spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dlindsay17
join:2002-07-10
Los Angeles, CA

dlindsay17

PPPoE vs DHCP

I connect via PPPoE to DSLX. I was reading in a few posts that it's also possible to access DSLX via DHCP. Just wondered if there was an advantage for me to switch over to DHCP or if it's not worth the hassle if everything works fine right now

Thanks!
Dave
davelindsay[at]dslextreme.com

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

The real advantage of DHCP over PPPoE is that there are less points of failure that can cause your connection to go down. The PPPoE server and RADIUS server are critical to your connection staying up. Not so with DHCP. That said, DSLX's PPPoE and RADIUS servers are very stable from what I can gather, contrary to SBC (at least when I had PPPoE service with them). Also, if you have a router doing the PPPoE, they're usually very good at quickly re-establishing a connection so the impact is minimal/not noticable.

So I'd say don't fix something that isn't broken If you start having issues with it, consider switching to DHCP.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to dlindsay17

Premium Member

to dlindsay17
The biggest advantage to DHCP that I see is for users who connect directly to their modem. XP doesn't "seamlessly" handle PPPoE connections, you have to do some kludgy stuff like put the dial-up connection in your startup group, as opposed to it just being "always on" like it's supposed to be.

If you have a router the differences are minimal.
blacksurfer
join:2002-07-14
Sherman Oaks, CA

blacksurfer to dlindsay17

to dlindsay17
If it's available in your area I would switch. There's miniscule amount of increase in speed using DHCP.
OHN
join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI

OHN to dlindsay17

to dlindsay17
Also with PPoE the IP changes more frequently. This can become annoying when you’re hosting an FTP or server.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL

Phil to dlindsay17

Premium Member

to dlindsay17
Also, PPPoE MTU = 1492; DHCP MTU = 1500. Less overhead with DHCP.
Phil

1 edit

Phil to OHN

Premium Member

to OHN
said by OHN:

Also with PPoE the IP changes more frequently. This can become annoying when you’re hosting an FTP or server.
This is why I use the free DNS services at »www.dyndns.org. My Linksys router actually interfaces with DynDNS.org by default keeping my IP updated at all times allowing me to access my PC using one of their domains. Never have to worry about what my IP is. Oh, and you don't need a router to keep DynDNS updated as there are free clients that you can install on your PC to keep it updated.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to Phil

MVM

to Phil
said by Phil:

Also, PPPoE MTU = 1492; DHCP MTU = 1500. Less overhead with DHCP.
8 bits isn't going to make much difference. Hardly anything compared to the 15-20% of ATM. 0.5% isn't really much of a reason to switch in my opinion. That's like 4kB/s...There are much better reasons not to use PPPoE
dlindsay17
join:2002-07-10
Los Angeles, CA

dlindsay17 to djrobx

to djrobx
I remember the flack PPPoE got back when DSL providers adopted it, so I've never been a fan but I haven't had any problems with my DSLX connection via PPPoE. Just looking to streamline any handshaking that takes place. What would I need to request from them if I wanted to go DHCP?

djrobx
Premium Member
Reno, NV

djrobx to dlindsay17

Premium Member

to dlindsay17
Nothing. Just say you want to be switched, and set your network card/router to do DHCP and you can call it a day.
quote:
Never have to worry about what my IP is. Oh, and you don't need a router to keep DynDNS updated as there are free clients that you can install on your PC to keep it updated
It's still another point of failure though. My first go with router-based dynamic DNS updating resulted in nasty-grams from dyndns complaining that I was violating their TOS. I had to update firmware. Prior to that I used a dynodns that was bought out and now requires a subscription. I really prefer the simplicity of static IP.

-- Rob
cgm7
join:2002-01-29
Oakland, CA

cgm7 to dlindsay17

to dlindsay17
well, I had some experience with PPPoE and DHCP, some how dslextreme's PPPoE is not able to connect some websites, but DHCP connected ok. The only problem I am having with DHCP is I can't ping my public ip address within my LAN.. It may be my router..but never have this problem with PPPoE..

djrobx
Premium Member
Reno, NV

1 edit

djrobx to dlindsay17

Premium Member

to dlindsay17
quote:
It may be my router..but never have this problem with PPPoE..
It's your router.

-- Rob

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Could be a mis-matched MTU issue, but yes it's probably the router not clamping the MSS properly if the computer behind it is set to an MTU of 1500...
bulletban
join:2002-11-24
Temple City, CA

bulletban to dlindsay17

to dlindsay17
PPPoE vs DHCP

DHCP better.

I'm in SBC territory, CO distance 15000 ft, SBC and DSL extreme used to be my ISP, download speed cant get over 300kb, both claimed due to CO distance, both on PPPoE, after I switch to Linkline, I got download speed of average 600kb, Linkline is using DHCP, so I say DHCP is better for speed, using linkline for couple months, so far so good.

PS. I did not change speed packages, always on 1.5mb/386kb.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium Member
Downers Grove, IL

Phil

Premium Member

FYI, DSL Extreme also uses DHCP.
OHN
Appleton, WI

1 edit

OHN

Isnt this what all of the discussion has been about? He knows it is available, he just wants to know what are the pros and cons.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium Member
Downers Grove, IL

1 edit

Phil

Premium Member

said by OHN:

Isnt this what all of the discussion has been about? He knows it is available, he just wants to know what are the pros and cons.
My reply was directed at bulletban See Profile, not the topic starter. bulletban See Profile almost was implying that DHCP wasn't used by DSL Extreme.
OHN
Appleton, WI

OHN

Sorry, my bad.
TurbOn
join:2002-04-07
Hayward, CA

TurbOn to dlindsay17

to dlindsay17
Just got synched to Dslextreme Tue evening. Worked like a dog with 3 different modems between 5 different routers and could never renew the IP on the router to work correctly. Had used the 3 modems in the past 5 years with SBC on PPOE and all 5 routers worked flawlessly too. Got released from SBC 2 weeks ago after doing the Pro Package with download speeds almost always maxed pass 300 kbs. Presently now if I test my speed with the Westell B90-36R516-01, I can hit 1290/322 on Auto Dynamic DHCP. I'm wondering if anyone out here know if my Westell modem and the Speedstream 5260 Ethernet modem is the main trouble for connecting to the routers? The routers include the SMC7004BR, Sieman SS2604, Dlink DI-713P, Network Everywhere NR041 and finally the Airlink101 AR420W. Should I be switching service back to PPOE in order to be able to utilize my antique routers or should I find something newer thru Ebay ?
I'm afraid to waste time testing a Panasonic Concourse telephone ethernet router.

TurbOn....

dslx_tech
Premium Member
join:2005-10-03
Salt Lake City, UT

dslx_tech

Premium Member

All you would need to do to get the routers to work is change the WAN setup or Internet setup on some routers to DHCP or obtain automatically.
TurbOn
Hayward, CA

TurbOn

Did that....all set for auto DHCP....renewed IP and no IP shows up....they all have just reported 0 IPs. I chatted with online tech and they added full 5 total units. Is that all I can use from a router ? Strange. Could switching back to PPOE make any difference ?

TurbOn

dslx_tech
Premium Member
join:2005-10-03
Salt Lake City, UT

dslx_tech

Premium Member

If you like please send me an IM with a good contact number and I can have one of our tier 2 techs contact you to help you with the setup.
TurbOn
Hayward, CA

TurbOn

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll need to be at home later to test out the new feature along with the routers. Kinda hard to troubleshoot from work. I'll give them a call when I'm at the computer after 3:00 PM.

TurbOn
lemonade1
join:2003-12-13
Los Angeles, CA

lemonade1 to dlindsay17

to dlindsay17
i am switching to DSLextreme very soon (next month).
i notice that DSLx advertise that offer 5 DHCP dynamic ip, what do i have to do in order to make use of all 5 IPs? i am using linksys WRT54g router
thx
OHN
Appleton, WI

OHN to dlindsay17

to dlindsay17
I think you have to use a switch instead of a router and then manualy assign the IP to each machine.
brmehlman
join:2005-05-21
Richmond, CA

brmehlman

You wouldn't need manual IP assignment. I've got two routers connected to my modem with a switch, and each one pulls an IP via DHCP. As long as their MAC addresses are different, they'll pull a different IP.

You probably want to figure out why you want multiple IPs though, and only do it if it gains you something. For me, it's a side effect of wanting two local networks, one of which isn't reachable via wireless and the other of which is.

If your WRT54G is a version 4 or lower, you may be able to get third party firmware for it that will let it get multiple IPs without using a switch. Those are Linux machines, and a lot of people have done a lot of programming for them. If you have a version 5 router, you're out of luck on that one.
green_boy35
join:2004-08-05
San Diego, CA

green_boy35 to dlindsay17

to dlindsay17
In DHCP, does one require to log in with username and password every time connecting to the internet?

djrobx
Premium Member
Reno, NV

djrobx to dlindsay17

Premium Member

to dlindsay17
Nope. DHCP is the simplest possible way to connect. Plug in modem and surf.
green_boy35
join:2004-08-05
San Diego, CA

green_boy35 to dlindsay17

to dlindsay17
And DSLX uses DHCP for their Dynamic IP packages?