spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gjgfjfgj

@speakeasy.net

High Latency

First hop latency just went from 35 ms to 100 ms! Is there anyone else going through the Los Angeles POP that is experiencing this?

gjgfjfgj

@speakeasy.net

I guess this is the Los Angeles "maintenance" that »www.speakeasy.net/systemstatus/status.html is talking about. I hope it clears up soon. If I wanted this kind of latency I could have gone with dial up and saved a lot of money. Is anybody else experiencing poor latency with the Los Angeles POP? Is this going to be resolved soon, Adam?

adamA6
Adam Alexander

join:2003-09-23
Seattle, WA
reply to gjgfjfgj

The maintenance in Los Angeles was completed as scheduled last night. This was a rehoming of customer circuits from one backhaul with our vendor to another. Basically, just an aggregation of customer circuits on our backhaul.

This should not have impacted latency or routing, as both circuits are identical.

Have you contacted our Customer Support Team for assistance? They'll be able to diagnose and troubleshoot, and if needed engage our Network Operations Team for any routing anomalies.

If you're not having success there, please let me know and I'll investigate.

Thanks,
--
Adam Alexander
Speakeasy
Email - adama@speakeasy.net
www.speakeasy.net Broadband for Open Minds

gjgfjfgj

@speakeasy.net

Thanks Adam. The status page said the Los Angeles maintenance was unresolved so I thought it might be the cause of my problem. I'll be calling support and hopefully they can figure out what's wrong.

gjgfjfgj

@speakeasy.net
reply to gjgfjfgj

Everything on my end is working fine unless all of my equipment has suddenly gone bad all at once.

Computer: All three computers exhibit this behavior.
Wireless Router: Bypassed.
Network Cables: All of my cables exhibit this behavior.
DSL Modem: Both of my modems exhibit this behavior.
Telephone Line: Noise margin is a steady 20.
DSLAM: ?
Backhaul: ?

The first hop has really gone to hell. After the first hop, everything is fine. I've contacted support and they gave me the standard we don't guarantee latency speech and then said they would look into it.

adamA6
Adam Alexander

Seattle, WA

I'll look into it too if you can supply me with your account details. I'm curious to see what changes may have occurred resulting in this increased first hop ping.

Thanks,
--
Adam Alexander
Speakeasy

gjgfjfgj

join:2006-04-07
Tucson, AZ

1 edit
reply to gjgfjfgj

Registered.

Line Quality Test Says High Latency and No Packet Loss
»/quality/nil/2018220

Thanks, Adam.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

1 edit

What's your ip?

I am getting the following from lax.speakeasy.net:

24 packets transmitted, 24 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/std-dev = 55.093/56.225/58.392/0.840 ms

From Florida.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to gjgfjfgj

Looks like hte line may be in Interleaved mode by the CLEC...

gjgfjfgj

Tucson, AZ

said by CylonRed:

Looks like hte line may be in Interleaved mode by the CLEC...
According to my "smart" modem, my line's not interleaved. There's no reason for it to be interleaved as the noise margins are a steady 20.

Anyway, it looks to be returning to normal. I was just seeing 50 ms and now 35 ms. I think it's fixed. Thanks everyone.

adamA6
Adam Alexander

Seattle, WA

Sounds like it's fixed now, great news. Let me know if anything out of the ordinary crops up again.

I had our vendor reprovision your circuit. It appears that due to the OC3 -> OC3 augmentation earlier in the week, your circuit was taking a less than efficient route through their ATM network.

We've re-established a better route, one that's performing to optimum specifications, and I'm hopeful that things are on the regular level now!

Thanks,
--
Adam Alexander
Speakeasy

gjgfjfgj

Tucson, AZ

said by adamA6:

Let me know if anything out of the ordinary crops up again.
Covad reprovisoned the circuit because we couldn't figure out why I was losing sync and my first hop latency got doubled in the process. Nevertheless, the loss of sync should be resolved first and it looks like it will be soon.

My frequent loss of sync is being and should continue to be discussed in »Broadjunk Keeps Dropping. Please excuse the technically incorrect title. All of the modems I have tried "keep dropping".