Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Finkelstein

join:2002-05-24
Boulder Creek, CA

Accessing modem status page

Hi all,
I've got a Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR DPC2100 modem that I rent from Comcast, and I'd like to be able to get to the various modem status pages when the modem is connected to the cable and has block sync. If the modem does not have sync, I can surf over to the modem's IP address and (using IE, not Firefox, grr...!) see various status pages for signal level, modulation type, logs, etc... The problem I'm having is that when the modem gets sync, most of the pages become inaccessible with the error message:

This feature is not enabled.
This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.

Please contact your data services provider for more information about this feature and its availability on the network.

Comcast tech support on the phone says "you're not allowed to see that stuff with the modem", Comcast tech support on e-mail says "this isn't a Comcast problem, go contact the modem vendor" and so, I'm suspecting that when I contact Scientific Atlanta, they will tell me that is *is* something Comcast needs to allow my modem to let me see (which makes the most sense).

Help! Any ideas how I get out of this quagmire?

thanks,
Saul

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM
kudos:1

1 edit
Here's what Jason over on the Comcast.net forums has to say about that.

»forums.comcast.net/thread.jspa?t···tstart=0

"Each modem will only have access to a certain amount of data that is visible through the status page. The team that sets the firmware for each modem has likely tested the disabled features and found them to be a security risk or they are features that simply do not function on the Comcast network. So unfortunately, there is no way for us to re-enable these features. If you do need additional information on certain signal levels that you cannot access via your modem status page, you can contact Comcast support (by phone or Live Chat) and they can provide these levels to you."

Finkelstein

Boulder Creek, CA
Interesting. I don't believe it, but interesting none the less.

Let's see - "security risk". I've looked at all the pages that I can see from my modem when it's not connected to the cable, and for the life of me, I can't quite see what security risk there is in me knowing signal levels, bit rates, channel numbers assigned and viewing the system status log.

OK - "simply do no function on the Comcast network". Hmm... so Comcast is saying that we have a DOCSIS-compliant modem that *they* provide and which provides various status information when *not* connected to the network, but somehow, through some sort of strange magic, the modem suddenly can't provide that information when it's connected to the cable? If that's true, that sounds like a bug in the modem firmware to me.

So, this all sounds very fishy to me.

Kind of like when I got my Speed Stream 5360 DSL modem years ago, and Pac*Bell/SBC said that customers are not allowed to look at DSL line statistics due to some unspecified reasons. So, when I bought a few other modems on EBay and used them on my DSL circuit, I was able to see the DSL line statistics and parameters. And, you know what? I've had one of those EBay modems on my DSL line for over two years now, and, as far as I know, the SBC network hasn't had a meltdown yet.

Saul

MrRuckus

join:2004-01-30
Portland, OR
While I agree and dont see a reason for blocking the info, in certain area's when they were switched from ATTBI over to Comcast it's just the way it is, its blocked for some. For others it works fine, & from what comcast has stated they dont seem to plan on turning it back on anytime soon. As far as I know there is no work around other then what was already stated which is to contact Comcast for that information.

reply to Finkelstein
It's not a conspiracy theory... Believe what you want, however, the ability to see modem stats for any cable modem *is* dependant on the firmware.

If you cannot see the modem stats from 192.168.100.1, some modems do not allow it. Call Comcast and they can be reviewed with an agent.

If you can see them one way and not the other (sync/no sync) What is the problem?

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
said by anontech1290u8 :

It's not a conspiracy theory... Believe what you want, however, the ability to see modem stats for any cable modem *is* dependant on the firmware.
Oh contrare, the cable ISPs had (asked) many modem vendors to dumb down their firmware releases a bit to hide some of the info presented on the modem status pages. Is it a conspiracy? Not sure but many of the vendors did remove access to some information for whatever reason. I assume the ISPs just got tired of users asking about stats they(the users) knew nothing about.

Finkelstein

Boulder Creek, CA
reply to anontech1290u8
said by anontech1290u8 :

It's not a conspiracy theory...
I didn't say it was a conspiracy, I said that the Comcast tech's explanation sounded fishy to me. I really don't believe that the CEO of Comcast sits in his office every day and worries that I might be able to see what bit rate my upstream connection is currently using .

said by anontech1290u8 :

Believe what you want, however, the ability to see modem stats for any cable modem *is* dependant on the firmware.
Uhm... yes, of course. What else would it be dependant on?

said by anontech1290u8 :

If you cannot see the modem stats from 192.168.100.1, some modems do not allow it. Call Comcast and they can be reviewed with an agent.
I don't want to call Comcast every day to get information that my modem should be able to provide me any time I want to see it. And, as I wrote in my original post, I have gotten two conflicting answers from Comcast.

said by anontech1290u8 :

If you can see them one way and not the other (sync/no sync) What is the problem?
Do you drive a car? What would think if the car manufacturer only let you see what the speedometer said when the car was stopped? Not that useful, would it be?

Saul

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
If viewing modem info. is important to you, get rid of the WebStar and get a Linksys BEFCMU10 v4. People in this forum can vouch for it's performance & reliability and the fact it will provide Provisioned rates, etc.
--
Write me up for 125.......I Can't Drive 55 »redrocker.com/ »cabowabo.com/

Finkelstein

Boulder Creek, CA
said by Johkal:

get a Linksys BEFCMU10 v4.
Thanks, I've been meaning to buy a modem anyway instead of paying Comcast the monthly fee.

Which brings up an interesting point - if Comcast claims that viewing line statistics is somehow a "security issue", then why do they allow customers to buy their own modems and, well, view line statistics...? Sounds like a lot of obfuscation on their part.

Saul

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
The security discussion could go round and round with no resolve. The fact that some modems provide full info, some partial & some none, makes the discussion pointless.

Here is another interesting fact. The Canadian ISP Shaw uses the same firmware versions as we do, but their modem info is completely blocked. Figure that one out.
--
Write me up for 125.......I Can't Drive 55 »redrocker.com/ »cabowabo.com/

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
said by Johkal:

Here is another interesting fact. The Canadian ISP Shaw uses the same firmware versions as we do, but their modem info is completely blocked. Figure that one out.
Now that's interesting!!

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
Check your IM!