spc
Search similar:

uniqs
andranic
join:2002-07-20
Bayside, NY

andranic

speed issue after geting voip

i was hoping someone can help me out. i have a 6.0/768 onelink install and just signed up for voip with speakeasy. everyone was going great untill a daybefore i installed the voip. normally when i do a speedtest i get abou8t 680k/80k (yea its great speeds) but for some reason now im geting 500k/80k my download has fallen a little and i dont know why. i called up speakeasy and we did a setup from the modem to my computer and there was no difference. i have pretty much done everything on my end to fix this problem but nothing is helping.... so what can it be??

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

Michieru2

Premium Member

Call Speakeasy and ask for your line margins.

Your download margin:
Your upload margin:

Check your telephone wire, have the tech test the line margins again with a new telephone wire. Rerun speed tests, and check for leetness.

That is all, good day sir.
jmcaruso
join:2001-09-07
Rowley, MA

jmcaruso to andranic

to andranic
The VOIP should not impact your throughput at all (unless you are in a call). Have you tried a different speed test site to get a second data point? My favorite is myspeed.visualware.com. Second, have you tried power cycling your modem to let it re-train? Finally, maybe your s/n margins are borderline low, and your modem needs to step down the speed. If you have a modem that reports the margins and if you know how to login to it, then see what the margins are. Anything less than 10 and you probably will not be solid at the fastest speed. The 6.0 is pushing the limit of what a lot of phone lines can support. If not, you can ask Speakeasy for your margins by calling them or by asking Adam A. for help on this forum. Good luck.
andranic
Bayside, NY

andranic

called speakeasy and my margins were 17 both ways.. thats why i cant understand why the lack of speed

drmorley
MVM
join:2000-12-20
Three Lakes, WI

drmorley

MVM

I had the same problem when I added SE VOIP to my 6.0/768 line. All of a sudden my top speeds were reduce whether I was on the phone or not. I called up the VOIP department and a rep changed a setting and all went back to normal.

I believe they sometimes (for whatever reason) allocate a certain portion of your circuits available bandwidth for VOIP traffic.

Give them a call and they'll take care of the issue for you.
andranic
Bayside, NY

andranic

well its been 2 days now and it looks like since i called speakeasy my speed has gone down a little more.... its interesting becasue i dont see anything under the ticket i opened i spoke to a few people i know with speakeasy and they told me to tell speakeasy to reset my card.. i did tell them but i dont see anything was done right now im on hold with them so lets see what happens this time... itsvery annoying up untill now i have never really had a issue with them
andranic

andranic

just to give you a update still no improvment anyone have any ideas for me

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Michieru2

Premium Member

Ask them to reprovision your line, check your margin and run tests. Then run the ping command to your gateway.

After that have you installed any software like a software firewall or some type of packet inspector in between?

Is your computer properly configured?

Did you try resetting the ADSL modem by holding down the key, waiting 30 seconds and plugging it back in?

Does your ADSL modem act as a bridge? Is there a router in between?

Can you telnet into your ADSL modem or does it have a web based interface to test out modem settings and actual speed rates?

andranic
Bayside, NY

andranic

here is the latest i have tryed everything. right now im running striaght into th modem from the comptuer andim still geting the same speeds. they are starting to think its the modem thats acting up so they will be sending me a new one today i should get it tomorrow... i will keep u guys updated

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Michieru2

Premium Member

If the modem is providing you a lower speed but a solid connection than it cannot be the modem itself, are you sure you did not change any network settings on your computer recently?
andranic
Bayside, NY

andranic

i actually did some changes i added another network connection to my comptuer but im sure thats not the problem becasue i have a laptop that was just formated and when i conected it directly into the modem i was still geting the same speed.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Michieru2

Premium Member

Are we operating at 10mbps half duplex or 100mbps full duplex?
andranic
Bayside, NY

andranic

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Michieru2

Premium Member

Whose the modems manufacture.

drmorley
MVM
join:2000-12-20
Three Lakes, WI

drmorley to andranic

MVM

to andranic
Assuming Speakeasy confirmed that your sync speeds are correct. I would call at speak to their VOIP group and explain the situation. Ask to have the CIR for your VOIP TA turned down.

I had the same problem as you and a simple five minute phone call cleared up the issue and my speeds went back to normal.