Marianos to dsilvers

Anon

to dsilvers

Re: verclsid.exe

OK people!
I´m not a newbie to computers and I had a lot of problems
since the update KB908531. In my opinion this update
means well but do it in wrong way. I mean it takes to much
time and resources to run - some application hang and die.
Do what I did, uninstall update KB908531 and delete any traces of it, run MS updates manually (do not forget to stop the automatic update service, or the problem will come back!)then hide update in the tree and forget it. In some time Redmond will notice the problem and fix it, but do not expect it too soon - they are working on the next Windows version...... There are other solutions to the problem but this is the fast one.
PS: I´m not a member of this forum, neither of any other but I wanted to help with this irritating bug and searched myself the Net for some suggestions. Live well and prosperous!!!

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt to Arkszap

Premium Member

to Arkszap
said by Arkszap:

I think the only practical solution for average people not having an Image making program like Acronis or rollbackRx
would be to make a System Restore to a previous available date
Actually, I suspect that for many people, at least those with problems from verclsid.exe, uninstalling the problem update will do the trick, even if they don't rollback. Those having problems who don't have the old HP or nVidia software seem to be having problems when verclsid jumps in when they are attempting to open programs/files, so uninstalling the update (and the verclsid.exe it carried) should help.

I never did hear back from the MS guy whether the fix he sent me (posted above; the registry tweak) was only for those with HP/nVidia-related problems or for all the others with other problems with that update. MS seems to still be focusing only on the subset having issues because of HP/nVidia incompatibilities.

Jaybone
@verizon.net

Jaybone to hpguru

Anon

to hpguru
This is a legit file, however, it seems that there is will be a better solution coming... i renamed the file verclsid.exe to verclsid.old and everything is fine. I will wait until MS figures this mess out - I had over 20 running on my machine at one time...

SpannerITWks
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22

SpannerITWks to dsilvers

Premium Member

to dsilvers
I heard that MS are issuing an outa the normal loop, Refix this coming Tuesday, Hope it works 4 ya ALL !

Spanner

msucks
@shawcable.net

msucks to altermatt

Anon

to altermatt
You can remove verclsid.exe it is part of the ms update 908531 released on the 10th.
Go to add/remove programs, click show updates then remove 908531 in the list, it will stop your freezes and hangups.

CJ55378008
@comcast.net

CJ55378008 to dsilvers

Anon

to dsilvers
I'm glad I found this thread. I started having problems as soon as the last security update went through from windows. I've noticed that verclsid.exe is running like 20 times on my machine and probably zapping 3000K in Mem. It hangs my internet explorer as well as other programs. I zapped cache and history and deleted the program and it seemed to be the solution. Now, I see I have it back after autodownloading another security update the other day. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't crazy. Why would MS include a program in their update that screws everything? Has anyone figured out why some people have a problem and some do not? Is there any work around to this problem?
-Cj
rdhw
join:2002-09-21
Cambridge UK

1 edit

1 recommendation

rdhw to dsilvers

to dsilvers
The "April 25th" revised version of critical update MS06-15 is now available from Windows Update, and will also be distributed by Windows Automatic Update. It might take many days before any given PC performs its Windows Automatic Update, so those affected might like to do a manual Windows Update. This revised version will install only if the PC has HP Share-to-Web installed, or has nVidia video driver version in the range 60.00 to 64.99, or if MS06-15 is not yet installed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165/en-us

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-015.mspx

cadet502
@fuse.net

cadet502

Anon

Has anyone tried the revision. I had problems with the first version, and renamed the file.

Should I rename it back before I try the revised update?

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

Sparrow

Premium Member

said by cadet502 :

Has anyone tried the revision. I had problems with the first version, and renamed the file.

Should I rename it back before I try the revised update?
Hello cadet502,
When I spoke with MS tech support in the very beginning of this fiasco, I was told to leave the file as verclsid.old and the update will take care of the rest. There is no need to rename the file.

I still have not run WindowsUpdate for the new fix, since updating my NVIDIA driver solved the problem on my PC. This time I am going to be a sheep and wait a few days for more opinions.
STR88
join:2006-04-27
USA

STR88 to dsilvers

to dsilvers
Here is some research done on this verclsid.exe

Verclsid.exe Details:
Verclsid.exe is used to verify a COM object before it is instantiated by Windows Explorer...it's a new file, and was included in a recent "service pack" and is now the cause of a critical update needed for nearly every machine on the planet.

Verclsid.exe Breakdown:
MS pushed the file a part of a patch. That patch now needs a patch due to this item. MS has pushed it out - results vary.

This is a fix that has worked:
On XP OS(s) -
1) go to C:\WINDOWS\System32
2) Create a folder (recommend calling it VERCLSID_OLD in case you need to find the original later)
3) Browse the System32 directory, remove the verclsid.exe from System32 and put it into the new folder
4) Rename the verclsid.exe to verclsid.old and leave it there.

On PreXP OS(s)
1) go to C:\WINNT\System32
2) Create a folder (recommend calling it VERCLSID_OLD in case you need to find the original later)
3) Browse the System32 directory, remove the verclsid.exe from System32 and put it into the new folder
4) Rename the verclsid.exe to verclsid.old and leave it there.

Office an other applications will run smoothly as a result.
More information can be provided if need be - best of luck I.T. people.

Here's some links to other references:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms06-015.mspx
http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletins/q-172.shtml (same info as above)

Forum information:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=726067
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...ilite=verclsid
crashnburn4u
join:2005-08-04
Houston, TX

crashnburn4u to Sparrow

to Sparrow
This is a dell laptop. NO HP Processes whatsoever.

I just renamed it. What is the real issue causing this?
rdhw
join:2002-09-21
Cambridge UK

rdhw

said by crashnburn4u:

There are also known problems with nVidia graphics drivers in the version range 60.00 to 64.99. Does this apply to your Dell laptop?

On April 25th, this update was re-released to fix the interactions with HP Share-to-Web and nVidia graphics drivers. Has your Dell laptop yet installed the April 25th revision of this update?

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to crashnburn4u

Premium Member

to crashnburn4u
said by crashnburn4u:

I just renamed it. What is the real issue causing this?
If you read the thread, you will see it's not ONLY people with HP software having the problem, that's just one of a number of things that was affected.

Are you having an issue? If so, apply the updated patch. If you are NOT having any issues, you don't need to do anything.

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

antiserious to Sparrow

Premium Member

to Sparrow
said by Sparrow:

I still have not run WindowsUpdate for the new fix, since updating my NVIDIA driver solved the problem on my PC. This time I am going to be a sheep and wait a few days for more opinions.

... neither have I, and after a lot of reading I still don't know exactly what verclsid.exe does and why it's needed ... I re-named it, and at this time I have NO intention of playing around with the MS 'patch patch' until I see a compelling explanation (and MS almost never gives adequate explanations for patches, let alone compelling ones) ...

... I'd be happy to reconsider if I thought I actually needed whatever it was supposed to do ...

... f w i w ...