uniqs
adamA6
Adam Alexander
join:2003-09-23
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

adamA6 to Airplane777

to Airplane777

Re: SE equipment right after Covad DSLAMS ?

Airplane777 -

Speakeasy has published a white paper on our network architecture, located here:
»www.speakeasy.net/pdf/Sp ··· aper.pdf

The information you're asking for is specifically documented on page 15 of the white paper.

Basically, the last mile connectivity (supplied by Covad, New Edge Networks, Qwest, AT&T, etc. depending on your location and subscribed service) from your location to the Central Office is connected directly to a DSLAM (DSL Access Multiplexer). For lineshare ADSL, additional components such as voice/data splitter cards exist at the CO as well.

Once the traffic is terminated at the DSLAM, it's aggregated to an ATM circuit (DS3, OC3, etc.) by our vendor to their BPX within their ATM network.

The handoff from our vendor to Speakeasy occurs on a DS3 or OC3 referred to as a backhaul. Most of our Points of Presences (POPs) have multiple backhauls, often a combination of DS3's and OC3's to haul our customer's traffic to our POP.

Once you're at the POP, our edge router handles the subscriber piece of the equation, hands the traffic off to our core router, which routes your traffic through our private network, to a peering partner or out to the Internet.

The white paper does a much better job of elaborating on the details, but this should give you a start.

More information on our network is available at:
»www.speakeasy.net/network

Thanks,
Airplane777
join:2004-06-20

Airplane777

Hi Adam:

Wow. Very good information.

I'm not getting the longer intermittant outages that I use to. Most of the time it is about 5 to 10 seconds. I use a pinging program to tell me the time of day it happens. I just don't know if it is happening due to the copper line I have or something else up to the Redback router.

The Covad guy was out at my place and did notice he was getting different distance readings, so he opened up a trouble ticket with Verizon. I'm hoping that might be the problem.

Thats why I was trying to learn more about the architecture. That paper you linked to sure is great. Sounds like you really know the technical setup real well.

I'm waiting to see if I can get my dsl circuit more stable. If so, then I want to get another SE dsl circuit for a client of mine, who wants me to set up a WISP in their neighborhood.

Thanks
TheOtherPete
join:2001-06-28
Boyds, MD

TheOtherPete to adamA6

to adamA6
Thanks Adam, that is a great document.

FYI there is a typo on page 7, the reference to »www.lg.speakeasy.net doesn't work, I found that it does work if I remove the "www", e.g. »lg.speakeasy.net/