how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ddurant

join:2001-08-24
Marlborough, MA

Can't get to usenet?

I can't seem to get to USENET newsgroups on speakeasy. I'm connecting from a speakeasy.net IP address, I followed the instructions at »www.speakeasy.net/support/other/ ··· News.php , tried authenticated vs not, secure vs not and everything else I can think of but it still doesn't work.

Following their directions, I get: 480 authentication required.

If I add login info for authentication, it just keeps prompting me for my username & password.

Am I being thick here and missing something simple or does this just not work very well?

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA
said by ddurant:

I can't seem to get to USENET newsgroups on speakeasy. I'm connecting from a speakeasy.net IP address, I followed the instructions at »www.speakeasy.net/support/other/ ··· News.php , tried authenticated vs not, secure vs not and everything else I can think of but it still doesn't work.

Following their directions, I get: 480 authentication required.

If I add login info for authentication, it just keeps prompting me for my username & password.

Am I being thick here and missing something simple or does this just not work very well?
Normally works fine. Are you using the userid in the form of "USERID@speakeasy.net" and using your SpeakEasy login password?

-tom
--
"Some people have morals, standards and ideals about quality, but I'm an American: I couldn't care less." --Tony Pierce (paraphrased)

ddurant

Marlborough, MA

1 edit
reply to ddurant
I've tried logging in both with just my speakeasy account name and with it followed by @speakeasy.net.

Their docs don't say anything about logging in. Do you have to log in from the speakeasy IP?

edit: The FAQ here at DSLR says to use user@speakeasy.net but the help page at www.speakeasy.net doesn't. Just FYI to Adam.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
Alexandria, VA
nope. The username@speakeasy.net allows you to log in from anywhere in the world (that isn't filtering the port).

-tom

ddurant

Marlborough, MA
reply to ddurant
Figured it out.. At speakeasy.net, Manage/Add Services -> Manage Email/Passwords, there's a "Change News Password" option. I reset this password and things now seem to work.

I don't think I've ever changed this before. If it doesn't default to the account password it probably should, IMO.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
Alexandria, VA
said by ddurant:

Figured it out.. At speakeasy.net, Manage/Add Services -> Manage Email/Passwords, there's a "Change News Password" option. I reset this password and things now seem to work.

I don't think I've ever changed this before. If it doesn't default to the account password it probably should, IMO.
Why should it? I know that with my account, I get like three news accounts. If I were giving those accounts to roommates, or whatever, why would I want them to know what the main account management password was??

-tom
--
"Some people have morals, standards and ideals about quality, but I'm an American: I couldn't care less." --Tony Pierce (paraphrased)

ddurant

Marlborough, MA
Fair enough but it should probably go into the FAQ or at the speakeasy.net knowledge base.

The "how to set up news" article (»www.speakeasy.net/support/other/ ··· News.php) implies that you don't have to give login info if you're connecting through a speakeasy dialup/DSL line - at least with me, that's just plain wrong. Nowhere in that article does it even mention a separate news password. The FAQ here at DSLR doesn't mention it either.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
Alexandria, VA
I've always had to use authentication, no matter whether sitting on my line at home or roaming outside my network. Good likelihood the document's simply very dated.

-tom
--