Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to glutt

Re: What does a CO look like ?

I was in one in california a few years back. A couple floors of the place were completely empty because of the ESS switches, they were able to replace all the older gear with the 5E's and get a lot of free space. They had a floor devoted to colo cages which was pretty cool. Also of course the miles of copper, fiber, and blocks!
It was pretty cool.
Jeff

cow116
Cisco Kid
Premium
join:2003-03-10
Indianapolis, IN
reply to glutt

back when i was in high school i lived in Peoria Illinois. I got to Job Shadow one of the networking guys fro Caterpillar INC. Their world HQ is in peoria. 4 floors of redudndant multi mode fiber going to each server,$20Million a month just for the internet line leases, 4 battery arrays PER floor, 3 huge diesel generators plus 2 Nat gas generators. it was nuts.

Nymostwanted
Who Cares?
Premium
join:2004-06-25
New York, NY

2 recommendations

reply to glutt

»www.wap.org/journal/cotour/default.html

Splitpair
Premium
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to justin

said by justin:

some of them are pretty ugly, from what I have heard. They are rarely as nice as even a moderately well designed computer room.
Never been in a BellSouth office have you. Most are so clean one could eat off the floor. No dust no dirt with an A/c system that filters out even the smallest particles.

Noisy hardly at all.

Another thing few relaize is they are using the same layout standards. As such a CO tech could go to any ILEC CO and work using only the WORD document as a guide.

That cannot be said for a computer/data room.

Wayne
--
If you cannot fix it with a buttset and some beanies you ain't a technician.

Splitpair
Premium
Cow Towne
reply to glutt

said by glutt :

I guess what i am asking is... How big are these things?
They vary. There are a few in major cities that are 20+ stories high there are others that are in 10 x 20 foot pre-fab concrete huts. Once and a while I work in a CO in Pompano that is under a highway if you didn't know what you where looking for you would never see the hatch to get down there.

Wayne
--

Splitpair
Premium
Cow Towne
reply to mikebb278

said by mikebb278:

If I am not mistaken, that battery plant puts out +24vdc, that is a Lucent rectifier, and by the amount of cable (and lack of fiber) that this is a CO for a mainly residential area or a small town.
I dont know about that the battery strings look wired for 48.

Wayne
--

Splitpair
Premium
Cow Towne
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

Typically +24vdc plants are for radio/cellular only. Most landline CO's are -48vdc.

Laz
If the office has a traditional switch it will be 48 volt based and I would guess that applies to 100% of ILEC offices under NEBS.

Cell sites are a mixed bag many of the older sites are 48 volt based while the x gens seem to be all 24 volt based.

Wayne
--

Splitpair
Premium
Cow Towne
reply to TomS_

said by TomS_:

Picture the isles in a supermarket
Substitute the term lineup for isles and you are in a CO.

Wayne
--

DSL Lab Rat
Runnin' On The Wheel

join:2001-04-18
Pelham, AL
reply to Splitpair

said by Splitpair:

said by LazMan:

Typically +24vdc plants are for radio/cellular only. Most landline CO's are -48vdc.

Laz
If the office has a traditional switch it will be 48 volt based and I would guess that applies to 100% of ILEC offices under NEBS.

Cell sites are a mixed bag many of the older sites are 48 volt based while the x gens seem to be all 24 volt based.

Wayne
FWIW... There are more than a few 1AESS analog central offices still out there in both ILECS and CLECS. The 1AESS requires both -48v and +24 volt battery plants ....
--
Click here for my online photo gallery

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."
Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan

(Something I can agree on with a Democrat)

iLive4Fusion
Premium
join:2006-07-13

said by DSL Lab Rat:

said by Splitpair:

said by LazMan:

Laz

Wayne
FWIW... There are more than a few 1AESS analog central offices still out there in both ILECS and CLECS. The 1AESS requires both -48v and +24 volt battery plants ....
I am in the Hoover/Helena Area and I am on a 205-426-xxxx line and we have a WECO #1AESS switch and you can hear alot of clicking during the call setup.. I am assuming that there is nothing digital about this switch?

DSL Lab Rat
Runnin' On The Wheel

Pelham, AL

The 1AESS is a stored program controlled electro-mechanical switch. The talk path thru the 1AESS is all metallic. The talk path is set up using reminant reed switches and copper junctors, and you can indeed hear the clicks during call setup and especially during call waiting and three-way calling. The operation of all those metallic paths is under computer control ... probably an AT&T 3B2 processor retrofit.

As for voice quality, except for the transient noise, the analog ESS voice quality should be as good as or better than a modern digital switch. The best that a G711 digital connection can be is only almost as good as a *properly operating* analog circuit.

However, if you are served by digital subscriber carrier from the analog switch, that adds an extra analog-to-digital conversion that can degrade quality ... especially analog modem performance.

Cheers,

Dennis
--
Click here for my online photo gallery

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."
Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan

(Something I can agree on with a Democrat)

iLive4Fusion
Premium
join:2006-07-13

I am getting DSL installed. But the Voice quality should still be good though correct?

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

said by iLive4Fusion:

I am getting DSL installed. But the Voice quality should still be good though correct?
Since DSL does not go through the switches, you may find that your voice may get better, or they could end up FUBAR'ng it up in the upgrade.
--
I threw out the map a long time ago. Now I follow my own direction!

DSL Lab Rat
Runnin' On The Wheel

Pelham, AL
reply to iLive4Fusion

said by iLive4Fusion:

Correct

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity

join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON

1 edit
reply to glutt

COs are simply glorified Datacenters run by telcos =p

forefun

join:2004-04-21
Austin, TX
reply to glutt

I worked for AT&T from 1996 to 1999 in KC in Sales. I attended a CO tour at their downtown office several times as well as a Disaster Recovery Seminar. This CO (14th & Oak in KC)contained the largest LD (4ESS) switch at the time. This was the most impressive CO I have ever seen. At one time, the 4ESS Switch took up 4 floors. The first time I toured this CO, it took up half of 1 floor. Quite impressive at the time. The other thing that impressed me about this CO was the Power. Two seperate power feeds with wet-cell batteries that would power the entire building for 8 hours and a deisel generator that would power the building indefinitely. The Network Disaster Recovery Exercise was Incredible in and of itself. Link: »www.corp.att.com/ndr/

FixManTx
Premium
join:2005-02-06
Minneapolis, MN
reply to hafizullah

Here in Houston the CO's are concrete/brick buildings 2-3 stories tall, kinda plain looking with 2-3 dozen installer trucks/vans in a fenced-in lot, and the ILEC's logo on the building. Ours just changed from SBC to AT&T. I haven't noticed a CO out in the outlying towns but I'm sure they have the same kind of buildings with Verizon's logo.

spg
Grrrr

join:2001-10-31
NOT Texas!
reply to glutt

Check out this one. I don't work this one anymore, thank goodness. It's called the Madison Complex and used to be the tallest building in LA. You could get lost in the first manhole out of this one!

»www.thecentraloffice.com/Calif/L···ison.htm

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to glutt

Boy that CO looks HUGE

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to glutt

If you're looking for a specific picture I could probably come up with something.

I looked a an ADSL cross connect block in a previous post. Yes, that is what they look like in the CO's. On the left side of the block is POTS, and on the right ADSL. In the RT's this changes! A 50 pair T1 tie pair block is installed. On T1/R1 is POTS, and T2/R2 is ADSL. The protector coil is changed out with one that has two pair coming out the top of it. The blue pair is POTS and orange is ADSL. This creates the biggest mess you can possibly imagine!!! This does not hold true for the U-Verse DSLAM's. They are hard spliced directly to a cross box.

Javik
Premium
join:2006-10-02
Gilman, WI
reply to glutt

Historical movies of phone system design/use

If you're looking for extreme-detail historical information and actual video footage of operating centrol offices, you need to head over to the Internet Archive at archive.org RIGHT NOW.

1935 Movie: Development from the beginning in 1877 to 1935, shows a map of the US as local exchanges were first installed, then long distance lines, and intercontinental lines. How loading coils improve the distance of signals, how the vacuum tube produced an explosion of growth.

Far Speaking - History of Telephone
»www.archive.org/details/FarSpeak1935

-----------

1950s Movies: Customers did not have dials. They pick up a handset on a party line and then a central office human phone operator makes the call for them on partially automated dialing equipment.

How operator toll dialing worked before automation, how the "new" automated switched toll dialing works, sounds of the early DTMF tones, a view of the relays and equipment of the CO, the construction of switching equipment at a Western Electric factory, the process of upgrading to automation across the United States.

Speeding Speech
»www.archive.org/details/Speeding1950

How to be a CO operator, how to use a rotary dial, and the call routing lookup process:

Operator Toll Dialing: Dialing
»www.archive.org/details/Operator1949_2

Various signals from the equipment to the operator.

Operator Toll Dialing: Cord Signals
»www.archive.org/details/Operator1949

Sharing the work of making connections and customer billing under heavy system load.

Operator Toll Dialing: Teamwork
»www.archive.org/details/Operator1949_4

- Javik

Lvl4Installer

@ccarnes.com
reply to glutt

Re: What does a CO look like ?

I haven't read this entire thread, but I scanned and one post by Wayne caught my eye. He said that "most Bellsouth CO's are so clean you can eat off the floor." As a turf vendor who installs in over 100 CO's, I partially agree with that statment. The one that is totally false is when he claims that they're "hardly noisy at all."

Todays CO's are incredibly loud. There is no debating that. The Nortel switches hum like mad, and the Alcatel backbone is horrible. Probably the worst of all is the cooling fans of the Alcatel 1000's. In a moderate sized office these DSLAM's were lined up 4 to 40 bays deep, and had 2 to 3 fans per bay!

A close third are the Cisco GigE switches... the 7600's I think? One local tech even called in OSHA because he felt his desk was to close to the Nortel switch. I don't know what OSHA said, but his desk was moved...

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to glutt

LMAO then you need to go visit some SxS and Crossbar COs.

Yes yes I know they don't exist now. But I would imagine the original poster was referring to them being quiet compared to these two monsters. You ain't heard noise 'till you've heard a SxS or XB switch in action.

Edit - Fans hum or roar... But there's nothing out there now that sounds like a group of 100 people, all holding a coffee can of nuts and bolts, and shaking them all at once.

retiredqwest

join:2005-04-01
Spokane, WA

1 edit
reply to Lvl4Installer

downloadstep1.wav 90,158 bytes
You want noise...

If you could play 100 of the following file at the same time....

You would have an idea of what noise is.

And then add a #5 Crossbar switch on the same floor....

Oh and this was just 3 numbers dialed.... add 4 more for effect.

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
Knowlton, QC
reply to glutt

Music to my ears!

Gawd they just don't make things like they used to.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..
reply to retiredqwest

download1200step.wav 1,323,014 bytes
You mean like this 1200 station SxS PABX?

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
Knowlton, QC
reply to glutt

Holy crap a SxS recording I HAVEN'T heard!

Where did you get that and please tell me you have more??!

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..

1 edit

I don't remember where I got it. When I get home, I'll see if I can find the site it came from, though.

Never mind, Tia just reminded me that that particular sound is from the Culver-Stockton College (Canton, MO) PABX. (I've got a lot of sounds, and it's hard to remember what is what.)

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
Knowlton, QC
reply to glutt

Feel free to send me an IM, I'd be really interested in having a bunch. SxS and crossbar are a serious hobby of mine.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to glutt

I've had the pleasure of working in many C.O.'s. All Bell. I can tell you that an RBOC C.O. makes most IT or computer rooms look like dumps.
FWIW, when times were slow we would actually *armor all* the vault cables as we went along checking bonds / grounds.

There is a certain smell to C.O.'s which is universal. It's not a bad smell, just unmistakable. It's almost pleasant if you don't have to be in there every day. Anyone who's been in one knows what I mean.

The best was being in there on Mothers Day before the digital switches went in. What a noise! The clickety-clack has now been replaced with the droning hum of fans (much like server fans). The new switches are tiny compared to the old. Many offices still use the old "cosmic" side of the frame with the new switches, which is laughable since it outsizes the switch it serves 2:1.
--
Looks like Reverend Wright got his wish - God Damn America.