Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NateCohen

join:2005-10-10
Schenectady, NY

1 edit

DI-604 Problems

Hello, I've had a D-Link 604 router now for over 2 years. When I first had Road Runner with my normal Tobisha modem, the router worked flawlessly. Then when I switched to the Time Warner All in One package, I was getting many disconnects, sometimes it would tell me the network cable has been disconnected, and then come back on 30 seconds later, or the internet would just stop working, and I would need to reset the router to gain internet access back.

I then discontinued the Digital Phone service, so I was given a small RCA cable modem for my Road Runner, after I got this modem everything seemed to work fine, I never had any disconnects.

I now am using DSL, and once again I am having the same problems I witnessed when I had the Digital Phone modem. I have my firmware up-to-date and my router is...

D-Link 604 H/W: C1 F/W: 2.03

Could this be a bad router problem? And if it is, what do you think would be a good router? I use torrents a lot so I would need a router that can handle torrent download speed and Xbox Live. Thanks in advance.

EOMbb

join:2004-03-25
San Francisco, CA

1 recommendation

I can tell you, unequivocally, that the DI-604 Rev.E, with Firmware 3.51, will perform perfectly for everything you mention.

I don't have experience with the Rev.C hardware that you have. It's very likely that many issues in that version have been resolved.

Good luck.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to NateCohen
D-Link DI-604 [H/W Ver.:E3 F/W Ver.:3.51]

Very stable router!

Kringle
Dr.D
Premium
join:2004-02-27
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:3
reply to NateCohen
Since you have a Rev. C 604, this thread (»DI-604 problems) might be of some interest to you. You seem to be experiencing the same overheating problems that are addressed there.

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-12
Universe
kudos:2
reply to NateCohen
The latest firmware I can find for the DI-604 Version C is 2.20,here »support.dlink.ca/ProductView.asp···firmware
--
I'm just a Material Handling Tech.If it's too heavy,get a Forklift.

supportd00d

join:2005-11-21
Northvale, NJ
reply to EOMbb
said by EOMbb:

I can tell you, unequivocally, that the DI-604 Rev.E, with Firmware 3.51, will perform perfectly for everything you mention.
Where can I get Firmware 3.51 (or latest) for DI-604 Rev.E??

This page ...

»support.dlink.com/products/view.···4%5FrevE

... has nothing that I could see except the FAQ which gives advice which leads back to the same page.

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium,MVM
Universe
DI-604 Version E
»support.dlink.ca/ProductView.asp···firmware
--
I'm just a Material Handling Tech.If it's too heavy,get a Forklift.

supportd00d

Northvale, NJ
Thanks for the prompt reply. Crazy that we have to go to Canada for support !!!

And unfortunately it didn't fix my problem.

I'm still hoping that tech support at DLink will come up with a good answer (but I'm not holding my breath !!). If they don't I'll guess I'll be back for more advice !!

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium,MVM
Universe
What exactly is your problem?

supportd00d

Northvale, NJ
OK, since you asked so nicely !!

I'm trying to Remote Desktop in to my computer at home, from work.

Both machines are Win XP Pro, and when I remove the router and connect my home computer directly to the cable modem (optimumonline) everything works exactly as expected.

When the DI-604 is in the middle, it doesn't work.

I followed the instructions at »support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1324 to add "Virtual Server" port forwarding for 3389.

I have set a firewall rule :-

Allow My_Work WAN,xx.xx.xx.xx LAN,* IP (0),*

where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address I an trying to connect from.

Just for fun (!!) I temporarily set the firewall rule to "deny" and I can see entries in the logs that show the connection attempts are getting as far as the router.

But whatever I try with the router in there, attempting to Remote Desktop in results in a timeout.

The next thing I was going to try was setting up netcat to listen on port 3389 to see if anything is getting to my home computer.

Unless you have better ideas !!

supportd00d

Northvale, NJ
I got a reply from DLink tech support. It said what I thought it would. It told me to do the steps that I told then quite clearly that I had already done !!!

So I went back to square 1. I reset the router back to factory defaults.

AND IT WORKED !!!

For a while I thought it was the fact that I had changed my internal network to 10.10.1.XXX instead of the default 192.168.0.XXX, but when I changed my net back to 10.10.1.XXX it still worked!!!

So I don't know what crud resetting the router cleared out that a firmware update didn't, and I'm almost 100% certain that I wasn't doing anything differently before, but its working now

black flag
Home Is Where The Broadband Is

join:2002-11-17
Chicago, IL
said by supportd00d:

So I went back to square 1. I reset the router back to factory defaults.

AND IT WORKED !!!
That's a fairly common issue.

Kringle
Dr.D
Premium
join:2004-02-27
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:3
reply to supportd00d
said by supportd00d:
So I don't know what crud resetting the router cleared out that a firmware update didn't, and I'm almost 100% certain that I wasn't doing anything differently before, but its working now

... and nobody believes me when I mention that the memory management in the DI-604 has problems such that some settings get overwritten when the log file gets too big causing unpredictable behaviour.

It only takes a couple of mouse clicks to clear the log manually and my settings have been stable for over a year now. Reboot my 604? Never.