how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

polk5

join:2001-12-29
New Orleans, LA

Extention Cords

I finally recieved a pair of »www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/wec.shtml?cpg=28H and they work awsome. Has anyone tried them yet? I have them transmitting from a pop to a pop without power about 6 miles away. I ripped off the stupid looking antennas and replaced them with pigtails and 24dbi grids.

superdog
I Need A Drink
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

said by polk5:

I finally recieved a pair of »www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/wec.shtml?cpg=28H and they work awsome. Has anyone tried them yet? I have them transmitting from a pop to a pop without power about 6 miles away. I ripped off the stupid looking antennas and replaced them with pigtails and 24dbi grids.
I also used them, after Joe told me about it, and I have to say, this is REALLY cool. It's a LOT cheaper than solar panels and marine batteries, and a lot easier to use. The 7.2Ghz grids are so small that they almost fit anywhere.
--
»www.wavecrazy.net Join WISPA today! »www.wispa.org/

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to polk5

Care to explain how it works?

Airplane777

join:2004-06-20
reply to superdog

I think they work great too.

Premium
join:2003-06-05
Parker, CO
reply to polk5

I just about pee'd my pants reading this....

I'm going to attach one to my wife's vacuum cleaner with a 7dB duck antenna and watch her go to town. I wonder if you can create a mesh and just purchase the female ends

Rich

Rahail

join:2005-12-21
Troy, MI
reply to polk5

I guess then you dont need POE

superdog
I Need A Drink
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA
reply to Hahausuck

said by Hahausuck:

7.2Ghz generates extreme voltage when it is subject to inverse polarities. If You use it to generate heat, it will easily power a DC to AC rectifier, and the heat exchange will make 120V AC without a problem. Since the wavelength is so short, swapping out the polarities causes the modulation to cause extreme heat, driving the receiving chip to oscillate. the oscillations correspond to the same wavelength as 120V, so You can use this anywhere. MIT grads came up with this last year, BUT it took quite awhile to contain the extreme heat. This is the greatest.
--
»www.wavecrazy.net Join WISPA today! »www.wispa.org/

Premium
join:2003-06-05
Parker, CO
reply to Rahail

rahail

You will still need E but not P

Rahail

join:2005-12-21
Troy, MI
reply to 40883644

Rich you do that and let use know about it

zPacKRat

join:2000-09-05
Ramona, CA
reply to Hahausuck

they only work on the 1st of April, but they do work well.
--
If it's not broke............Overclock it!

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to polk5

Screw broadband over powerlines... Now we've got power over broadband!

uscomputing

join:2005-01-26
Buffalo, NY
reply to polk5

Is that really an April Fools Joke?

That would be so cool!!!

uscomputing

Buffalo, NY
reply to polk5

DOH!

wispman

join:2004-12-21
USA
reply to uscomputing

Add the product to your cart! The shipping is insane!

ponline

join:2004-03-04
presheva

2 edits

WOW, amaizing
Comes to mind a new business, Wireless Eletricity Provider.

pointrow
Premium
join:2003-09-23
Poplar Bluff, MO
reply to polk5

that was a good one. if my history is correct someone has already done that, long time ago.

»home.earthlink.net/~drestinblack···less.htm

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
reply to superdog

said by superdog:

said by Hahausuck:

7.2Ghz generates extreme voltage when it is subject to inverse polarities. If You use it to generate heat, it will easily power a DC to AC rectifier, and the heat exchange will make 120V AC without a problem. Since the wavelength is so short, swapping out the polarities causes the modulation to cause extreme heat, driving the receiving chip to oscillate. the oscillations correspond to the same wavelength as 120V, so You can use this anywhere. MIT grads came up with this last year, BUT it took quite awhile to contain the extreme heat. This is the greatest.
you gotta be shitting me now man....seriously come on.
--
Using a non-ports-system OS is like masturbating with a cheese grater

VariableARK

join:2003-03-17
USA
reply to polk5

damnit i hate april fools day, i was about to die from sheer amazement and then no... doh, what a downer.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

said by VariableARK:

damnit i hate april fools day, i was about to die from sheer amazement and then no... doh, what a downer.
Future is bright for small-scale wireless power delivery.

1. Yagi used his namesake antenna in the late 1920s in several "wireless power" experiments. He failed.

2. Tiny model helicopters have been powered using microwave rectifying antenna (rectenna) devices.

3. Lightwave powered rectenna devices is the subject of serious US Govt research.
»www.nrel.gov/docs/fy03osti/33263.pdf

uscomputing

Buffalo, NY
reply to polk5

If I recall Tesla was also working on wireless power applications. He thought it would be possible to power a flying airplane from a base on the ground.

When asked if it would mess the current economy since oil was such a big part of it he replied "I think it's pretty messed up already!"

And this was like 1930 and here we are with oil still being the biggest business in the country.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

Didn't Tesla try wireless power? Yeah, it worked, but it was a hair raising experience.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
Ottawa, ON

This April fools post actually has been very very inspiring.

I am thinking that a 2W access point could be powered using available 77Ghz automotive radar modules with a more focused horn antenna.

I also found US and Israel has riot control weapons that use microwave beams. I am sure a few watts reach the skin at 100 meters.

pointrow
Premium
Poplar Bluff, MO
reply to polk5

»www.haarp.net/
»www.haarp.alaska.edu/

when i started my wisp business i had a couple of retired RF engineers help me do some link budgets and such on my first major pop. May both rest in peace. We got to talking about microwave rf and what it could do, one of the old men laughed to himself and said i'll sent you a link to something you might want to keep up with as time goes on. he did and i have.

Airplane777

1 edit
reply to polk5

I heard that people, who lived near very high power radio stations, have been able to pick up the rf energy to light their flourescent light bulbs in their homes.

I heard this years ago. I don't know where it was done at. I know there use to be some pretty high power AM radio stations around.

Several years ago there was a very high power one, I think in the mid west...I forget the call letters. They lowered their power after years of high power operation...I think to save electricity...lol.

I don't remember the call letters right now, but at their high power, I bet if you lived near them, you could put up some kind of long wire antenna to pick up the eneregy and light some flourescent light bulbs.

pointrow
Premium
Poplar Bluff, MO

i don't know about am but fm will. i have a pop at a fm station and had some equipment in the transmitter building. one day i forgot to check something and went back in the building after just leaving and turning off the lights. but when i opened the door the floresant lights directly above the tuning tube of the fm transmitter were lit up about a foot wide. after a while they finally went out. i moved my stuff out of the room and mounted a box on the side of the building to house my stuff.

uscomputing

Buffalo, NY
reply to polk5

Yep - Tesla coils have been known to light up flourecent bulbs from several yards away. A google search yields some pretty cool videos!

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
Ottawa, ON

3 edits
reply to Airplane777

said by Airplane777:

pick up the rf energy to light their flourescent light bulbs in their homes.
I have lit many a flourescent bulbs under Hydro transmission lines. But Richard Box has made a prank into an artform. »www.richardbox.com/

Dr. Schute, a favourite prof at the U of A, did this trick at our first-year Electromagnetics class. He asked the only female student in our class to come to the front and take one 4ft bulb out of a package that had 2 bulbs.

She was holding it beside his desk when suddenly it lit up and the whole class gasped. She dropped the bulb and it shattered. He then repeated the experiment with the second bulb and explained how it worked.

[Edit] I was reminded that overhead power lines carrying 400kV creates a significant electrical field to the ground. This field creates the same effect as the ballast used to drive these flouroscent bulbs. There is no RF involved at all and these fields are harmless.

I was also told that a model airplane flew using only microwave power delivery right here in Ottawa at the CRC grounds.

500kW EIRP at 5Ghz was used.
»www.friendsofcrc.ca/Projects/SHA···arp.html

Airplane777

1 edit

Radialink:

Thats some pretty neat stuff.