Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fw

join:2005-09-18

1 edit

Possible to install BF2 on USB stick?

Hey,

Is it possible to install a modern game like Battlefield 2 on a USB stick (given enough space)? Or, does the game play too much with the registry and other crap?

My intention is to run the game on computers with same operating system (XP), that don't have the game installed.

Thanks

Loker
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Fargo, ND
yes it would work....but only on the computer you used to install it to the USB drive....the bonus is if it is solid state the game will load very fast!

fw

said by Loker:

yes it would work....but only on the computer you used to install it to the USB drive....the bonus is if it is solid state the game will load very fast!
So, in other words, it will NOT work for my intention ...

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3
reply to fw
No it won't, also it will be very slow, HD speed access times > USB

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
kudos:1
depends on the type of drive.

if it's a ram style drive it can be extremely fast(being there no spin up and seek time)

Samus82
Radly

join:2002-01-29
Alsip, IL
reply to fw
wrong... like he said
Hard disk>USB
plain and simple your hard disk spins up/seeks faster and has faster pipelines to your cpu then your USB does.
USB is max 480 mega bits per second HDD can go (read CAN) 1.5 Gb/s (Max). (WD Raptor X)

Normal hard drives do only do 300mb/ps yes that is less then usb. But when do you ever ever see that aped from usb. I have never seen 480 mb/ps from usb.. Ever.

And yes if you grab the registry files and the game on the USB you can play it anywhere after you put the registry files on the computer you are going to. If you could somehow figure out how to do that.
--
Opinion is just a word people hide behind to try and justify them believing stupid things. It sure is easy to believe in something completely and totally stupid, say it's your "Opinion" and then everyone has to respect it.

flashlites
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Trenton, NJ
reply to BonezX
said by BonezX:

depends on the type of drive.

if it's a ram style drive it can be extremely fast(being there no spin up and seek time)
You would think that is true, however the slowest hard drives have a higher through put then the fastest USB Flash drives. A very fast flash drive currently has a transfer rate speed of 25 MB/s. They also wright about the same speed. An average hard drive has a transfer rate of about 50 MB/s. A Raptor can reach 108 MB/s.

The "un powered" static state of the USB bus handicaps Flash drives. You can test this yourself by transferring data (I.E. from a CD-ROM drive) to both your 1GB flash drive, and the same amount to a folder on your hard drive.

Now, a RAM drive card (which is powered by the PCI bus) runs much faster, and can eclipse HDD speeds with 200 MB/s, and better, through put. They're expensive, and most don't hold their data after the power has been removed from the host machine.

Flash Drives are good enough for playing music or video files, and could very well load the game, but I doubt that the game would load faster then it would from your system hard drive.
--
Nope, it's just me.

Loker
Premium
Fargo, ND
reply to twizlar
yes it will be faster.....flash's sustained transfer rate maybe slower but since it has no seek time it does actually seem faster than an HDD when viewing lots of small files (which is exactly what happens when you play a gamesuch as BF2)

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO
Flash memory is very slow compared to a hard drive, you would be disappointed with the results of loading a game off of flash memory if you were looking for an improvement in performance.

Ask any experienced digital photographer which is faster.
--
"When you're an Anvil, hold you still;When you're a Hammer, strike your Fill." -- Benjamin Franklin

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
Aurora, CO
reply to fw
said by fw:

said by Loker:

Correct.
--
"When you're an Anvil, hold you still;When you're a Hammer, strike your Fill." -- Benjamin Franklin

Nagrom Nniuq

join:2002-11-19
Springfield, OR
reply to Loker
said by Loker:

yes it will be faster.....flash's sustained transfer rate maybe slower but since it has no seek time it does actually seem faster than an HDD when viewing lots of small files (which is exactly what happens when you play a gamesuch as BF2)
Except this has absolutely nothing at all to do with how fast flash memory is. All that matters is that it goes through a USB connection and therefore it doesn't matter if it is the fastest HD/Flash memory in existance it will still only go at 480Mbps (theoretically) but you will never get 480 Mbps it will be more like 300Mbps or less.

Loker
Premium
Fargo, ND
said by Nagrom Nniuq:

Except this has absolutely nothing at all to do with how fast flash memory is. All that matters is that it goes through a USB connection and therefore it doesn't matter if it is the fastest HD/Flash memory in existance it will still only go at 480Mbps (theoretically) but you will never get 480 Mbps it will be more like 300Mbps or less.
I am not talking about throughput (however it is spelled) read my posts a couple of times......
--
"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic inQuake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
Brantford, ON
reply to fw
Try it gman, try to play bf2 or any other recent game from a USB drive. You won't even be able to play because of lag not to mention the load times will be terrible.
--
AMD Athlon64 4000+ @ 2723mhz - mountaincable.net wireless Intarweb |Ipods SUCK

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Maybe someone here should bet some toolpoints to make it interesting.

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
Aurora, CO
said by Nightfall:

I'd be willing to bet some tool points on it. But is betting allowed?
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
said by AthlGrond:

said by Nightfall:

I'd be willing to bet some tool points on it. But is betting allowed?
Well, it isn't like this is a gambling site.

We have a few people in here saying it will/won't work and no one has tried it to say the least. Might be good to have a challenge and then test it out.
--
My Domain
Nightfall's Hockey and Life Journal

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
Aurora, CO
So who here:
A) has a USB 2.0 key drive (large enough to hold a fair sized game that takes, let's say, more than 20 seconds to load on a hard drive)
B) that we can all trust
C) is willing to try this out

I'll chip in 5 tool points (that being how many I have at the moment) towards paying for this researcher's time.
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
I shudder to think of the size of USB key you would need. It would probably have to be bigger than 2gb.

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
Aurora, CO
Looking at newegg a 4GB drive would run $85 to $280. The $280 one being a blisteringly fast 24MB/sec read and 14MB/sec write. (For comparison, sequential transfer rates from good hard drives are around 30 to 60MB/sec or if you like 60 to 88MB/sec for Raptors.)
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

said by AthlGrond:

Looking at newegg a 4GB drive would run $85 to $280. The $280 one being a blisteringly fast 24MB/sec read and 14MB/sec write. (For comparison, sequential transfer rates from good hard drives are around 30 to 60MB/sec or if you like 60 to 88MB/sec for Raptors.)
Buy me that $280 USB drive and I will do the test. You can keep the 5 toolpoints.
--
My Domain

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
Brantford, ON

1 recommendation

reply to fw
I'm going to do the test this weekend. I've got a 4gb stick here and i'll run the tests tommorow.
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
said by twizlar:

I'm going to do the test this weekend. I've got a 4gb stick here and i'll run the tests tommorow.
Take some screenshots if you can. Anything you can do to substantiate your findings would be helpful.
--
My Domain

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
Brantford, ON
reply to fw
Rgr, i'll be monitoring everything and recording it via fraps.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
Brantford, ON
reply to fw
Ok so here is the process for each test.

Device 1 - AMD 4000+, 4GB RAM, 2X36GB Raptors.
Device 2 - AMD 4000+, 4GB RAM, 120GB Seagate SATA HD 7200RPM.
Device 3 - AMD 4000+, 4GB RAM, 4GB Verbatim USB Flash Drive
Device 4 - AMD 4000+, 4GB RAM, 60GB IOStream USB2.0 2.5" External Drive.

Test 1 - Game Startup Time.

Time in seconds it takes the game to load from fresh reboot to EA account login screen. Two tests to be performed with all the movies ENABLED and DISABLED.

Test 2 - Server Load In Time.

Time in seconds it takes the game to load into 64 Player
Gulf of Oman Server Running Ranked. My ranked server will be used for all tests as to ensure consistancy server side, running with zero players. Test system will be rebooted and caches cleared before each test. (Note: this will include times to re-optimize shaders and times with no re-optimizing.)

Test 3 - FPS on Gulf of Oman.

Actual and Average FPS recorded over a 5 minute period on 64 player Gulf of Oman. FPS will be monitored with in-game "renderer.drawfps 1" as well as fraps.
--

Loker
Premium
Fargo, ND
reply to fw
I will see if I can dig out one of my 4 GB flash drives from work on monday if they are not all in use....

fw

reply to twizlar
Thanks for all the support! Can't wait to see the results!

tdkyo

join:2002-12-07
Rochester, NY
reply to fw
This should help you
»Altiris Software Virtualization Solution (SVS)

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL
reply to fw
said by fw:

said by Loker:

You mean make an illegal copy of the game? No.
--
Live Well,Laugh Often,Love Much.

knightry
I'm Not Fat, I'm Festively Plump

join:2002-05-06
Oviedo, FL
reply to fw
So twizlar, get a chance to run any of the tests this weekend?

Curious to see how this turns out.
--
It takes two to lie, Marge. One to lie, and one to listen.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
Brantford, ON
reply to fw
Yes I did, i'm currently putting all the information together. I will post shortly.
--