dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

anontech1290u8 to Finkelstein

Anon

to Finkelstein

Re: Accessing modem status page

It's not a conspiracy theory... Believe what you want, however, the ability to see modem stats for any cable modem *is* dependant on the firmware.

If you cannot see the modem stats from 192.168.100.1, some modems do not allow it. Call Comcast and they can be reviewed with an agent.

If you can see them one way and not the other (sync/no sync) What is the problem?

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

said by anontech1290u8 :

It's not a conspiracy theory... Believe what you want, however, the ability to see modem stats for any cable modem *is* dependant on the firmware.
Oh contrare, the cable ISPs had (asked) many modem vendors to dumb down their firmware releases a bit to hide some of the info presented on the modem status pages. Is it a conspiracy? Not sure but many of the vendors did remove access to some information for whatever reason. I assume the ISPs just got tired of users asking about stats they(the users) knew nothing about.
Finkelstein
join:2002-05-24
Boulder Creek, CA

Finkelstein to anontech1290u8

to anontech1290u8
said by anontech1290u8 :

It's not a conspiracy theory...
I didn't say it was a conspiracy, I said that the Comcast tech's explanation sounded fishy to me. I really don't believe that the CEO of Comcast sits in his office every day and worries that I might be able to see what bit rate my upstream connection is currently using .
said by anontech1290u8 :

Believe what you want, however, the ability to see modem stats for any cable modem *is* dependant on the firmware.
Uhm... yes, of course. What else would it be dependant on?
said by anontech1290u8 :

If you cannot see the modem stats from 192.168.100.1, some modems do not allow it. Call Comcast and they can be reviewed with an agent.
I don't want to call Comcast every day to get information that my modem should be able to provide me any time I want to see it. And, as I wrote in my original post, I have gotten two conflicting answers from Comcast.
said by anontech1290u8 :

If you can see them one way and not the other (sync/no sync) What is the problem?
Do you drive a car? What would think if the car manufacturer only let you see what the speedometer said when the car was stopped? Not that useful, would it be?

Saul

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

If viewing modem info. is important to you, get rid of the WebStar and get a Linksys BEFCMU10 v4. People in this forum can vouch for it's performance & reliability and the fact it will provide Provisioned rates, etc.
Finkelstein
join:2002-05-24
Boulder Creek, CA

Finkelstein

said by Johkal:

get a Linksys BEFCMU10 v4.
Thanks, I've been meaning to buy a modem anyway instead of paying Comcast the monthly fee.

Which brings up an interesting point - if Comcast claims that viewing line statistics is somehow a "security issue", then why do they allow customers to buy their own modems and, well, view line statistics...? Sounds like a lot of obfuscation on their part.

Saul

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

The security discussion could go round and round with no resolve. The fact that some modems provide full info, some partial & some none, makes the discussion pointless.

Here is another interesting fact. The Canadian ISP Shaw uses the same firmware versions as we do, but their modem info is completely blocked. Figure that one out.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

Here is another interesting fact. The Canadian ISP Shaw uses the same firmware versions as we do, but their modem info is completely blocked. Figure that one out.
Now that's interesting!!

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Check your IM!