon" Westell 6100 and it's working fine (see my post above 4/27). And, I've seen postings about using an SBC Westell 6100, too.

You'll need to change it to "bridging" unless you want it to be your router/firewall. And, if from SBC, theres another couple of settings, you can search this forum (and others) for info.

When you change the modem to "bridging", you'll lose connectivity to it via browser, so do that *last*.

--Dave in NJ

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN
reply to sh10151
Yes, if you buy a Westell 6100 from eBay it will work perfectly fine with Speakeasy's ADSL product. I've used both a Westell 2200 and a 6100 on my OneLink line, and they have worked flawlessly.

You will need to set the modem to bridge mode, and you will need the correct VPI/VCI settings (SE Tech support can give them to you). Everything else should be a piece of cake.
--
Forget 'em, Support the Indies.
»www.ind-music.com

lua6
Premium
join:2002-08-15
New York, NY
reply to mackintire
The 8012U is really bad... I recently swapped out my Broadxent 8120 with the 8012 since the 8012 was smaller and just a modem which is all I needed. But I occasionally get disconnects for no apparent reason. This only occured when i swapped the modems. I guess I'll have to go back to the 8120.