how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fifty504

join:2006-04-19
Milton, ON

Speedstream 6520 wifi not working

I recently got the SS 6520 at home and have set it up so that any computer connected to is using DHCP. The modem/router connects to Sympatico via built-in PPPoE. The problem is, the wireless capabilities don't seem to work. This is how I have done it:

at 192.168.2.1, under the Advanced tab:
• Internet Connection:
- PPPoE is set up and connected.
- 2684(0) 0/35: DHCP enabled (DOWN)
- 2684(0) 0/35-BRG: UP

• Home Network:
- Host Name: mynetwork
- IP Address: 192.168.2.1
- IP Netmask: 255.255.255.0
• Advanced settings:
- Modem IP Network: default sympatico settings
- Modem Server Ports: 80/21
- Modem LAN/WAN Port: LAN
- Modem Wireless Settings: Enabled
- SSID: "Home"
- Channel: 11
- Encryption: 128-bit
- SSID Broadcast enabled
- Authentication: Open System (Default)
- Wireless Filter: enabled / filter mode: allow
- Mac addresses entered correctly (i hope)
- Data Transfer rate: auto
- RTS/CTS Threshold: 2432
- Fragmentation Threshold: 2346
- Universal Plug n Play: Enable full Internet Gateway Device (IGD) support
- everything else unchecked

Firmware is updated.
I've got a PowerBook G4 with Mac OS X v 10.4.6 and AirPort Extreme card. The internet can only work on my PowerBook if I am connected with an ethernet cable to the modem/router device, and I can connect to the AirPort network "Home", but if I unplug the ethernet cable, the internet connection is lost. The AirPort signal is at full strength but there's still no internet connection.

Someone please help

anon19208743

@206.47.x.x
Do you have your WEP key entered correctly? Do you have another gateway you can test the AirPort Extreme with?

fifty504

Milton, ON
I've tested the AirPort Extreme before and it works fine. The network wouldn't allow me to join if i didn't have the WEP password correct, right?

anon19208743

@206.47.x.x
True. So you're saying you can join the network, but can't surf the web...

Can you connect to the 6520's GUI while on wireless? Try pinging the LAN ip or a website.

fifty504

Milton, ON
Yes, I can connect to the network but not the internet. I can access the modem/router's GUI wirelessly, too.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
reply to fifty504
I have experienced the same issue many times with wireless and I find it is a mistake with the wep key input on the wireless adapter.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.

fifty504

Milton, ON
meaning...?

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada
reply to fifty504
Make the wep key very simple or turn off encryption all together and test it that way.
--

fifty504

Milton, ON
OK so I went to the router settings > advanced > Home Network > Advanced Settings> Wireless...

I created a new network name with no encryption, rebooted the router, joined the network with no problem, but still won't connect to the internet. Internet still only works through ethernet.

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada
reply to fifty504
Defective SS6520.

fifty504

Milton, ON
Great, and Bell just gave it to use cause our last modem was defective too. wtf.

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to fifty504
Sh*t happens. According to how you have done your troubleshooting it only is logical that it is the modem. You said the Airport has been tested. With no encryption on you can connect to the router but cannot surf. Ethernet is functioning fully, same machine. It has to be the packet transfer during the wireless connection...no packets are getting through but the radio connection is there. Defective modem. Are you able to tag the SS6520 and tell them that the wireless is defective...sticky pad or something like that? This is to prevent another user from getting the same device shipped out to them.
--

fifty504

Milton, ON
It doesn't have anything to do with the LAN/WAN settings or something? It's really nice outside this week and i'd like to be out on the patio working wirelessly on my projects instead of stuffed indoors all day. I really don't feel like buying another friggin' modem

fifty504

Milton, ON
reply to Glen1
Oh I just discovered a wireless ROUTER that we have sitting around. Can I use the 6520 as just a modem and run it through the other wireless router?

anon19208743

@204.101.x.x
If you can access the GUI of the 6520 the WEP key IS entered correctly and wireless is functioning. Do you have a static IP on your wireless card? If it's dynamic try doing a release, renew.

fifty504

Milton, ON
oh my lord, it's working

The problem was earlier, I had to set the TCP/IP manually instead of using DHCP. Once i switched back to DHCP and renewed the lease, it started working properly. Now I can go outside and sit in the sun! Thanks for all your help

anon19208743

@204.101.x.x
Great Enjoy!