MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

2 recommendations

Nerdtalker to JTRockville

MVM

to JTRockville

Re: Should I Be Concerned About Download Cap

This thread so far has been an amazing exercise in arguing semantics. I think we seriously need to re-evaluate the point of the discussion, as well as what the actual bottom line is here for the OP, and other "average" Comcast HSI customers.

I think it's calmly unreasonable to claim that occasional 3 hour 22kbps radio use is going to somehow tip the scales of acceptable use. The OP already stated that he doesn't do BT, P2P, or download massive numbers of games, game demos, or the latest updates for CS:S, DOD:S, and CS 1.6 from steam.

We can conclusively say that 324 MB, or even 1 GB of traffic isn't anywhere near unacceptable because of how much of a ludicrously small amount that is. Even occasional use of the Comcast "fan" consumes far more bandwidth than listening to 22kbps of radio 24/7 ever would. That, and, if I remember correctly, some of my own Comcast contacts already affirmed that at least 10 GB is around average for your typical customer. Even though we don't know what the actual value is for any market, or even what some baseline for generally accepted monthly use is, we can pretty much conclude that it isn't something as low as 350 MB because nobody has received a letter for that little traffic. Heck, that's how much I do in a typical day.

Take, for example, the below graph I just generated from my cacti which monitors my m0n0wall 24/7. Gosh, that's a ton of bandwidth used. That means BT, Steam GCF updates and downloads, game demos, pandora.com streaming audio on at least 3 computers, and that isn't 22kbps, and in addition, weekly debian updates, random package installs, photo e-mails to relatives, windows updates, AV definitions updates, .iso linux-live distribution BT activity, and more. Where's my letter?

The bottom line is that as far as the OP is concerned, there's nothing wrong with listening to streaming radio for a while, there just isn't. Five 128 kbps streams 24/7 is much more traffic than one 22kbps stream for a couple of hours a week. MVM tag and all this other hoop-la aside, I can personally pretty much guarantee that unless you're doing some massive pr0n/scientific research downloading/P2P w4rez dump, you won't hear boo. Take it for what it's worth. We can argue semantics until we're all blue in the face (or is it bloody-fingered?), but this is just called being reasonable.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool

Premium Member

said by Nerdtalker:

I can personally pretty much guarantee that unless you're doing some massive pr0n/scientific research downloading/P2P w4rez dump, you won't hear boo.
Then when he gets busted can he say NerdTalker from DSLR said it was perfefctly acceptable? ( Just beating JT to the punch!!)

I see JT's point that its all MOOT if the actual cap isnt declared.. but I think common sense and past experience has shown where the caps are and those who get the "letter" are never really SURPRISED when they do...