how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ryanski

join:2005-11-08
Houston, TX

T1

I have a good question I think. There are lots of companies out there and I have been looking for a good backbone. Does anyone know how the speakeasy T-1's are? Can anyone vouch for another companies who they know have a good backbone?

Another question is...How does Verizon FiOS work? Is it full duplex or half duplex? I mean does it compare to T-1 with reliability, dedicated speed, etc?

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

1 edit
Doing some research Verizon Fios is half duplex, no it does not compare to a T1 we are talking about garaunteed reliability here.

Speakeasy operates there own network and most likely uses Covad for it's T1 services. Covad itself is a great provider and while there costly they provide great service and reliability as well does Speakeasy.

You can use dslreports to find other T1 providers in your area, most likely there shall be and probably by big name companies. But compare the services by calling Speakeasy and another company who might provide.

You might be interested into looking at SDSL which provides the same speed as a T1 costs less and it still has a 99.9% uptime SLA guarantee.

Explore your options carefully ryanski.

EDIT: T1's are full duplex.

ryanski

Houston, TX

1 edit
Is SDSL full duplex? and is it shared bandwith like traditional DSL? Also is it given priority like T-1 is on the backbone or no?

drmorley
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-20
Park Ridge, IL
Yes, SDSL is full duplex. Keep in mind though that whether you're talking about a dial-up connection or a DS3 if you saturate the upstream it'll seriously cripple your downstream connection.

Keep in mind that all bandwith is shared/oversold.

ryanski

Houston, TX
If SDSL is reliable and the speed is the same as T-1. Then why would you want T-1? For the scaleable options or what?

Does T-1 still get more priority over SDSL.

drmorley
Premium,MVM
Park Ridge, IL
said by ryanski:

If SDSL is reliable and the speed is the same as T-1. Then why would you want T-1? For the scalable options or what?

Does T-1 still get more priority over SDSL.
I have no idea how Speakeasy routes network traffic. I couldn't say if T-1 traffic gets priority over all other traffic.

T-1s are available everywhere and are not distance dependant like SDSL. If they go down the ILEC will react to getting your circuit back up online much faster than your SDSL circuit. Most T-1 problems are fixed within four hours whereas with SDSL there's no guarantee as to when they'll fix it. They might start working on a problem right away with SDSL, however there's no guarantee. T-1s are a regulated tariffed product unlike DSL.

You haven't stated what your application is so I couldn't offer my $.02 as to what solution might be best for you.

ryanski

Houston, TX
Ya,

I am gonna be using it for hosting game servers and what not.

below is the link if you look and read about the T-1 they tell you it is prioritized near the bottom.

»www.speakeasy.net/business/t1/

drmorley
Premium,MVM
Park Ridge, IL
Is there any reason you haven't looked into colocation? For about 50% of the cost of a T1 you can drop your server into a great data facility with access to speeds 100x faster than a T1.

ryanski

Houston, TX

1 edit
Yea, colocation won't suffice for what I am aiming for. Besides the cost difference isn't that big of a deal. Unless its the same thing, example would be SDSL. I don't want to pay for T-1 service if SDSL is exactly the same.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL
Last time I checked Speakeasy has plan for running game servers.

But if you plan to run your own thing SDSL will be the best option for you. Call Speakeasy and check to see what's available for you in the area. Most LAN party businesses use SDSL.

drmorley
Premium,MVM
Park Ridge, IL
That's the problem. I think T1 is the only thing available to him at his home.

ryanski

Houston, TX
SDSL is not available by speakeasy I believe because of a remote terminal. Is SDSL the same latency as T-1?

drmorley
Premium,MVM
Park Ridge, IL
T1 will have slightly better latency that SDSL. If SDSL isn't available though then it's a moot point anyway.

NetEngineer9

join:2004-03-25
Kingston, WA
reply to ryanski
SDSL is not the same as a T1.

Read Speakeasy's SDSL SLA and compare it to their T1 SLA. »www.speakeasy.net/sla/

SDSL:
Speakeasy guarantees 80% throughput on all SDSL and IDSL services.

Speakeasy's target response time for initializing service restoration following phone notification of a SDSL or IDSL service outage is 24 hours.

Speakeasy provides an uptime availability target of 99.9% for SDSL or IDSL services each calendar month.

T1:
Speakeasy provides an uptime availability target of 99.99% for T1 services each calendar month. (that's one more 9)

Speakeasy's target response time for initializing service restoration following phone notification of a T1 service outage is 4 hours.

Speakeasy guarantees 100% throughput on T1 loops between the customer premise and Central Office

Speakeasy guarantees a maximum average latency of 60 milliseconds from your router to a test point on the Speakeasy network.

Packet return is guaranteed at a minimum hourly average of 99.8% from your router to a test point on the Speakeasy network.
--
Marcus G Croman
-CEO
Lazarus Networks
Silverdale: 360.447.0110
Gig Harbor: 253.238.2949
Shelton: 360.545.6605
info@lazarusnetworks.com

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1
reply to ryanski
Speakeasy T1's use the covad atm network so the latency is almost the same as sdsl. Its not like a real ptp T1 with 10ms latency to your first couple hops.