spc
uniqs

cracker 52
@comcast.net

cracker 52 to JTRockville

Anon

to JTRockville

Re: Should I Be Concerned About Download Cap

It all adds up to what levels for normal users?

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

JTRockville

Premium Member

said by cracker 52 :

It all adds up to what levels for normal users?
I don't have any idea what's "normal" or what can get your "lettered". No one else can say so with certainty either, not even dadkins See Profile.

So good luck guessing, and take it with a grain of salt.

audiostream
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

audiostream

Anon

yep and one should also take advice from ex customers that have an axe to grind with comcast with a grain of salt. and to the original poster hopefully you read thru the bs and your son enjoys his shows with the other millions of customers.

haamster
Premium Member
join:2002-12-02
Monroe Township, NJ

1 recommendation

haamster to JTRockville

Premium Member

to JTRockville
And how many pounds of salt should we take with you?

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins to JTRockville

MVM

to JTRockville
Ok, where have I ever stated *ANY* set limit on what constitutes "The Letter"?

My suggestion to you JT, is start at the beginning of this thread again, but read the OP's question this time.

cracker 52
@comcast.net

Anon

to JTRockville
Yes, but you are quite presumptuous to suggest that any normal users would have any risk of being terminated for normal usage. Just because the download cap is unknown does not mean a high number of customers are at risk to abuse warnings or termination. Think about it, Comcast has been growing their HSI customer base for the last several years. to about 8 million the last I've seen. Do you really think that a significant amount of customers have been terminated for bandwidth abuse with the growth they've had? Do you really think Comcast wants to reduce its customer base?

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

JTRockville

Premium Member

Frankly, I don't think Comcast cares at all about their count of customers. They care about revenue. Less customers (less costs) and higher prices (more profit) would suit Comcast (or any corporation) fine, don't you think?

In fact, I recently made that point in the VZ FiOS forum.

audiostream
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

audiostream

Anon

you should post there more often .. as for this thread. Give it a rest .. youve talked yourself into a corner.. theyll be something else you can guess and fabricate about tommorow im sure.

cracker 52
@comcast.net

Anon

to JTRockville
Quite the contrary. For all ISPs, equipment costs is the biggest component of their cost structure and spending requirements. Consequently, ISPs have every reason to maximize revenue and customer base to generate the all important free cash flow coverage (after capital expenditures) that the investors are looking for. As a matter of fact, investors are leery of the communication distribution industry as a whole because of concerns over telecos and cable companies fighting for market share, resulting in lower margins and ultimately returns on investment. Cutting personnel costs won't generate the desired profitability. But increasing revenue per employee will. That's why they are all pushing the triple play hard to gain market share or to at least maintain it before the high fixed costs eat them up.

The main reason why Verizon has low prices for their FIOS and are focusing on affluent areas is they want to minimize the "dark" or unused fiber, i.e., generating sufficient revenue to at least cover the high capital/start-up costs (depreciation expense) as well as hoping to generate the returns the investors are looking for. But many have concerns that whatever revenue and profits that may be gleaned from FIOS will not be adequate to compensate for shrinking landline revenue and its high margins (very little costs for calling features). Not to mention the fact that cable companies are not going to rollover and play dead to allow Verizon or ATT grab their customers.

Finally, your generalization that "corporations" desire less customers is quite loony and have no rational basis whatsoever. The best path to profitability is top line growth and productivity, not to decrease them. And higher prices haven't prevented Comcast from growing their customer base. And they have every reason to want to continue that growth as reflected in their presentations to investors/industry analysts.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

Focussing on *affluent areas*? Excuse me, but what makes you think they are focussing on *affluent areas*? Because they aren't dealing with much in the way of MDUs? The MDU issue is largely for technological reasons (deployment in MDUs is a major problem) and affects expensive condos as much as lower-end apartments. Verizon, so far, in their FIOS deployments, has not redlined (or greenlined) in ONE single state. There have been deployment issues WITHIN particular states (the Greater Rockville, MD issue that JTRockville has referred to in the Verizon FIOS Forum, for example, is caused by a *specific municipality*), but issues like that are NOT the fault of VZ.