spc
Search similar:

uniqs
maximusqb
join:2005-02-21

maximusqb to jabarnut

to jabarnut

Re: verclsid.exe

Well i just unistalled HP share-to-web program fromt he control panel add/remove and installed all the patches again. And guess what I have success. The problems I had with programs hanging is now gone I can't believe it. This is really weird stuff.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

Weird stuff indeed.

While it does appear that a lot of people are having a conflict caused by the HP Scanner Software or "Share to Web" (Which comes with HP Cameras and other hardware as well I think), it seems there are a growing number that have problems without any HP Software installed.

The fact that all is well with you now though, after removing the Share to Web Software, may provide a hint somewhere for the great minds who are looking for a fix.....perhaps not.

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

antiserious to dsilvers

Premium Member

to dsilvers

... I have zero HP stuff ... but I did snag all the updates manually from Technet, so tomorrow I may just uninstall the offender and re-install anything it breaks (it would appear that KB908531 is the main source of trouble, is that correct?) ...

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

From what I've seen around so far, it does appear that KB908531 is causing the major problems (associated with verclsid.exe.)
Although I'm not entirely sure that's the only problem

More on that update in this previous post and the included link.

»verclsid.exe

LoPhatPhuud
MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM

1 edit

LoPhatPhuud to dsilvers

MVM

to dsilvers
I was having problems with the patch too, so I rmeove it and everything is ok so far. Microsoft Update only shows the one missing.

The issue I had:
Open My COmputer
Open any drive (I used D:)
Open any folder
Pick any file click on Copy or Move in the Files/Folders Task panel on the left. My sysyem hung there.

The right click context menu is slow in opening and if I select Copy to oe Move to (an extension I added) I get the same problem.

lpp

Edit: I too have read about HP Share-to-Web as a possible cause. I do have it installed! More to play with.

caesarv
join:1999-08-02
Santa Rosa, CA

caesarv to dsilvers

to dsilvers
One symptom that nobody else has mentioned is that this update has broken my ability to compile a specific VB6 program...and on several different computers. I get a "can't find project or library" error. Removing the ...8531 update and the two associated with it, makes it work again.

When I first checked google on Wednesday for "verclsid" I found ZERO hits! This morning there was one (from MS.) Tonight, there are 50. By Monday, I expect 1000.

IlyichSPB
@83.68.x.x

IlyichSPB to dsilvers

Anon

to dsilvers
Hi!
renaming verclsid.exe works
thank you guys!
will wait for a fixed update

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

1 recommendation

Sparrow to auggy

Premium Member

to auggy

Excellent discovery, Auggy!!

said by auggy:

For anyone having a problem right-clicking the Desktop and having verclsid.exe running in Task Manager and then having the lock-up, there may be a conflict with a Desktop Context Menu Extension.

Consider using ShellExView to disable "nView Desktop Context Menu" or any any other nVidia or similar context menu extension and see if the issue resolves.

For anyone having similar problems, consider taking a look at your "third party" context menu handlers:

»windowsxp.mvps.org/slowr ··· lick.htm
Auggy, I ran ShellExView, disabled the "nView Desktop Context Menu", renamed verclsid.old back to verclsid.exe, and it now runs and exists as it should with absolutely no hanging or lag.

Let's see if this helps anyone else who took the rename route on the verclsid.exe.

Thank you, auggy See Profile.
Fredra
Undesirable Alien
join:2000-04-08
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

Fredra

Hi Crystal Sky
That is some good news, and I am glad it is now working for you.
I do not have any "Nvidia" cards or shell, however, his logic does make sense, and it is worth looking into.
Thanks for letting us know.
Cheers

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy to dsilvers

Mod

to dsilvers

Besides the problem with the "nView Desktop Context Menu" many users with HP software installed are having problems with this update.

Rather than uninstalling the HP software or the update consider the registry fix posted under "Option 1 - Modify the registry" in the following link which has worked for users with the same problem (back-up the registry first):

»groups.google.com/group/ ··· 2d0c3ca2

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

antiserious to dsilvers

Premium Member

to dsilvers

... I still haven't uninstalled yet, but I did find my 'switch user' problem was caused by 'Terminal Services' being shut off by one of the updates ... last set of updates MS found it necessary to turn their firewall back on (as if I need it, and of course without asking or notifying me) ...

... is there really no other, better way to do this stuff ? ... I keep thinking about the poor schlubs that have no clue what's going on in their boxes, with 'Automatic Updates' turned on, that wake up one day and their rig's hosed - how on Earth do they figure out what happened, and recover ? ...
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to auggy

Premium Member

to auggy
I haven't installed any of the updates released Tuesday on our XP computer. Should I just avoid installing KB908531? I also use switch user and antiserious is having a problem with that...he hasn't posted back yet if he found what caused the problem.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra
Fredra
Undesirable Alien
join:2000-04-08
Nepean, ON

1 edit

Fredra to auggy

to auggy
Hi auggy
Thanks for that posting link.
Option #2
I decided to do Option #2 first(to see if it works)
-deleted ALL the HP related stuff(more than what was mentined)
-renamed the verclsid
Things appeared to function properly.
What I am not sure about is exactly what does the registry change accomplish.
I will backup the registry, then do the change, then report back.
Thanks again auggy, much appreciated.
Edit
UPDATE
I backed up the registry and did the change, in the registry, as suggested in that link (as supplied by auggy..thanks auggy)
Rebooted and the specific problems I was having are now working properly, with NO repeated instances of "verclsid".

Cheers
HMS1
join:2006-01-14
Austin, TX

HMS1 to dsilvers

to dsilvers
From the description, »www.microsoft.com/techne ··· 015.mspx , it appears that anyone who keeps the webdav client turned off and blocks MS networking ports at the firewall can do without ms06-015 and be fine, at least until the kinks are worked out.

If anyone disagrees, please post in case there's something I missed.

Tolzer
@t-dialin.net

Tolzer

Anon

Security Update MS06-015 breaks Windows Explorer functionality

The Update for this issue installs a new file called 'Verclsid.exe'.
Verclsid.exe is used to verify a COM object before it is instantiated by
Windows Explorer.

However, Verclsid.exe also breaks some fuctionality in Windows explorer.
This program does not run always, but when it is running you are unable to
expand folders in the Windows explorer tree view. When you click on the plus
sign next to a folder in the tree view; the busy cursor appears, but the
folder never expands. However, if you kill the Verclsid.exe application with
Task Manager, the folder(s) you've tried to expand will immediately do so the
instant Verclsid.exe stops running. And when it is not running, Explorer
expands folders normally.

Verclsid.exe appears to break even more functionality in both Windows
Explorer and Internet Explorer. In Windows Explorer, I've had the send to
menu completely stop working while Verclsid.exe is running, but it works fine
the instant Verclsid.exe is killed. And in Internet Explorer, the address
bar stops working. You can type an address into it and press enter, but IE
won't navigate to the entered page until you kill Verclsid.exe. Once it is
not running
everything works just fine.

I would suggest the following:

1. Uninstall the KB908531 update and reboot your PC.
2. Perform a Disk Cleanup.
3. Perform a Checkdisk (error-checking).
4. Download and install the update manually, then reboot.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)
»www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· ylang=en

Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
»support.microsoft.com/de ··· ct=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
»support.microsoft.com/de ··· ct=winxp

ilovemicrosoft
@bbtnet.com

ilovemicrosoft to dsilvers

Anon

to dsilvers
wow doesn't it seem like MS would have tested and found these problems before putting this update out there? It seems like this one is conflicting with the general functionality of windows (explorer.exe). What were they thinking?
maximusqb
join:2005-02-21

maximusqb

I recieved this reply from microsoft:

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. I assure you that I will work with you until this issue has been resolved.

Suggestions
=============

We have received similar feedback from our customers who encounter various issue after installing this update. Please be assured that high priority updates have been strictly tested and can improve the computers' performance, protect the computer from being attacked and add new features to the syst
em.

At this point, I suggest you not install this update at present. This issue can be resolved in the next release.

If you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.
S_Moneh
join:2006-04-14

S_Moneh to jabarnut

to jabarnut
hey guys i tried deleted that hp share to web program and i did, but when i restarted the computer as it asked me to, my computer had experienced major lag it took 3 min to upload this page to just write this down, and i was just wondering what can i do to get that lag off or at least minimize it to the least because right now i cant do anything so please if anybody knows a solution for this please post here i would really appreciate it, thank you
S_Moneh

S_Moneh to dsilvers

to dsilvers
yea ok enough of this, i cant handle it, please somebody tell me how to delete this update i dont want to deal w/ this anymore i'll wait till the next update coems along

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

2 edits

1 recommendation

Sparrow

Premium Member

The easiest temporary solution is to rename the file from "verclsid.exe" to "verclsid.old" as mentioned back here: »verclsid.exe

EDIT to add: »www.crn.com/sections/bre ··· 85302749
--
"Be simple, be earnest and spread that simplicity throughout everything you do."

Tolzer
@t-dialin.net

Tolzer to dsilvers

Anon

to dsilvers
End the process by following these steps:
1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete
2. Select Task Manager
3. Select the Processes tab
4. Look for file "verclsid.exe"
5. Highlight the file name and select End Process (note that there may be multiple instances of the file running)

Delete the file by following these steps:
1. Double-click My Computer on the Desktop
2. Double-click on the C: drive
3. Open the WINDOWS folder
4. Open system32 folder
5. Highlight file “ verclsid.exe ” (files listed alphabetically)
6. Right-click and select Delete
As a reminder, back up your data regularly to avoid loss of important information on your workstation.

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

1 recommendation

altermatt to Tolzer

Premium Member

to Tolzer
said by Tolzer :

I would suggest the following:

1. Uninstall the KB908531 update and reboot your PC.
4. Download and install the update manually, then reboot.
I don't understand. Why would someone re-install the identical patch they just uninstalled? Wouldn't that re-introduce the problems?

Ladydee
@ameritech.net

Ladydee to Sparrow

Anon

to Sparrow
Can you help me solve my issue? I have been using Photo Story for Windows, and suddenly it kept freezing and I couldn't import my pictures. I took a look at the task manager and saw verclsid.exe. I knew I had not seen it there before so I ended it. Voila! Photo Story was allowed to browse for pictures again.

Tolzer
@t-dialin.net

Tolzer to altermatt

Anon

to altermatt
My bad.....sorry...

Just do this....

End the process by following these steps:
1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete
2. Select Task Manager
3. Select the Processes tab
4. Look for file "verclsid.exe"
5. Highlight the file name and select End Process (note that there may be multiple instances of the file running)

Delete the file by following these steps:
1. Double-click My Computer on the Desktop
2. Double-click on the C: drive
3. Open the WINDOWS folder
4. Open system32 folder
5. Highlight file “ verclsid.exe ” (files listed alphabetically)
6. Right-click and select Delete
As a reminder, back up your data regularly to avoid loss of important information on your workstation.
Tolzer

Tolzer

Anon

Check out what CNET is saying...

»news.com.com/5208-1002-0 ··· art=-190

"IE Host Containers and JRE 1.5 Broken
Reader post by: GarageOwl
Posted on: April 15, 2006, 9:48 AM PDT
Story: Company warns on IE patch
They said that Applets that use JRE 1.5 aren't affected, it's wrong. Only cached applets still work. If the applet changes it doesn't work anymore. Also my Custom ActiveX IE 6.0 host Containers are now broken. They lockup in release mode, debug works. Microsoft is trying to destabilized everyone's machines to force the Vista upgrade. This is the biggest misstep I have ever seen! They are going to drive all the corporate users to Firefox. How many .NET apps have you seen? If they can make exceptions for certain ActiveX Controls like the Flash Plug-in, I would call that a bias, and they are picking favorites. It's obvious they're trying to stop the momentum of Java in the Enterprise."
HMS1
join:2006-01-14
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

HMS1

said by Tolzer :

Check out what CNET is saying...

Tolzer, that's not Cnet editorializing, that's a reader posting a reply to an article on Cnet. Cnet itself is pro-Microsoft.

All: This patch doesn't interfere with Java unless Java is being used in the browser with Active X, correct? If so, it's doing little against "Java in the enterprise" which includes server-side applications, desktop apps and more.

On the other hand I do have to wonder whether Microsoft is gradually "breaking" Windows XP/2000 in the pretext of security, to motivate Vista uptake. This is not "tin foil hat" stuff - it's entirely consistent with Microsoft's whole history of conduct, and the whole Vista push is looking problematic for MS.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

1 edit

2 recommendations

auggy to dsilvers

Mod

to dsilvers
There is now a Microsoft Knowledge Base article on the problem with the VERCLSID.EXE of KB908531 (MS06-015):

»KB908531 Causing Problems in Windows Explorer/Shell

Aliens
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
space-time

1 edit

Aliens to dsilvers

Premium Member

to dsilvers

Bad hardware vendor software

More cr**py software from hardware vendors. I can't even count the number of times software from Intel, HP, 3Com, etc. has K.O'ed one of my computers over the last 11 years. It usually comes down to software from hardware vendors taking shortcuts that it shouldn't be with the API's, and they get tagged when an OS upgrade or change like this happens. Hardware vendors should stick to making hardware!

LoPhatPhuud
MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM

1 recommendation

LoPhatPhuud to dsilvers

MVM

to dsilvers

The KB908531 patch is needed, but if you experience the problems then here is the MS fix. Sooner or later a new pathc will be released.

I got hit with it, and plan to install the patch tomorrow and the fix as well.

»support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

John 3-16
@fastfreedom.net

John 3-16 to jabarnut

Anon

to jabarnut
Apparently the 3 updates are combined into 1. Because when I uninstalled KB908531, got the same thing. I went ahead and uninstalled all 3. Then things were just fine. I could enter an Addy again in ie address bar, when I went to move an icon on my desktop it would freeze, Word 200e worked fine. Only other way to free it up was To close the exe file on the task manager, process window.After i uninstalled it, then I went back to ms update site and went to update manually, and the only thing that came up that I was missing was update KB908531. Also i disabled the auto update until they get rid of that patch. I'll just check manually every Friday till it's resolved.