Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robscullion
Premium
join:2001-12-07
Philadelphia, PA

Placing SE Voice TA (VT10005s) behind QoS capable router

I know SE's official policy is that the TA has to be placed between the DSL modem and the router. I'd like to try to unify QoS management of my line in one spot and have been thinking of using DD-WRT on my WRT54G to achieve this. As far as I can see, DD-WRT v23 provides for QoS management.

So is there any technical reason I couldn't put the TA behind the WRT and set up forwarding, tagging etc to use it as if it were in front of the router?

The second part of the question is, of course, if it's technically doable, has anyone around here set it up successfully? And would you be willing to provide pointers?

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN
Well, I had my SE Voice TA behind our m0n0wall router and had everything traffic shaped for it, but it still didn't do any good. The TA depends on a static IP that is given you by SE. Without that Static IP, the TA can't connect, thus you won't have any service.

I've just been through this and finally had to set up my system so that the Modem and Router run in parallel via a Netgear switch. The TA was undependable as a passthrough for the rest of my network (now that also could be because it was a bad TA, see my review for more details).

I was sent a new one and it works great, in parallel with the Modem.

I'm sure some have been able to do it. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. You can set the TA to get an IP automatically via DHCP, but it didn't work for me.
--
Forget 'em, Support the Indies.»www.ind-music.com

robscullion
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
I kind of figured I'd have to renumber to use my VoIP static IP vs my data as my WAN address. I was going to try running them in parallel as you did, but then I completely lose the QoS stuff on the local side.

Is it a no-no to run my whole network off the VoIP IP vs my assigned data IP? I assumed that wouldn't be a problem.

King P
Premium
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm sure you could try to run it off of any either one, but chances are it won't work if you run everything through the VoIP IP. The best thing to do would be to run it in parallel with the modem. The QoS is actually still pretty good, because I run a server, two workstations and vonage off of it in addition to my SE voice.
--

robscullion
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
I guess I'll give that a try. I'm not sure I understand how to avoid saturating the upload during BT/FTP sessions without going through the TA for QoS. Unless I reserve bandwidth for VoIP at all times, it seems like I'd stand a good chance of drowning out the outgoing VoIP data with large transfers.

King P
Premium
Murfreesboro, TN
As long as you have at least 90k of upload available, you should be ok. My upload is saturated with people downloading music from my server, but I never get a choppy call.

You could also plug your TA into the modem and let the TA run Passthrough for the rest of your network. I had a bad TA and mine would crash, but as I said earlier, this new one has worked just fine both in Parallel mode and in Passthrough mode.
--

robscullion
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
I would have thought that a few simultaneous downloads from your site would cause bandwidth contention issues with the VoIP. I guess I'll just put the TA in parallel with my gateway and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help King P!

King P
Premium
Murfreesboro, TN
said by robscullion:

I would have thought that a few simultaneous downloads from your site would cause bandwidth contention issues with the VoIP. I guess I'll just put the TA in parallel with my gateway and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help King P!
You're very welcome!
--