Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to crcole

Re: Should I Be Concerned About Download Cap

If you are on a 4Mbps package than it is safe to say that you don't have to worry unless you are constantly maxing the download, you would literally have to download at max. speed for 3-4 days constant just to get into the heavy usage zone (over 100gb), and about 2-3x more than that to start worrying.. It would take between 31 to 181! audio streams (22-128kbps) to even max. the downstream.

Don't be paranoid.. Unless you are massively downloading very large files (near 1gb) constantly, you have nothing to worry about.. It's very hard to use that much bandwidth under any normal use, most people who reach that type of usage are downloading DVDs and other illegal stuff from newsgroups and torrent.

It's pretty sad when companies do this type of things to customers.... They make the customer feel like they can't use things that broadband was made for (streaming, large websites, large downloads)

Bottom line: Don't worry about streaming media (ESPECIALLY audio).. For downloads, you will most likely fill your hard drive before you reach those "limits".

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to Nerdtalker
said by Nerdtalker:

I can personally pretty much guarantee that unless you're doing some massive pr0n/scientific research downloading/P2P w4rez dump, you won't hear boo.
Then when he gets busted can he say NerdTalker from DSLR said it was perfefctly acceptable? ( Just beating JT to the punch!!)

I see JT's point that its all MOOT if the actual cap isnt declared.. but I think common sense and past experience has shown where the caps are and those who get the "letter" are never really SURPRISED when they do...
--
*´*)
¸.•´¸.•*') ¸.•*.
(¸.•´ (¸.•'
Technicians -Unplugged

eco
Premium
join:2001-11-28
Wilmington, DE

1 recommendation

reply to crcole
Are you guys in here serious? Comcast has their own damn music audio streaming service with Rhapsody for christs sake, and music is obviously going to be much more bandwidth than talk radio. Get real. You guys know that his sons streaming a few baseball games a week is not even going to make a blip on the radar. You're just trying to be pains in the ass and you know it.

rhexis

join:2002-05-18
Gilbertsville, PA

1 recommendation

what a load of crap i have read here. to the op, like other sane people have stated, you can safely listen to your streaming audio without worrying about being terminated.
hey data whore, your attempt at spreading fud on comcast has worn thin. why not step away from your computer for a few minutes and get some fresh air for a change. geeze.

Drizew

join:2004-09-17
Los Lunas, NM

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to crcole
How about this.. Go ahead and stream the games everytime you get a chance, and don't worry about getting "capped". I have downloaded over 10gigs in 1 night (game demos and a couple full length free games, plus one of them twice.) while streaming and playing online games. As long as its not 24/7 or over 100 gigs (at LEAST) you shouldn't hear a peep from Comcast.

JTRockville you should either try to help the person with the question or just NOT post. Spare us from all of your bs.

Thx

Loker
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Fargo, ND

1 recommendation

reply to crcole
I think you have to hit 250 to 300 GB's before any of the Comcast area's will start getting mad.....besides that if they are gonna kick you off for streaming audio or video they better stop offering it themselves!
--
"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic inQuake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

eco
Premium
join:2001-11-28
Wilmington, DE

1 recommendation

reply to Drizew
said by Drizew:

...I have downloaded over 10gigs in 1 night (game demos and a couple full length free games, plus one of them twice.)...
It's funny how whenever someone in this forum mentions they've downloaded a lot of stuff, they make sure to let everyone know what they're downloading is free, legal content like game demos and linux distros...even when chances are a lot of it is not. I'm not sure I see the point. Were the MPAA/RIAA to even monitor these forums, simply saying you do these things is not worth anything to them. 85% of the 300+ GB I download each month is pirated content. I see so no reason to be coy about it.

acrufox

join:2004-07-14
Canada

1 edit
One thing though, there are circumstances where there are legit users that do use the service for legitimate purposes. No user could really say "everything on my computer and on-line is legit" There is no such user, unless they don't use the internet 0_o. I know people who consider themselves perfectly legal, never download a thing with mp3s etc. Yet if I do some digging I find out they rip CD's from the library but consider that legal because it's offered via a public service.

Then there's shareware and trial programs. Some you blindly agree to the licence just to get to the program (aka winzip) and use it past the trial period. Technically you agreed to use said program laid out in the agreement, but you're now using it past that time. I've seen users download cracks and registry keys to keep their so called freebie running.

I've even had devout Christians swear by their faith that I could not find a single thing on their system and even challenged me to do some digging they were that confident. It didn't take me long, I opened up their e-mail and sorted by attachment size, sure enough I found a few mp3s of copy-written Christian music sent by one of their family members. They got theirs from a "friend of a friend" method that usually if you traced it far enough back, they had the original CD, they copied it, then it got passed along X amount of times.

If we want to take the stupidity of the RIAA to the the extreme, pretty much almost everyone who uses a computer is breaking the law even if they think they are not.

With me, when I'm not on the job, I'm downloading 3-4GB DVD images from Microsoft and on the side still trying the find a linux version that works with my laptop/wireless. After tending to my hobby of beta testing and making house calls to family and friends I would hardly have the time to pursue illegal activities. In my instance...the MPAA....why bother downloading movies and pirated movies? If I wait a few weeks/months I can see it for 50 cents or $1 at the local dollar theater. Cheaper than a new rental but get to see it on the big screen. Why in the world would I waste one second of my time downloading a bootleg copy.

One could argue one would simply be tempted to pirate the DVD when it comes out to the local video store....again why bother? Within 6-12 months of being released to DVD, the store has excess amounts of DVD's to the movie (In my case, Madagascar) If I wait a few months after it's released, I can buy a used legit copy for under $10.

At the end of the day, even I could not profess to be 100% legit, I have many family members using their own computers on the connection, and I have neither the time nor resources to filter what they download or view when I'm not around.

Thus it coming down to the ultimate question, "how much is too much" almost everyone in the family is very computer orientated. On a regular basis I see streaming media clips, shockwave presentations, or WOW patches/HL steam game downloads and purchases. That's just two users out of 5 that use the connection.

What? Are we supposed to spy on fellow family members now and report them? If that's the case....Big brother really is watching you.

Then there is a friend of the family who switched from Comcast to Verizon DSL to save on costs. After looking at their logs, I found out dozens of gigs was sent from their PC via wireless. Who knows what said wardrivers downloaded off their connection let alone neighbours that they could be nailed for even though they didn't consciously download it or have a copy on their PC, merely the fact their Westell 327 modem came with unencrypted wireless turned on by default, they assumed it was just like Comcast. Plug the modem in and "go" :P

MrBradTX

join:2001-05-23
Carrollton, TX

1 edit
reply to JTRockville
nm

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to cracker 52
Focussing on *affluent areas*? Excuse me, but what makes you think they are focussing on *affluent areas*? Because they aren't dealing with much in the way of MDUs? The MDU issue is largely for technological reasons (deployment in MDUs is a major problem) and affects expensive condos as much as lower-end apartments. Verizon, so far, in their FIOS deployments, has not redlined (or greenlined) in ONE single state. There have been deployment issues WITHIN particular states (the Greater Rockville, MD issue that JTRockville has referred to in the Verizon FIOS Forum, for example, is caused by a *specific municipality*), but issues like that are NOT the fault of VZ.