Smurf in My Loop
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Fort Worth, TX

1 edit

qdemn7

Premium Member

Content Owners Again

Content owners think everyone is a thief. If you invite friends over to watch Subscription Anything, and THEY aren't paying for the service at their house they think that violates Copyright.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by qdemn7:

Content owners think everyone is a thief. If you invite friends over to watch Subscription Anything, and THEY aren't paying for the service at their house they think that violates Copyright.
this is sadly true, rumor is bar owners cant say buy a PPV of a boxing match in the same way you could at home.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to qdemn7

Premium Member

to qdemn7
yes, and your eyeballs must also be rebroadcasting the images into your brain.

so lame. slinboxes only place shift to one place right? with 1/2 a megabit or so of upload, how great can the quality be anyway? it's not like you're getting "broadcast quality" out of it unless you have some real upload... even then, it isn't being "broadcast" anywhere if it's only to one other location.

the cat is already out of the bag with technology.
these "providers" can either sell their services online themselves, or some enterprising individuals will probably figure out how to do it themselves. where's the 'vongo' for other premium channels? Is Starz the only one to have any brains regarding this?
older dog
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09

older dog to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

said by qdemn7:

this is sadly true, rumor is bar owners cant say buy a PPV of a boxing match in the same way you could at home.
I can understand a business not being allowed, since it would be a easy way to bring in customers, who would then be expected to purchase something.
Bars where I live stopped showing video tapes, HBO back in the early 80s for this reason. MPAA lawyers found even the smallest bar back then. The bars that gave free drinks to the local DA seemed immune though

As far as Slingbox lets hope the consumer wins.
DMWCincy
join:2004-04-27
Fairfield, OH

DMWCincy to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

said by qdemn7:

Bars and sports themed resturants can buy PPV but the price is crazy. Last time the resturant I worked at during HS and college years wanted to do something like that it was too high to even consider especially since we wouldn't turn the tables over alot due to people sitting and watching the event.
pabster
join:2001-12-09
Waterloo, IA

pabster to qdemn7

to qdemn7
True enough!

What is it with these "execs" and their infinite stupidity?

These industries could have reaped BILLIONS had they embraced the technology, instead of spending BILLIONS trying to fight it.
jebba2005
join:2005-01-13
Portland, ME

jebba2005 to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
Are bar owners charged per person or something ridiculous like that? I seem to remeber when Tyson was in his prime, this was the issue for all his ppv fights.

qdemn7
Smurf in My Loop
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Fort Worth, TX

qdemn7

Premium Member

said by jebba2005:

Are bar owners charged per person or something ridiculous like that? I seem to remeber when Tyson was in his prime, this was the issue for all his ppv fights.
I think they're charged by the maximum number of people allowed by the Fire Dept. Ot maybe not.
nozzer
join:2004-06-25
Winchester, MA

nozzer to jebba2005

to jebba2005
Certainly for big soccer events carried only on Setanta PPV (e.g. some of the world cup qualifiers), Setanta pays an agent to stand at the door and take $25 off everyone entering the bars showing the game!! This is the same price you pay to watch the game in your house on PPV.

noz

Toadman
Hypnotoad
join:2001-11-28
Mystery

Toadman to pabster

to pabster
I agree, HBO and most of these "upper Tier" providers need to rethink their approach.
I would be more likely to subscribe back to HBO if they offered one channel streaming on line. Then when I am at a hotel in Taiwan, I could watch HBO there. Makes more sense to me.

CrzyCrakr
Premium Member
join:2005-06-24
Edgewater, MD

CrzyCrakr to qdemn7

Premium Member

to qdemn7
said by qdemn7:

I think they're charged by the maximum number of people allowed by the Fire Dept. Ot maybe not.
Yes that is correct. When I used to run a Gentleman's Club in Baltimore, I put up Pro Sports on the TVs and that is how Direct TV charged the club.