Ramblings from a dinosaur

HBO? Are they still around?

ricep5
Premium
join:2000-08-07
Jacksonville, FL

said by jjoshua:

HBO? Are they still around?
I haven't had a need nor desire to watch HBO in over 10 years.

It originally was a movie channel, they couldn't compete there so they moved to movies with limited sports like boxing and football commentary, they couldn't compete there, so now they move to documentaries (mostly about sex habits), can't compete there, so now its original programming (ie: Sopranos, Six Feet Under). They can't compete there because current technology trumps captive programming.

The current cash cow is the Sopranos and I know some people have 'at home' parties around the new episodes. Some simply wait for a torrent to appear. The DVD's come out within a month or two at the end of the season.

No one expects McDonald's food to stay fresh for more than a few hours, so why does HBO think their programming can be kept in a can for more than 6 months? Cable TV is the McDonalds of entertainment.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to jjoshua

I can see this happening

MPAA has launched a massive lawsuit against all manufactures of coaxial cable. In this law suit the MPAA contends companies such as Belden are encouraging rebroadcasting of copyrighted content because of their encouragement of sales of coaxial cable to consumers. Debbie Dumasaposta spokes person for the MPAA complains it is a copyright infringement to use coaxial cable to rebroadcast a program to another television in a the house without paying for it.
--
Low voltage Tech's are wimps, Real tech's use 45 pound filament transformers, plate voltages no less then 2400 volts with at least 10 amp's lighting 8877 triodes...BPL I'm coming to get you.

apollo80

join:2002-01-31
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

As silly and far fetched as your joke is...it will only be a matter of time before thinking like this actually happens. Ah, the irony of truth...

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to ricep5

Re: Ramblings from a dinosaur

quote:
They can't compete there because current technology trumps captive programming
They can compete there, because they can offer uncensored shows. The Sopranos wouldn't really fly on network TV. Even shows like Six Feet Under which could technically work on network TV are just so much better with "natural" swearing and nudity instead of the stifled stuff we get on primteime networks.

Having Video On Demand really makes the premium networks shine. Unlesss you want shows in HD, you don't even need a DVR. If they could get HBO HD content in VOD it would rock. I can honestly say that VOD has finally made premiums worth the monthly price. We really use HBO a lot that way.

-- Rob
--
\\ROB - a part of the SCB local network

Transmaster

Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

reply to apollo80

Re: I can see this happening

said by apollo80:

As silly and far fetched as your joke is...it will only be a matter of time before thinking like this actually happens. Ah, the irony of truth...
I know it can happen. These clowns do not live on the same planet we do.
--
Low voltage Tech's are wimps, Real tech's use 45 pound filament transformers, plate voltages no less then 2400 volts with at least 10 amp's lighting 8877 triodes...BPL I'm coming to get you.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to apollo80

The RIAA already gets royalties on blank music CDs.

Transmaster

Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

said by moonpuppy:

which you can avoid by purchasing CD that are for data. There is no difference except for the packaging which is another illustration of just how stupid these RIAA types think we are.
--

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
reply to Transmaster

They going to come after my wireless router too?
I can slam HDTV to #2laptop anywhere in or around the house at ~22mbps. Plenty of speed for HDTV, or anything else I wish.

Since laptop #1 has Media Server software on it... are the asswipes coming after me?
With a little creative compression, buffering, and my 768k upload... I can send programming anywhere.

As soon(if ever) ISPs start delivering more horsepower, the xxAAs are a memory!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to Transmaster

said by Transmaster:

said by moonpuppy:

which you can avoid by purchasing CD that are for data. There is no difference except for the packaging which is another illustration of just how stupid these RIAA types think we are.
Already do that except for one set of Verbatims that look like old 45's.

BTW, I wonder if they will want a fee on 52ohm coax?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to djrobx

Re: Ramblings from a dinosaur

said by djrobx:

quote:
They can't compete there because current technology trumps captive programming
They can compete there, because they can offer uncensored shows. The Sopranos wouldn't really fly on network TV. Even shows like Six Feet Under which could technically work on network TV are just so much better with "natural" swearing and nudity instead of the stifled stuff we get on primteime networks.
It works in other countries, they have full frontal nudity on over the air T.V.
We are just far too prudish here in usa. look at the problems a view of 5secs or less of a tit at the superbowl caused.
here if we want to hear "fuck", "shit" or the other 5 words you cant say on OTA TV, we have to pay ~$15/month for premium channels.
--
You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much Bandwidth

Transmaster

Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

4 edits

The censorship in this country sometimes is sometimes ridiculous. I am huge fan of Hayao Miyazaki. In his anmie movie My Neighbor Totoro there is a scene in this absolutly charming story where the Father is bathing with his daughters in the Japanese style. But because it shows animated and naked 11-year-old Satsuki and her sister 4-year-old Mei Kusakabe it is gone from the Walt Disney version. I can understand why Disney did this there would be some group out there that would see evil in this, and to Disney it just isn't worth the hassle. This is one of the reasons why I purchase my DVD's of anmie directly from Japan I pay more but I get Miyazaki's works as he intended them to be seen. This holds true with the other anmie studios in Japan a well.

DISH NETWORK ARE YOU READING THIS I WANT THE ANMIE CHANNEL AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!
--

Expand your moderator at work