how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

msommo

join:2006-05-21
Commack, NY

Cablevision VOIP and ADT Home Alarm Problem

Cablevision just installed their VOIP service in my home and now ADT(home alarm monitoring service) cannot monitor my home. ADT can resolve this by installing a digital control box (not sure what it's really called) to replace my analog box for approx $150 plus an additional $5 each month on top of their regular fee.

The salesman from CV clearly understood that I had a home alarm and assured me on several occasions that this install would have no impact on my alarm. He visited my home on at least 4 different occasions to offer various packages and now is involved in this post installation issue.

Should I expect CV to handle this newly created problem with ADT or should I handle myself? I just feel as though CV did not do their due diligence and properly determine that the installation of VOIP would not affect my alarm company.

Of course if anyone is familiar with this issue and can advise alternate ways to proceed, I'm all ears

Totally different subject, but was just poking around some other threads and saw a number of items on "porting" numbers? Not technical at all so what I read was over my head. Will this give better sound quality? What is the point of doing if? If it helps, my area code and exchange are (631) 462-XXXX

Thanks!

CVNotLiable

@optonline.net

You should have contacted ADT first before you went and installed the VOIP. This would have allowed ADT to tell you what was needed to make sure they could monitor your home via VOIP with Opt Voice.

You must take responsibility, not CV.

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to msommo

Call CV and tell them the installation didn't meat your needs as they outline at »www.optimumvoice.com/index.jhtml···e=wiring

It looks like your ADT system wasn't connected properly to be able to seize the OV line.

Porting just means you have an existing number with, as an example, Verizon on your regular phone line. You want your VOIP (CV OV's, Vonage, Packet8, etc) number to be that number and not a new one. You would then port your existing number over to the new phone service provider. It's not different in concept then if you have a cell phone and switch providers and want to keep the same cell phone number.
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

guyver01
In Brightest Day

join:2001-01-04
Littleton, CO
reply to msommo

ADT likes to tell customers they need additional products to get it to work... tell ADT to switch the Alarm Box dialing from Rotary Pulse to TouchTone dialing and you will be fine... no $150 install needed, no "cellular backup" needed.
--
I walk a lonely road The only one I that have ever knownDon't know were it goesBut its home and I walk alone I walk this empty streetOn the Blvd. of broken dreamsWere the city sleepsAnd I'm the only one and I walk alone

stu

join:2000-11-03
Patchogue, NY
reply to msommo

If you have used ADT for the required time to pay off your system you should own it.

Try switching to »nextalarm.com

They are cheaper and helpful in changing settings.

Stu

ace41690

join:2003-01-24
Northfield, CT
reply to msommo

Same thing happened to me. I thought OV would work with my alarm but I have ADT and it didnt, they also told me to spend a counple hundred dollars and get some kind of converter box. I just ended up keeping one of my regular SBC phone lines and I use that for fax and the alarm.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
·DIRECTV
reply to stu

One thing i have learned about alarms. Stick with the big guys like ADT and such. you may pay more but in the end you are better off. I have seen alot of the small cheaper guys go out of buisness and not even tell there customers(happened to my grandparents)

msommo

Commack, NY

Thanks for all the replies!

Just stopped by to see if anyone had replied yet so I briefly read through your suggestions but will sit down later to figure out the next step. Thank you!

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

ADT is trying to screw you more than they already have with their inflated rates. You shouldn't have to pay any more. guyver01 gives good advice.

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
·DIRECTV

said by Bobcat79:

ADT is trying to screw you more than they already have with their inflated rates. You shouldn't have to pay any more. guyver01 gives good advice.
Yeh if you want no one to come when your alarm goes off

msommo

Commack, NY

ADT's position is that due to the unreliable nature of the VOIP service, they cannot guarantee 100% monitoring. They are trying to cover their ass. Hence the cellular backup offer.
I've received more details from ADT over this option. The cost of the unit and install is $200.00 with an additional $5.00 per month added on for monitoring.
So far, I have gotten Cablevision to agree to pay $100.00 towards the unit & install and 1 year of the additional monitoring fee ($60.00 for the year).
They know I am still not happy (hehe) so I expect them to eventually agree to pick up the whole tab.
At this point, it has nothing to do with the money. I just want CV to feel a little pain caused by their lies and deceitfulness.

msommo

Commack, NY

And as far as switching alarm companies...

I've been down this road in the past and to be honest, they all kinda suck. I've tried ADT, Brinks, Slomins, Ademco and 2 smaller companies through recommendations from friends. Brinks was OK, Slomins was terrible as was Ademco. The 2 smaller companies were even worse. My opinions are primarily related to their response times to alarm signals.

For each company, during initial trial periods, I set off the alarm (oops! ), did not answer the phone when they called and waited to see how long it took the cops to show up. I know that is wasteful to do so please don't bother to flame me.
ADT generally called within one minute of the alarm going off which I think is very good. Brinks was a close 2nd with the worst 2 being Slomins (well over 5 minutes) as well as 1 of the smaller companies (who never called the house )
Anyway, ADT has been consistently responsive which is all I can really ask for.
2 of my best friends are Suffolk County cops and both told me that home alarms are low priority. If they are available, units will respond but only if they are pretty much just sitting around doing nothing.
All alarm companies have to deal with this fact so I prefer to go with someone who at least seems to have their act together.

bibbyf16

join:2002-06-09
New Hyde Park, NY
reply to msommo

i have adt and opt voice and it works fine. i had a faulty motion sensor on my second floor which went off twice and the cops came both times. i also set off the alarm myself by accident (was a bit slow) and adt called within the minute. (this all happened in the past two months) so it works, they did their enhanced wiring and i've had no problems. i've been thinking of switching to nextalarm but i still have a year and half left with adt and i'm satisifed with them so i'm not sure if i should try nextalarm. i know its cheaper but should i mess with a good thing?

msommo

Commack, NY

I agree bibby.
Why mess with something that actually works.
Sure you'll save a few bucks a month with nextalarm or another smaller company but what happens when they go out of business?

stu

join:2000-11-03
Patchogue, NY
reply to msommo

I switched to next alarm in Dec. So far, 3 times, twice with guy who waters our plants when we are away and once myself when I was slow in entering the code, they have called within a minute. With the other person they told me the code entered ( he got it right but late and his user number)so I knew who was there.

I can also monitor who comes in from the internet. This is a function of some systems but mine is an Adamo system (Honeywell now).

So far they seem responsive and fast.

Stu

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
·DIRECTV
reply to msommo

said by msommo:

I agree bibby.
Why mess with something that actually works.
Sure you'll save a few bucks a month with nextalarm or another smaller company but what happens when they go out of business?
Which is exactly what happened to my relatives. There alarm company went out of buisness(kept billing them, another whole story) and when they called them one day over something they found out they went out of buisness about 6 months ago. They have switched to ADT and have opt voice with no issues