how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LogRoller

join:2002-11-06
Sterling, VA

Covad changeover

I'm puzzled about my recent experience with the loss of MCI as a backbone provider in the NOVA area. I was getting 1.5/768 before with MCI, and then when they change over to Covad, using the same station, they say that those speeds are no longer possible. When I talked with SE tech support, they said that it was the quality of my copper wiring. SE downgraded my line, and started charging me $40/mo for a 768/128 line, which is exorbitant for this area.

My point is that the comment about my wiring was obviously not true, since I ran at 1.5/768 for several years without any issue. Do any of you, including Adam, have any insight as to why Covad would deem my line unworthy, whereas MCI was able to provide consistent quality for years in a row with the same exact infrastructure?

The upshot of this was that I am moving over to Verizon, and getting 1.5/378 for $30/mo. But I liked SE as a company, and I am puzzled and dismayed at these circumstances.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
I believe in a couple of areas the ILEC limits Covad to the 768 speed and I wonder if that is the issue here.
--
Brian

LogRoller

Sterling, VA
If that were the case, why would SE make claims about the quality of my line?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
It maybe that all of ther techs do nto know about the limitation or there was a decision not to say that since someone may take it that it is a SE limitation and get mad at them...

Understand - this is only a guess. Best thing to do is contect Adam and see what he says.
--
Brian

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN
reply to LogRoller
It could also be that you were installed into a Remote Terminal when you had MCI internet. If that is the case, then chances are you are now being routed directly to the Central Office.

Covad generally does not have access to the Remote Terminals that the phone company has out in the neighborhoods. If this is the case, then that would explain the drop in speed. You may have been able to get that speed while in a remote terminal, but if you are over 18k feet from the Central Office, then 768/128 is probably all your line is capable of.

This is all just my guess though...
--
Forget 'em, Support the Indies.
»www.ind-music.com

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to LogRoller
It's even less likely that MCI had access to a remote terminal if Covad doesn't. Verizon's not very big on RTs to begin with. Perhaps wiring differences in the CO pushed you out of the effective range for that service speed. Maybe the Covad cage is "futher away" than the MCI one or routes through more disturbers. Maybe the MCI DSLAM worked better on your type of line conditions.

Did they actually try to turn on your Covad service? If so I would have looked at the line quality data from the modem.
--
\\ROB - a part of the SCB local network

pingmenow

@uu.net
The MCI Network that your service was on was the Equipment that used to belong to Rhythms (competitor to Covad), MCI purchased Rhythms so they would have their very own wholly owned DSL Network, however due to the recent merger with Verizon it was decided that the Rhythms Network will be decomissioned, all Service Order Providers (Earthlink, Speakeasy, Cyberonic) that we used to work with were given service termination notices a long time ago. It is their obligation to find reliable service for their customers.

MCI has a company no longer has any services for DSL in a wholesale capacity. And by the end of the year all the equipment in the 700 of Rhythms Cages and POP's will be sold off or boxed up. If however you have the MCI Neighborhood DSL and you live in Verizon territory those circuits will be kept up until Verizon has capacity to migrate them to Verizon DSLAM's

This decision is mainly based on the fact that now MCI has merged with an ILEC and become Verizon Business, it doesn't make sense to compete with yourself for DSL customers and have two different groups managing the DSL Equipment and customers. The Rhythms network was always very solid we just had procedural difficulties. But honestly and I tell everyone this, if you must get DSL get it with the ILEC, they will be much more willing to help out their own customer than a Covad line anyday of the week. Trust me I dealt with ILEC Tech's on Rhythms all the time that would always say "No Trouble Found" and you've got a 28 Volt Battery on T-R staring at you in the face. Verizon was always good to work with, but jesus christ trying to get Ameritech (SBC now AT&T) to do anything was like pulling teeth.

The other fact was even though the Rhythms equipment was very reliable it was also end of life, meaning once we run out of replacement parts if anything breaks then you are SOL, especially those damn Siecor Splitter Card that merges your voice line and DSL in our Cage, Siecor went out of business and that means no more spare cards, when one blows up you lose your dial tone. Fun Stuff eh?

pingmenow

@uu.net
Also Covad is very by the book and this means that they might not even of tested your line, if you are X amount of feet away from the CO then you get Y Speed Profile. Unless they can give you proof, like the Covad cage is located in a different CO 5000 Feet away (highly unlikely) than they are just making that up, ask them to bump your speed up for the hell of it, tell them you are aware if it bounces you'll need to be downgraded, you just want to see what happens for testing purposes.

LogRoller

Sterling, VA
reply to LogRoller
Thanks for the responses guys. That helps to shed some light on things.

For the record, Adam contacted me as well, and is looking into the issue on his end. I've always found Speakeasy a good company to deal with, and their support has always been responsive and helpful. This was a big bump in the road for me, though.