All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BiGdUsTy
join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL

BiGdUsTy

The Edge now with half a megabit less bandwidth!

For months after upgrading to the edge i have been getting 1024KB + on the download speeds and have been loving it. But as of about 1:30am last night Knology decides to chop a half megabit off my speeds. Is this a bait and switch, give them 8 megabits for a few months then start trimming it back down to 7 to save money or what?

Last Result:
Download Speed: 7712 kbps (964 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 456 kbps (57 KB/sec transfer rate)

I want my 1 Megabyte/sec back.
c0nc3pts6
join:2005-01-13
Columbus, GA

c0nc3pts6

Results of my Edge service.

BroadStar, Miami, FL, USA Test Server:

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-05-19 03:18:40 EST:
6525 / 479
Your download speed : 6525 kbps or 815.6 KB/sec.
That is 46.5% better than an average user on knology.net

Your upload speed : 479 kbps or 59.9 KB/sec.
That is 40.4% better than an average user on knology.net

------------------------------------------------------------

Knology Speedtest Server:

speedtest.knology.net speed test result on 2006-05-19 03:22:00 EST

Download Speed: 5.55Mbs
Upload Speed: 505kbps

------------------------------------------------------------

During the day it's WAY lower, I haven't witnessed 7-8 Mbs on a speedtest yet. The upload tends to stay above 500kps anytime of the day, which is good. I've heard of speed upgrades for Edge, I wonder how soon and if it was true....

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22 to BiGdUsTy

to BiGdUsTy
AFAIK, It has never been marketed to what you had been getting.
quote:
“The Edge,” Knology's new 7 Mbps Internet service (up to 7 Mbps download speed and 512k upload speed)
So I guess you were getting better than advertised for awhile.

BiGdUsTy
Panama City Beach, FL

BiGdUsTy

True it was only marketed as 7 but i hoped they would have left it at 8 and competed with comcast and there 8 Mbps tier.
However knology has never really competed with anybody in PC they just go about doing there thing and at there own pace.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
Panama City, FL

goober22

Somewhat true, but in their defense, they offer full usenet access using usenetserver; 6 connections with no max. Comcast has that 2GB cap & threatens or drops users that exceed their "unknown" limit.

Knology has HDnet, HDnet Movies, Universal-HD; just added TNT-HD & ESPN2-HD. Comcast only has TNT-HD out of those. They also have Boomerang, ESPNU, FitTV, NASA, Oxygen, Lifetime Real Women, WE, Bloomberg, Playboy Monthly, Fuel, Tennis, CSTV and a handful of other channels - none carried here by Comcast. I see where they recently signed VOD agreements for content and programming so I would expect it to be coming in the near future as well.

BiGdUsTy
Panama City Beach, FL

BiGdUsTy

Threes no way i could ever use comcast for my isp id get letters in the mail every day. That's one of the reasons I've stuck with knology all these years. Usenetserver is good but i use it as a backup to giganews as they have far better completeness.

As for the tv side of things i have no use for the HD stuff until i can get a new set to watch it on. The VOD stuff will be cool to have even though a local office person told me that they saw no future in VOD and planed not to offer it here. Maybe they had a change of heart and i can finally have wwe 24/7.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
Panama City, FL

1 edit

goober22

Yeah, I had Comcast back in the @home days but switched everything over to Knology when @home folded. They have been my ISP & phone provider ever since.

I have no problems with UNS. Their retention seems to be increasing and I usually have enough pars if I do run across an incomplete post. When they had Supernews I started looking around (was looking at newshosting) but then USN came onboard and, after a rough startup, seems to be running pretty smooth.

As far as HD, I have 8 TVs with 2 being HD (65" main set and a 30" bedroom), so the tv side is pretty important. We got 5 people (aged 7 to 83) so everyone's taste is pretty different.

BTW, here's the VOD info:
»www.tvn.com/press_detail ··· /20/2006