Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Replacement for Real Player

Can anyone recommend a good substitute Real Player? Real Player drives my firewall nuts with it's spyware ways.

»grc.com/downloaders.htm

HaYwIrE2
Politically Incorrect
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Liberal Hell
Know idea what else plays real media files other than RealPlayer, but what do you mean spyware? I've been using RealPlayer PLUS for years and have no problem with any type of spyware at all.
--
But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
join:2000-09-21
Toronto, ON
reply to Grumpy
When you install Real Player, uncheck all the options that it has for news updates and if you want the player to contact Real.com and everything else that is not related to playing a file. Also if you are using a software firewall, you can use that to control how RP accesses the internet.
--

What? Me worry?

limeygit
Everybody Wang-Chung Tonight

join:2001-02-17
Nearest Bar
reply to HaYwIrE2
There is a big difference between Real Player Basic and Plus
If you can find a way to get your hands on Plus it is the way to go. Otherwise take Ariana's advice and you can tame Real Player.
--
www.indiemonkey.com

Taking you to Funky Town since 1999!

Grumpy
Premium
NW CT
reply to Grumpy
I downloaded the recent freebie Real Player, and I thought I had all the gobble-dee gook unchecked, but the next thing I knew, I had a copy of spyware Comet Cursors in my face. When I use Windows Media player, my firewall sleeps, but when I use Real Player freebie, my firewall goes koo koo. Maybe I'll chip the cobwebs off my wallet and get the $ version of Real Player. I like the software, I just don't like building demographics for the Real Player folks.

FastEddie
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-13
join:2000-12-29
Channel Z
kudos:6
That's the reason you won't find Real Player on my computer. The program tends to take everything over. I haven't tried the Plus version. Maybe I will one of these days.
--
I'm shootin' pool, Fats. When I miss, you can shoot.

head_spaz
Byte-Me

join:2001-01-29
Searcy, AR

That's the reason you won't find Real Player.....

Yeah... what he said!
Exactimo!!!

Bobb5
Premium
join:2001-02-16
Kent, WA
Realnetworks products have always been classed as Spyware!
With such crappy products, How else do you think they managed to stay around? Picture quality when watching high bandwith video off the net isin't even close to Win Media Player. If a loser site uses only Realplayer garbage, I don't use that site.
--
Have you hugged your Glock today?

limeygit
Everybody Wang-Chung Tonight

join:2001-02-17
Nearest Bar
Not if the site owner knows what he is doing. I can get almost identical picture/sound quality from a 40 meg .avi into a 6 meg .rm. Which is a lot easier on server space and bandwidth usage.
--
www.indiemonkey.com

Taking you to Funky Town since 1999!

Grumpy
Premium
NW CT
reply to Grumpy

Re: Replacement for Real Player

Are there any other players besides Real for ra or ram's, or whatever that r extension is?

Dr Bombay
Premium
join:2000-06-02
try Streambox Ripper.. not only can it play rm files it can convert them into mp3's

»www.sonicspot.com/streamboxrippe ··· per.html

Violet1966
Carpe Diem

join:2001-02-01
reply to Grumpy
i don't use real player anymore. anything that's in real player format i just live without. now the new version has integrated real jukebox right? can they make this program any more bloated?? LOL i'll pass
--
Liberty or death, what we so proudly hail..once you provoke her, rattling of her tail...never begins it, never, but once engaged...
never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage...don't tread on me

Grumpy
Premium
NW CT
reply to Grumpy
Thanks Doc. I think I got a copy just in time. They're hard to find. Nice lean little app.

slash
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-01
Boston
reply to Grumpy
No real player replacement exists to play real files since they own the codecs.
--
»www.geocities.com/slashdot14

The Cable Guy
Up..Up..And Awaayyy

join:2001-07-10
Morgantown, WV
reply to Grumpy
I hate Realplayer. Everytime i install it, it fills my taskbar with all these stupid programs. And yes, i did uncheck all the boxes during installation. You end up getting like 3 or 4 extra programs when you just want RealPlayer. They need a good kick in the butt for doing that.