Search similar:

uniqs

tempnexus
Premium Member
join:1999-08-11
Boston, MA

tempnexus

Premium Member

Problem with DELL Latitude D800 BIOS password.

OK so I inherited a corporate laptop from the company (it's still a corporate laptop since it's a job laptop). Now the guy who had it last (he quit) has setup an Administrator Password which prevents me from chaneging the BIOS settings (One of them being enabling the WiFi card). Now he did not set the boot password nor drive password, so the laptop boots fine and everything is great, I can even enter the bios, I just can't change anything in the bios.
Now how the hell do I go about removeing the BIOS adminstrator password?
P.S.
You can PM me the answer if you don't want to reveal it here.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Don't quote me, but resetting the cmos, on first boot should ask if you want to enter bios and change settings, or load default values. All passwords are wiped.

At least it does on the computers i've played with, not sure of Dell equipment though

tempnexus
Premium Member
Boston, MA

tempnexus

Premium Member

Oops I forgot to mention that it's a laptop so I don't know how to reset the bios in laptops.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
The obvious answer would be to have your boss contact the "quitter" and get the password from him. Or was he a "feudin', rude, lewd dude with an attitude about the Latitude" when he quit?

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
This help at all ?

»support.dell.com/support ··· E3FB44C5

tempnexus
Premium Member
Boston, MA

1 edit

tempnexus to AB57

Premium Member

to AB57
Don't know how he quit and what happened but my boss is not the type of a person to go around contacting people.

I tried our tech support people (those who dispatch the laptops) and all I heard from them was: "What password?" That was enough to confirm that they didn't know anything about that.

From what I can see (google searching) is to actually solder in a bypass chip....that I don't want to do. I mean all I really want to do is ENABLE the WiFi Card and change the boot sequence to prevent booting from CD or Floppy first.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
That link didnt help much. There should be a battery inside, not the big one, but a small silver one that needs to be pried off the motherboard gently. I can't seem to find much info on a jumper for resetting it. Ill keep looking at Dell, but in the mean time, maybe someone knows of where the jumper is, if there is one.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
said by tempnexus:

Don't know how he quit and what happened but my boss is not the type of a person to go around contacting people.
Real "take charge" guy/gal, eh?
Sorry then, don't have anything further to offer on the subject. Good luck!

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
this is what it looks like

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
Actually, I do have one more thing to offer, if norwegian can't help you. Find one of those "password cracker" programs & run it. If it's not a real tough password, should cut through it like butter.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

3 edits

norwegian to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
I will never buy a DEll after reading up on this. Is your boss the first owner of this computer, because if he is, you can ring Dell, with the info they require off your boss(place of buying, serial #'s etc), and they will give you a master password, but it looks as if you need to solder a wire in to do it from what i've read.

Good luck

Edit: this may help - »markus.birth-online.de/i ··· b24519bf

Read up there is a couple of links off this that seem to help, without soldering, by using software
This is linked off the page i just mentioned - »www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

tempnexus
Premium Member
Boston, MA

tempnexus

Premium Member

And here lies the rub.
You see I can access my laptop. I can boot fine, I can do everything, I can even access the BIOS. I just can't change a single item in the bios, even the date.
The laptop I have comes with 3 different types of passwords:
1) System Password (BOOT Password) (what your link is describing)
2) HarDrive Password (self explanatory)
3) Adminstrative Password (Everything works perfect, you don't even know it's there untill you want to edit the BIOS...you can even enter the BIOS (that's how I set my boot password and HD password...yeah you can set those even with Admin password set....weird).

So as you can see, I don't even get a promt with any AlphaNumerical crypto sequence that I can enter and have it decrypted with a master password. Since everyting boots fine.

Well I guess I will just have to peform a full drive encryption and use my own WiFi Card. I really wanted to use the onboard WiFi card since it's secured with our security department and I don't have to go through tons of paperwork to have it registered...oh well.

marti
Color outside the lines
MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

marti to tempnexus

MVM

to tempnexus
I would go back to the person that signed the computer out to you and politely ask that it be made functional or they give you a computer that is functional.

foxsteve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Campbell, CA

1 edit

foxsteve to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
May be CIA Commander help you »www.datapol-technologies ··· dex.html

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

1 recommendation

AB57 to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
Sounds like you're screwed. I'm with Marti. I'd go back to that "take charge" boss of yours and tell him/her that you need something else, end of story. (And pleeeeeeze don't tell us that you can't do that!!!)

marti
Color outside the lines
MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

marti to tempnexus

MVM

to tempnexus
I made my statement about going back to the company and asking for a "fix" or a computer that works for one reason. It is not your computer and the company should provide a working system if it is a tool that you need to do your job.

tempnexus
Premium Member
Boston, MA

tempnexus

Premium Member

Yeap seeing that it's a lost hope without openning the PC and acutally doing a soldering job and replacing the EEPROM with a empty one then I will take a safe route and have it swaped.
iowaboy
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA

iowaboy to marti

Premium Member

to marti
how about using a program called KillCmos. It is a free program that is very old but still resets the bios to default level therefore clears all passwords in the bios. The program I have fits on a floppy but I also have it saved to a bootable cd.

tempnexus
Premium Member
Boston, MA

tempnexus

Premium Member

Interesting I wonder if it will work. But then again I don't want to totally ruin the laptop just in case it nukes it beyond recovery. Will have to investigate.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by tempnexus:

. . .I don't want to totally ruin the laptop just in case it nukes it beyond recovery.
Actually, I like the sound of it! They'd have to give you a new one then, wouldn't they?
jakoe420
join:2003-09-05
Knoxville, TN

jakoe420 to tempnexus

to tempnexus
dell_service_tag.zip
557,483 bytes
(dell_service_tag.iso)
If you can boot from a CD, you can burn this ISO to a CD and boot from it, then you can reset/delete and change your SERVICE TAG, which will also remove any password stored on the EEPROM.

dankbud420
@comcast.net

dankbud420

Anon

i love u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does this work on ALL dells?