uniqs

ghostpainter
I Write for the Apocalypse
MVM
join:2002-05-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

ghostpainter

MVM

[OT] What State has the most Hail Storms?

Which state has the most hail storms? Not area but just One state has the most hail storms per year and also the most damaging. Some as large as 4 inches have fallen on a certain community in this state.

And please pick only one answer.

Multiple Choice Poll
Which state has the most hail storms per year?

California

Mississippi

Georgia

Colorado

South Dakota

North Dakota

Kansas

Participants:24

INTENS1
Never Stop Trying
MVM
join:2002-04-21
Midwest

INTENS1

MVM

I know Illinois isn't a choice, but the back of my house and roof looks like it should be.

Smitedogg
Uzbekikitty
Premium Member
join:2000-11-11
Pueblo, CO

Smitedogg to ghostpainter

Premium Member

to ghostpainter
I would think Colorado. We have that ugly upslope during the summer thunderstorms all along the front range (the I-25 corridor, along the eastern front of the Rockies)

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0

Premium Member

Yeah and who is down wind(movement wise)/slope of you KANSAS, also tornado central which also often generates hail.

Smitedogg
Uzbekikitty
Premium Member
join:2000-11-11
Pueblo, CO

Smitedogg

Premium Member

said by Hayward0:

Yeah and who is down wind(movement wise)/slope of you KANSAS, also tornado central which also often generates hail.
I thought about that...KS was my first guess, and I bet the majority is going to win with this one My gut keeps telling me CO wins though, because of the upslope and the air dropping off the mountains into our semi-arid climate.

damn, it's tempting to google

Dogg

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound to ghostpainter

Premium Member

to ghostpainter
I'm going with Georgia. I lived down there for 5 years back in the late 80's. To this day, I have yet to see a storm larger than several I remember down there.

Bada Bing
WVU Mountaineers
Premium Member
join:2001-05-29
Fort Gay, WV

Bada Bing to ghostpainter

Premium Member

to ghostpainter
Colorado

ghostpainter
I Write for the Apocalypse
MVM
join:2002-05-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

ghostpainter

MVM

One of tonight's weather news items was about an hail storm that damaged 34 police cars in a small community in Kansas. Hail up to 2.5 inches fell yesterday afternoon, damaging several homes, business, trees, caused about $8,000 damage to a nursery and of course broke out all of the windows on all of police force cars.

And ah no, thats not giving any hint as to the correct answer...Not yet anyway.
ghostpainter

1 edit

ghostpainter to Bada Bing

MVM

to Bada Bing
Colorado is the correct answer. And it is because of the unique up sloping that occurs on the north sides of the
Rockies looking into Montana, and all across the foothills of the front range. Huge Super Cells especially in June through September daily drop huge amounts of hail.

When Hail falls in the high Rockies but because of the attitude of the Mt's it is usually very fine or pea size. As it blows out over the lower elevations and the storms spread out that is when the heaviest and most damaging storms occur.

Northern Kansas is a close second for hail storms simply because the storms move out over Colorado into other states.