spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Leem
join:2003-11-01
Nanticoke, PA

Leem

Need information about our modem

I thought we had a 2200 or we do...I checked and here's the details.

Westell Wirespeed
C90-36R516-01
Rev: J

I mean, its an old modem could possibly have some issues with the disconnect/lease issue. Would it be wise for us to actually upgrade to the latest model? Our router is pretty new, thats a linksys wireless-g
JohnA4
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

JohnA4

Premium Member

The C90-36R516-01 is a bridge only modem. Being a modem only, they usually either work, or don't. You can get limited stats from them by running the Diagnostic Icon program on them. You can get it at www.westell.com, technical support, manufacture discontinued, 36R516-01, Diagnostic Utility > Available. Download, unzip and install it. Run it from Start > Programs > Westell. It will bring up an Admin Tab. Hit Ctrl+Alt+F7 to expose the hidden tabs.

Leem
Nanticoke, PA

Leem

Okay, thanks. I've got it and it works. Posting relevant information shortly
Leem

Leem

Transceiver Version: Alcatel Frmwr VER:3.8.1

DSL

DSL Upstream speed (Kbits/Sec) 864
DSL Downstream speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360

Noise Margin Upstream (dB) 11
Noise Margine Downstream (dB) 14.5 to 15.5 (fluctuates)

Line Attenuation Upstream (dBm) 29.0
Line Attenuation Downstream (dBm) 41.5

Transmit Power Upstream (dB) 12.0
Transmit Power Downstream (dB) 20.0

Error Counters at current

FEC Errors 3
CRC Errors 1
HEC Errors 1

This current information useful for my disconnect problem? I'll run the same test when I start to D/C and repost.
JohnA4
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

JohnA4

Premium Member

No, but it shows that the modem is working, provisioned at 3.0/768, with acceptable margins. The power levels look high, but that may just be a function of it running Alcatel firmware, and the way it reports the power spec. Do the logs available show any of the disconnects, and if they do, are they PADT (ordered down) disconnects? Does it show lease length, and if the disconnects are occurring in the last 1/8th of the lease time?

Leem
Nanticoke, PA

Leem

I checked the logs, doesn't seem to be creating any even though the relevant checks in the diagnostics are ticked, does the modem have to be directly connected to my computer to produce the logs? If so, that could be a problem since there's several other people in our household that use/need the internet.

Other information, not sure if this is useful or not. This information directly from ipconfig /all

Netgear Gigabit GA311 NIC
DNS Servers 71.250.x.x
DNS Servers 151.197.x.x
Lease Obtained Monday, April 10, 2006 3:38:50PM
Lease Expires Tuesday, April 11, 2006 3:38:50PM

The lease time is good, if it actually 'worked' like that

However, each time we get a Disconnect its always on a 70.x.x.x block, and its always at random times during the day, and guaranteed at least once between midnight and 6am for anything between 5 and 10 minutes outage. However, the strange part is when we are on the 151.x.x.x block we don't have any disconnects until it shunts us back onto a 70x then bam, all the problems start happening.
JohnA4
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

JohnA4

Premium Member

said by Leem:

does the modem have to be directly connected to my computer to produce the logs?
No, the logs would be built and contained in the modem. 24 hours is a decent lease time, no explanation for disconnects there.

Leem
Nanticoke, PA

Leem

We suffered another D/C again, now our lease has changed from the old lease which was

Lease Obtained Monday, April 10, 2006 3:38:50PM
Lease Expires Tuesday, April 11, 2006 3:38:50PM

now it states

Lease Obtained Obtained, April 11, 2006 3:38:50AM
Lease Expires Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:38:50AM

Something doesn't add up, because that was the exact time we suffered the D/C
JohnA4
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

JohnA4

Premium Member

That's the correct time for the lease to renew. The first time the router will try to renew the lease is at it's half way point. If it's successful, your 24 hour lease will actually renew every 12 hours.

That is no cause for a disconnect. Did your IP change with the lease? If the server is forcing an IP change with the lease renewal (stripping the IP), it could be causing the disconnects.

Leem
Nanticoke, PA

Leem

Yes, IP changes everytime I get the d/c
JohnA4
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

JohnA4

Premium Member

Which suggests that it's possible that the problem is that the authentication server is forcing an IP change, rather than just renewing the IP that you have.

Everyone that is having these disconnects, as a group, seems to be in the areas where the old IP blocks are still being used (68, 141, 151.x.x.x ...) or (NY, NJ, east PA ....)

The confusing part is that some are seeing these disconnects in clusters, some all day long. There are also lots of people having serious throughput issues in the same areas. I'm not suggesting anything in particular, just thinking out loud, rather hoping that one of our members with Verizon network experience will put it together; have the "light go on ", so to speak. Seems to be multiple, different issues to me.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

said by JohnA4:

The confusing part is that some are seeing these disconnects in clusters, some all day long. There are also lots of people having serious throughput issues in the same areas. I'm not suggesting anything in particular, just thinking out loud, rather hoping that one of our members with Verizon network experience will put it together; have the "light go on ", so to speak. Seems to be multiple, different issues to me.
I really wish I could get a hold of someone that works in my CO that would be willing to tell me what "upgrades" they were performing when my troubles started. I may not understand it, but I'm sure someone here would.
mauroj
Premium Member
join:2005-08-27
Dunellen, NJ

mauroj to JohnA4

Premium Member

to JohnA4
>Everyone that is having these disconnects, as a group, seems to be in the
> areas where the old IP blocks are still being used (68, 141, 151.x.x.x ...)
>or (NY, NJ, east PA ....)

In my continuing disconnect saga, I see some IP address assignment
strangeness. Typically, I get a 70.X.X.X address, but sometimes following
a disconnect I end up with a 141.X.X.X address.

I'm not sure what to make of all that, but there's little doubt in my mind
that Verizon is too busy counting the money they're making from DSL
subscribers to bother with monitoring capacity and load, and investing
in sufficient infrastructure to support their customer base.

The problem is, there's no one else to go to. Friends and neighbors in the
area tell me Optimum Online sucks also.

/jim